contest for poets age 13-18: Gypsy Slam Poetry Prize
- Gypsy Slam Poetry Prize Guidelines
download required entry form at
The Gypsy Slam Poetry Prize honors young writers ages 13–18 who have an interest in the art of poetry. One first prize
winner will receive a literary gift basket and be invited to perform at the Gypsy Slam Promotional Showcase in August.
Four additional finalists will also be invited to present their submitted poem at the Promotional Showcase.
We are honored to have as our judge the poet and performance artist Patricia Smith, four-time individual champion on the
National Poetry Slam and a past presenter at our own Women Writers Conference.
• Please submit two blind copies of the manuscript, and our required entry form
• The author’s name or address must not appear anywhere on the manuscript
• Type on standard white paper, one side of the page only
• Paginate correctly
• Each piece submitted should be accompanied by a separate entry form.
• There is a handling fee for each submission. Each poem is $5.
• Checks should be made payable to Women Writers of Kentucky.
• If multiple pieces are entered with only one entry fee, only the first submission will be accepted.
• Manuscripts must be postmarked by July 31, 2008.
• Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you would like notification that the manuscript has been received.
• We strongly advise that you send your manuscript first class.
Also, keep the following in mind:
• Submission of more than one piece is permissible if each manuscript is accompanied by a handling fee.
• Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered.
• Previously published works are permissible.
• The contest is open to any writer of English aged 13–18.
• We cannot return manuscripts.
• Contest results will be posted on our website by August 21. Winners will be notified immediately.
Please send entries to:
Women Writers of Kentucky
232 East Maxwell Street
Lexington, KY 40506-0344
Direct inquiries to: biancalynne@...
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]