poetry book contest: Quercus Review Press

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2008
      http://www.quercusreview.com/current_issue.htm
      MANUSCRIPTS should include a brief cover letter that includes author's name, address, phone number, e-mail address, book title, and brief biography; an acknowledgments page listing previously published poems; table of contents; 48–96 pages of original poetry; and an SASE for reply or return of manuscript (as requested). Manuscripts should be unbound, typed, & page numbered. Clear photocopies are acceptable. We will consider simultaneous submissions, but we ask that you notify us if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.

      ELIGIBILITY: Open to all poets, with or without previous book publication.
      New and emerging writers are especially invited to submit.  No restrictions on content, style or subject matter. We are simply looking for the best poetry we can find.

      PRIZE: Winner receives $1000 and 50 books.

      $20 READING FEE / $25 TO RECEIVE WINNING BOOK: Make checks payable to "MJC (QR)."

      SUBMISSION DEADLINE: All entries must be postmarked between June and October 17, 2008.

      SEND SUBMISSIONS TO Quercus Review Press, MJC English Dept.,
      435 College Ave. Modesto, CA 95350

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2016
        FALL POETRY BOOK AWARD, 2016
        QUERCUS REVIEW PRESS
        MODESTO JUNIOR COLLEGE
        DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH

        When
        Poets & Writers asked us what we were looking for, here was our published response (maybe it will help you consider submitting):  “We like honest voices, stunning imagery, and language so good we get chills reading it.  We like books that open themselves, invite us to sit in comfortable chairs, and speak to us like we’re equals in an imbalanced world.  Mainly, we want to publish poetry with a pulse [ . . .].”  --Sam Pierstorff, Editor, QRP
        MANUSCRIPTS should include a brief cover letter that includes author’s name, address, phone number, e-mail address, book title, and brief biography; an acknowledgment’s page listing previously published poems; table of contents; up to 120 pages of original poetry; and an SASE for reply or return of manuscript (as requested) if submitted through mail. *Manuscripts should be unbound, typed, & page numbered, and may contain author’s name and information.  Online submissions preferred. (https://quercusreviewpress.submittable.com/submit)
        • Note to Poets: In an effort to make life easier on you (so you don’t have to reformat your entire manuscript) and easier on us (so we don’t have a clerical nightmare), book-contest submissions are not “blind.”  (Frankly, we don’t really believe that even “blind” submissions are truly blind, but that’s another story).  Our editors read poems, not bios.  So it really doesn’t matter who you are.  What is your writing like?  We have published debuts from authors with very few publications and we have published seasoned authors with previous books.  We can totally, honestly, and ethically say that we have never/will never publish a collection based on who the poet is or where the poet is from. The poems matter. That is all.
        ELIGIBILITY: Open to all poets across the country, with or without previous book publication. New and emerging writers are especially invited to submit. No restrictions on content, style or subject matter. We are simply looking for the best poetry we can find.

        PRIZE: *Winner receives $1000, a publishing contract with generous royalties paid to the author for every book sold, and 15 free copies of published book. (*We reserve the right to select 2nd and 3rd place winning manuscripts if the quality, time, and finances are available.  Pending author approval, 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive a book contract with no advance paid. Poets whose manuscripts are selected as 2nd or 3rd place finishers will be able to make the final decision to accept or deny this publication prize.  Besides the advance, book contracts for 2nd and 3rd place winners will remain the same as grand prize recipient.  )
        SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Postmarked by Friday, December 16th, 2016
        SEND SUBMISSIONS TO Quercus Review Press, MJC English Dept., 435 College Ave. Modesto, CA 95350
        OR (preferably) UPLOAD SUBMISSIONS TO https://quercusreviewpress.submittable.com/submit
        CONTACT: pierstorffsATmjcDOTedu / 209-575-6183