call for submissions: Poemeleon

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2007
      Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry is now accepting prose poetry submissions for
      its fourth issue, due out in December 2007.

      In addition to prose poems we are looking for relevant reviews,
      interviews, and essays. Previously published is fine, as long as it was in print and not
      online. Simultaneous submissions are also fine, but please notify us promptly
      when work is accepted elsewhere.

      *Please read all guidelines before submitting. New submissions procedure.*

      Visit the website at www.poemeleon.org
      for full guidelines, and to read the current issue, Volume II issue 1,
      dedicated to poems in form. Featuring an interview with Annie Finch and a book
      review by Tom Hunley, it includes poems by:

      Diana Adams ~ Mary Alexandra Agner ~ Marcus Bales ~ Tony Barnstone ~ Judith
      Barrington ~ Kimberly L. Becker ~ Kate Bernadette Benedict ~ Lavina Blossom ~
      Angie Chuang ~ Maryann Corbett ~ Lucille Lang Day ~ Frankie Drayus ~ Lucia
      Galloway ~ Richard Garcia ~ Alex Grant ~ Roy Jacobstein ~ Gene Justice ~ Diane
      Kendig ~ Judy Kronenfeld ~ Robert Krut ~ Lance Levens ~ Charlotte Mandel ~
      Frances Ruhlen McConnell ~ Judith Montgomery ~ Ruth Nolan ~ Joyce Nower ~ Anna Lena
      Phillips ~ Moira Richards & Sanford Goldstein ~ Helen Ruggieri ~ J.D. Smith ~
      Dana Sonnenschein ~ Paul Stevens ~ Carole Stone ~ Eileen Tabios (with Rebeka
      Lembo) ~ Barbara Taylor & Moira Richards ~ Marilyn Taylor ~ Meredith Trede ~
      Kathrine Varnes ~ Benjamin Vogt ~ Lynn Wagner ~ Lesley Wheeler ~ Andrena
      Zawinski

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2007
        The editors of Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry are now reading persona poems
        for Volume III Issue 1, slated for release in early June. We are also
        interested in relevant essays, book reviews and interviews.

        Also, the first Mystery Box Contest winner has been announced, and a new box
        is up for viewing. There is no deadline. There is no entry fee. There are no
        rules. The only requirement is that the poem must somehow respond to the box.
        The most stunning poem will be featured in an upcoming issue.

        Past contributors include Jimmy Santiago Baca, Tony Barnstone,
        Catherine Daly, Ann Fisher-Wirth, Richard Garcia, Eloise Klein Healy, Bob Hicok, Roy
        Jacobstein, Christina Lovin, Shin Yu Pai, William Reichard, Dana Sonnenschein,
        Kathrine Varnes, Cecilia Woloch, and lots more.

        Poems from past issues have been nominated and selected for the University of
        Virginia's Best New Poets anthology, featured as a Verse Daily Web Monthly
        Feature, and in NewPages' WordsMatter: A Selection of Poetry and Prose from the
        Web.

        All submissions must come through our new online submissions process.
        Please visit the website for full guidelines.

        Deadline for this issue: February 28, 2008.
        Website:
        http://www.poemeleon.org/submission-guidelines2/

        Message 3 of 5 , May 19 11:15 AM
          Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry

          Call for Submissions: Prime Time Poetry
          http://www.poemeleon.org/submission-guidelines2/

          Prime Time Poetry, like that sweet spot of the television lineup, seeks to connect with its audience, addressing the concerns of ordinary people in the clearest language possible. In some circles this might be called “accessible” poetry, but, to quote Claudia Emerson: “If we care about readers and all (and not just those in the academy), we have to give them a way into the poem.” This is not to say that we are looking for simple poems; in fact, Emerson goes on to say, “[W]e need to remember that clarity does not preclude depth. If our language is precise, our imagery clear, our metaphors original and well crafted, then we can indeed create poems that will reward a listener on being heard for the first time and also replay the astute close reader.”

          We want work that is clear but not simple-minded, that is complex but not indecipherable, that sings, that stands up, that rings true. But, it must work equally as well on the page as on the stage; that is to say, we want the best work out there that represents the various poetries that make up what we are referring to as Prime Time Poetry. Like the proposed anthology by the same name (to see The Plumbline School blogpost about Prime Time Poetry google "modest book proposal norton anthology") we are not looking for one type of poetry, but rather poetry drawn from any number of different poetry communities that have in common a desire to connect with, rather than shut out, potential audiences. Some examples: Charles Harper Webb’s Stand Up Poetry; David Kirby & Barbara Hamby’s Ultra-Talk; R.S. Gwynn’s & Kevin Walzer's Expansive Poetry; The Poets Laureate, who “serve as the nation's official lightning rod for the poetic impulse of Americans”; Performance & Slam Poetry; and Cowboy Poetry.

          If the kind of work that you are doing might fit roughly into one of the above categories, send it on.

          And if you have mp3s and/or videos of you performing your work, include those, too, please.

          All submissions must come through our online submissions system. Please visit the website for complete details & instructions.

          For general questions send a note to editor(at)poemeleon(dot)org.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
            Call for Submissions, Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry
            http://www.poemeleon.org/guidelines/

            Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry is now accepting submissions for our
            next issue, Volume V Issue 2, The Open Issue, to be launched June 2011.
            Unlike past issues, The Open Issue is not focused on any one particular
            kind of poetry but instead will strive to include as wide a variety as
            possible. Please send only your best work, any length, any style.

            Deadline for this issue: March 31, 2011
            Expect a response within 1 - 3 months after close of submissions. If
            you have not heard from us after 3 months please inquire.

            The details:
            - Please submit 1 to 5 poems, 1 craft essay, or 1 book review.
            - Please include a brief third-person bio in your cover letter.
            - Simultaneous submissions are fine as long as we are notified promptly
            when work is accepted elsewhere, but please no multiple submissions.
            The only exceptions to this rule is if you are submitting both poems
            and an essay, or both an essay and a book review, or both poems and a
            book review.
            - Previously published is also fine, as long as it was in print, not
            online, and as long as you as the author retain all copyright. Because
            we strive to be the first online publisher of your poem, if it has
            appeared anywhere that is publicly accessible on the web (including on
            your blog) then it is considered previously published. Please feel free
            to contact us and we will provide clarification on a case by case basis.
            - We acquire one-time, non-exclusive rights to publish your work, at
            which time all rights revert back to you as the author. If we should
            ever decide to create a print anthology and would like to include your
            work, we will contact you.
            - Please note that we are a non-paying market.
            - No snail mail submissions. All submissions must come through our
            online submissions manager.

            Please visit the website to read our latest issue, Prime Time Poetry,
            and to upload your submission via our online submission manager:
            http://www.poemeleon.org/guidelines/
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
              Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry is celebrating its 5th year in
              operation!

              We have dubbed our next issue, Volume V Issue 2, The Open Issue,
              scheduled for launch June 2011. Unlike past issues, The Open Issue is
              not focused on any one particular kind of poetry but instead will
              strive to include as wide a variety as possible. Please send only your
              best work, any length, any style.

              Deadline for this issue: March 31, 2011
              Expect a response within 1 - 3 months after close of submissions. If
              you have not heard from us after 3 months please inquire.

              Please visit the website for complete guidelines and a link to our
              submission manager, and while you're there check out our latest issue,
              Prime Time Poetry, featuring the work of Prime Time Poets Tony
              Barnstone, Robert Pinsky, Molly Peacock, Red Shuttleworth, Mark
              Halliday, David Kirby, David Graham, Martha Silano, and many others!

              The Editors
              Cati Porter, Maureen Alsop, Ren Powell, Judy Kronenfeld, and Tom C.
              Hunley