call for submissions: Conclave

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2008
      Seeking Submissions:
      Conclave: A Journal of Character
      www.conclavejournal.com
      is accepting poetry submissions for
      Fall 2008. We will accept submissions
      from April 1-July 1, 2008. We welcome
      writers from around the world. Conclave is
      an annual print journal that focuses on
      character-driven writing in poems, prose
      poems, short stories, flash fiction, creative
      nonfiction; we also print black and white
      photographs, and excerpts from plays:
      monologues, scenes, single acts, or
      one-act plays.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
        Conclave: A Journal of Character is a literary and arts journal that focuses on great characters. We strive to print the best poetry and fiction submitted by emerging and established writers.

        All of our submissions go through a rigorous editorial board process. Each year, six entries will be recommended for the Pushcart Prize.

        Visual art is only considered in black and white.

        Our journal was founded in 2009 and is on its third issue. The 2011 issue, due out by year's end, includes Jane Yolen, Jessica Amanda Salmonson and Sara Backer, and interviews with Peter S. Beagle and Karen Essex. But there is still room for submissions!

        Please read our submission guidelines which are posted on our submission manager.
        Please see
        http://www.conclavejournal.com

        for details.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2012
          Conclave: A Journal of Character--Call for Submissions

          Conclave invites writers of every experience level. to submit poetry, short stories, flash fiction, creative nonfiction, and art/photography. Issue 4 is due out in autumn of this year and we are accepting submissions. We want to be rocked by your idea of what humanity is made of.

          We read submissions year-round. Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please notify us if your work is accepted by another journal. Please check our webiste,http://www.conclavejournal.com
          thoroughly before submitting, and follow guidelines. If you'd like to see examples of writing we prefer, we strongly recommend you purchase Issue 3 which is available cheaply through Kindle and Nook.

          Founding editor Valya Lupescu on the subject of character:
          When we decided to create Conclave: A Journal of Character, we knew that our focus would be on character-driven writing and photography, so we sought out a name for our literary magazine that would reflect the assembly of all those characters, as well as the artists and writers who dream them up. We chose conclave because it means a gathering, a private chamber, a room that may be locked. It has the Latin roots of com (meaning “with” or “together”) and clavis(meaning “key”).

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2012
            Conclave: A Journal of Character is open for submissions for Spring, 2013.

            Conclave is a bi-annual print journal that focuses on character-driven writing in short stories, flash fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, prose poems and photographs. Issues appear every spring and autumn. We select six of our best works each year to be nominated for the Pushcart Prize.

            While we have no specific theme, pieces should focus strongly on character. It is helpful if Springtime submissions have a springtime feel and autumn submissions have an autumnal or holiday focus, but artists should feel unlimited in their scope. For further in-depth information about what character means to us, please visit www.conclavejournal.com

            We are looking for poems, stories, and photographs.

            Please do study the guidelines at:
            http://www.conclavejournal.com/submissions/submissions.html
            and you may submit through our online manager at:
            http://conclavejournal.com/submissions/submgr/
            We never charge a fee.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
              Conclave: A Journal of Character is open for submissions for Autumn, 2013. We are particularly seeking photography submissions, but also consider short stories, poetry, and short works of all creative forms.

              Conclave is a bi-annual print journal that focuses on character-driven writing. See our website to see what we believe comprises great character: http://www.conclavejournal.com/

              We select six of our best works each year to be nominated for the Pushcart Prize.

              You may read all submissions guidelines at:
              http://www.conclavejournal.com/submissions/submissions.html
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2015

                Conclave

                Submissions Call
                Vol. 9 February 2016
                Writing for Change

                The theme for the next issue focuses on change as an powerful force, ideally though not certainly a force for progress and growth. We’re looking for contributions relating to political and social change and well as changes in the human character. We’re looking for work that envisions the future, better tomorrows and bitter tomorrows, changes in love and life and the heart of humankind.

                Conclave: A Journal of Character seeks poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and photography of exceptional literary merit. The work we seek has a meaningful impact on the reader. We want to be broad, inclusive, and open to perspectives spanning all spectrums of thought, ethnicity, gender identity, and sexual orientation.

                We are interested in work originally written in English and work in English translation from any language. We are interested in all genres, including mixed or multiple genre works, or work that simply defies classification.

                Send your submissions through: https://balkanpress.submittable.com/submit

                Submissions Call for Vol. 9: Writing for Change
                Guidelines:
                1   We are an environmentally conscious journal and only accept submissions through Submittable.
                2   Format and Length. Poetry: Submit 1-3 original, unpublished poems, in a single document, each poem on a separate page, no longer than 10 pages total. Short Fiction: Submit 1 story, no longer than 5000 words. Creative Nonfiction: Submit one essay, no longer than 5000 words. Photography: Submit 1-3 photographs, black and white only. Unclassifiable: No longer than 2000 words.
                3   You are welcome to submit more than once, but each submission must be a separate file uploaded to Submittable.
                4   Do not put your name or any other identifying information on the document that holds your submission. Do not include your name in the file name for your submission. We follow a “blind” reading system: our editors read all submissions without knowing who wrote them.
                5   Use Times New Roman 12 pt. for the text of your submission. Single-space your poems; double space between stanzas. Double-space prose manuscripts.
                6   Include a 60-word bio written in third person, providing specific information about your writing life and your previous publishing credits.
                7   No previously published work — print or online — including work posted on personal websites or social network websites. If your work can be found searching Google, we consider it published.
                8   If you have questions, please visit our website, conclavejournal.com, or email kbernhardt@....

                Acceptance for publication conveys First North American Serial Rights, first-print publication rights, and the right to post work accepted for publication on the Conclave website. Rights revert to the author upon publication. Payment is one contributor's copy of the anthology plus a small fee ($5 for poems and photography, $20 for fiction and non-fiction).