literary contest: New Southerner

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
      New Southerner Literary Contest

      $200 prizes for poetry, fiction and nonfiction

      Three prizes of $200 each and publication in New Southerner will be awarded for
      works of poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction.

      * 5,000 word limit for prose
      * 50 line limit for poetry
      * Entry Fee: $10 per entry
      * Multiple entries accepted
      * Postmark deadline: October 1, 2008

      Final judges will include:
      Nonfiction — Kathryn Eastburn (author of A Sacred Feast and Simon Says)
      Poetry — Erin Keane (author of The Gravity Soundtrack and The One-Hit Wonders)
      and Cecilia Woloch (author of Tsigan and Late)
      Fiction — TBA

      All work must be typed on standard-sized paper. No manuscript will be returned;
      for acknowledgement of receipt, include self-addressed, stamped postcard with
      submission.

      Send two copies—one with the author’s name, address, phone number and optional
      e-mail address in the upper right-hand corrner, the other with no author
      information. Include separate title page for each entry indicating title of
      work, category, author’s name, address and phone number.

      Entries must be the author’s original, unpublished work and should be
      appropriate for publication in New Southerner. The magazine’s mission is to
      promote self-sufficient living, environmental stewardship and support for local
      economies. For more information, see our submission guidelines online at
      newsoutherner.com/aboutus.htm.

      Entries should be mailed to:

      New Southerner Literary Contest
      375 Wood Valley Lane
      Louisville, KY 40299

      Questions regarding entries should be directed to bobbibuchanan(at)newsoutherner.com (replace (at) with @)

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
        The 2010 New Southerner Literary Contest is open to previously unpublished poetry, fiction and nonfiction from April 1 through October 1. Although the contest theme is open, we are especially interested in work that relates to our mission, which is promoting self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship and local economies. We are also interested in works by writers with a Southern connection, and works written with a Southern slant or that focus on Southern issues, people and places.
        Contest guidelines at:
        http://www.newsoutherner.com/?page_id=263

        Prizes: $200 for winners of Fiction, Nonfiction and the James Baker Memorial Prize in Poetry; publication in the literary edition; invitation to read at a special event;

        Finalists in all categories receive $15 and publication in the New Southerner Literary Edition;

        Submit fiction and nonfiction up to 5,000 words;
        Submit poems up to 100 lines;
        Contest fee: $10 per entry;

        Multiple entries are accepted;

        Simultaneously submitted entries are accepted as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere; entry fee is not refundable;

        Postmark deadline: October 1;
        Winners will be notified by November 20;
        Finalists and winning entries will be announced in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print at www.newsoutherner.com in December.
        Final judges are Sena Jeter Naslund (fiction), Jason Howard (nonfiction) and Jeff Worley (James Baker Hall Memorial Prize in Poetry);
        Easy online submission process.
        To enter, or for more information, go to http://www.newsoutherner.com/?page_id=263.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2016
          http://www.newsoutherner.com/contest/

          Entry form:
          http://www.newsoutherner.com/contest/contest-entry-form/

          We're in the final days of our annual literary contest, which awards $200 to top entries in poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Submit your entry electronically today, or send by mail. (See guidelines here: New Southerner Literary Contest) Deadline is September 30.
          Although the contest theme is open, we are especially interested in work that relates to our mission, which is promoting self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship, and local economies. We are also interested in works by writers with a Southern connection, and works written with a Southern slant or that focus on Southern issues, people and places. Winning entries, as well as finalists and semifinalists, are published in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print.
          • Prizes: $200 for winners of Fiction, Nonfiction, and the James Baker Hall Memorial Prize in Poetry and publication in the literary edition;
          • Contest fee: $10 per entry. One entry is one piece of prose up to 5,000 words or one poem up to 100 lines;
          • Multiple entries are accepted;
          • Simultaneously submitted entries are accepted as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere; entry fee is not refundable;
          • Winners of first place prizes are not eligible to participate in the same genre in successive years; for example, the 2015 James Baker Hall Memorial Prize recipient is ineligible to participate in the 2016 poetry contest, but is permitted to enter in fiction or nonfiction in 2016. In addition, the 2015 JBH prize winner may participate in the poetry category, or any other category, in 2017.
          • Postmark deadline: September 30;
          • Winners will be notified by October 31;
          • Finalists and winning entries will be announced in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print in December.
          • New Southerner reserves the right not to select a winner in any category if a suitable entry cannot be found.
          JUDGING
          New Southerner editors and advisory board members select the top five entries in each category. Final judges select winning entries. This year's final judges are Mary Ann Taylor-Hall, Mary Popham, and Bobbi Buchanan.