book contest: Juniper Prize for Poetry
- Juniper Prize for Poetry
The Juniper Prize for Poetry is awarded annually for an original manuscript of poems. In alternating years, the program is open to poets either with or without previously published books. The University of Massachusetts Press publishes the winning manuscript, and the author receives a $1,500 award upon publication.
2008-2009 Submissions: In 2008, we will consider only manuscripts by writers who have had at least one full-length book or chapbook of poetry published. Submissions will be accepted between August 1 and September 30, 2008. All manuscripts will be judged anonymously. The award winner will be announced at our website in April 2009, and publication scheduled for Spring 2010.
1. Manuscripts must be paginated and be between 50 and 70 pages in typescript.
2. Each submission should have two cover pages—one listing the title of the manuscript and the author's name, address, phone number, and email address; and a second page listing only the title. The author's name should not appear after the first cover page.
3. Include the following along with your manuscript:
a. Paginated contents page.
b. List of acknowledgments for poems in the manuscript that have been published or are slated for publication in literary journals and/or anthologies.
c. The following information about any previously published books: title, page count, publisher, and year of publication.
d. Payment of a $20.00 non-refundable entry fee (check or money order payable in U.S. dollars to Juniper Prize, University of Massachusetts Press).
e. Manuscripts will not be returned. If you wish, you may also include a self-addressed, stamped post card for confirmation of receipt.
Dates for submission
1. All manuscripts must be submitted between August 1 and September 30 with a postmark no later than September 30.
2. Send submissions to:
Juniper Prize for Poetry
University of Massachusetts Press
East Experiment Station, 671 N. Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003
3. The Press assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts, and we suggest that you retain a copy for your protection.
4. The winner will be notified in April 2009. No information about the winner will be released before the April announcement, and the Press will not be able to provide feedback on manuscripts submitted for competition.
1. Manuscripts by more than one author.
2. Entries of more than one manuscript within the same year.
4. Manuscripts from employees and students of the University of Massachusetts, and former Juniper Prize winners.
You may submit your manuscript to other publishers while it is being considered for this competition, but if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]