assist prof poetry: UW-Stevens Point

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 6:49 AM
      UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-STEVENS POINT
      COLLEGE OF LETTERS AND SCIENCE
      Department of English

      Position #08-54F53

      Position:
      Assistant Professor of English (Creative Writing--Poetry)

      Position Description:
      Teaching load 12 credits per semester
      Courses to be assigned from Beginning / Advanced Creative Writing, Freshman Composition, and other writing courses developed to suit candidate's interest, depending on need

      Department/University Description:
      The English Department is one of the largest academic units at UW-SP. Some 30 faculty offer a full range of classes from freshman composition and humanities GDRs to upper-division literature, writing, and teacher education classes fulfilling the requirements of our Major/Minors. Our commitment to teaching is of primary importance, but department members also manage to engage productively in a variety of scholarly and creative projects. We have almost an even mix of experienced and relatively recent faculty members and, as we continue to grow, we are dedicated to increasing the diversity of our department and of the institution as a whole.

      UW-SP is located in Stevens Point on the Wisconsin River, almost precisely in the center of the state. It is the only degree-granting institution in north-central Wisconsin, offering 54 undergraduate majors and master's degrees in 12 disciplines, including the M.S.T. (English). Enrollment is 8000-8500 students, served by over 400 faculty, over 200 academic staff, and about 350 support staff members. The campus contains both historic and contemporary buildings in an attractively landscaped setting, bounded on one side by a 200-acre nature preserve with its man-made lake.

      Qualifications:
      1) Completed Ph.D. in English with appropriate area of specialization preferred, but M.F.A. considered
      2) Graduate training and/or experience in teaching a variety of writing courses preferred
      3) We are looking for outstanding teaching, a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching, and awareness of the importance of diversity in education.

      Appointment Date:
      August, 2008

      Terms of Employment:
      Assistant Professor (Instructor if without M.F.A. and Ph.D. not completed)
      Salary dependent upon qualifications and experience
      Evidence of continued scholarly achievement and university service is necessary for retention, tenure, and promotion.

      Application Procedure:
      Send letter of application and Curriculum Vita to:

      Dr. Michael Williams, Chair
      Department of English
      University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
      Stevens Point, WI  54481

      Deadline:
      The committee will begin scrutiny of applications on April 18
      and will remain open until filled.

      The University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, Vietnam era veterans, disabled veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
      Employment will required a criminal background check.