poetry book contest: Slope Editions

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      SLOPE EDITIONS BOOK PRIZE
      JUDGE: MAXINE CHERNOFF
      http://www.slopeeditions.org/prize.html

      $1,000 plus book publication
      Deadline: March 15, 2008
      Winner to be announced late spring/early summer 2008

      Maxine Chernoff's books of poetry include The Turning (Apogee Press, 2008); Among the Names (Apogee Press, 2005); Evolution of the Bridge: Selected Prose Poems (Salt Publications, 2005); World: Poems 1991-2001 (Salt Publications, 2001); Leap Year Day: New & Selected Poems(Another Chicago Press, 1990 and Jensen Daniels, 1999); Japan (Avenue B Press, 1988); New Faces of 1952 (Ithaca House, 1985); Utopia TV Store (The Yellow Press, 1979); and A Vegetable Emergency (Beyond Baroque Foundation, 1976). Chernoff co-edits New American Writing and is Chair of the Creative Writing Department at San Francisco State University.

      The winning poet will have his/her book of poems published in 2008 or 2009 by Slope Editions. He or she will receive free copies of the book in lieu of royalties, which are no longer offered, and $1,000. Last year's judge was Timothy Liu, who selected Christopher Schmidt's The Next In Line as winner. All entrants receive, with SASE, a Slope Editions title of their choice with their entry fee. We offer sincere thanks to all entrants and readers for supporting Slope Editions and small press poetry.

      Eligibility: Any American poet writing in English is eligible, unless that person has a close personal or professional relationship with the judge and/or Slope Editions staff. Manuscripts and entry fees will be returned in these cases. Any manuscript that a) has appeared or is forthcoming as a printed book or e-book, or b) comprises the majority of an existing or forthcoming chapbook, will NOT be considered.

      Manuscript Format: 40 to 90 pages, typed, and bound only by a clip. Include two title pages (one with book title, name, address, telephone and e-mail; one with book title only), table of contents, and acknowledgments page with manuscript.

      Entry fee: A $20 entry fee, payable to "Slope Publishing Inc.," in the form of a check or money order, must accompany all submissions. Your fee entitles you to one copy of any in-print SE book except The Other Side of Landscape; on the subject line of the check, write in the names of the 2 books you'd like and we'll mail your first choice (while supplies last). Please provide a book-sized SASE with appropriate postage so we may mail you your book. If you don't provide this, we can't mail the book

      Notification: Save trees! We do NOT accept notification SASEs or postcards. Please check the Slope Editions website for announcement of contest winner. Notification SASEs or postcards will NOT be returned. The winning manuscript will be announced in late spring/early summer 2008.

      Revisions: The winner will be able to revise his/her manuscript before publication. No revisions will be considered during the reading period.

      Deadline: Submissions must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2008. No Federal Express, UPS, or other overnight mail services, please. No fax or electronic submissions. Submissions should be sent by first-class mail to our editorial address:

      Slope Editions Book Prize
      Ethan Paquin, Editor-in-Chief
      c/o Medaille College
      18 Agassiz Circle