poetry/fiction/nonfiction contest: Crab Orchard Review

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
      CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW's Annual Literary Contests
      The Richard Peterson Poetry Prize,
      Jack Dyer Fiction Prize,
      &
      John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize
      http://www.siuc.edu/%7ecrborchd/dyer.html

      $ 1500 prize for Poetry
      $ 1500 prize for Fiction
      $ 1500 prize for Literary Nonfiction

      One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three category winners
      will be published and the finalists offered publication (with a minimum payment of $150)
      in the Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. The winners and finalists will also
      be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW
      Website.

      Contest Guidelines — The postmark deadlines for this year's prize competitions are
      February 1, 2008 through April 30, 2008.

      Entries must be previously unpublished, original work written in English by a United States
      citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois
      University Carbondale are not eligible). Name, address, telephone number, email address,
      and work title (or titles for poetry entries) should appear only on a cover sheet for the
      entry. The author's name should not appear on any subsequent page. All entries must be
      postmarked between February 1, 2008 and April 30, 2008. Late entries will be returned
      unread. Enclose a #10, self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification of winners. Do
      not include an envelope or postage for return of manuscript since entries will be recycled
      upon the decision of the final judges and notification of the winners.

      Page Restrictions:

      Poetry entries should consist of 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem. Prose entry length: up
      to 6000 words for fiction and up to 6500 words for literary nonfiction. One poetry entry,
      story, or essay per $10 entry; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total
      of three entries if entering all competitions.

      Entry fee:

      PLEASE NOTE, WE ARE LOWERING OUR ENTRY FEE FOR THE 2008 LITERARY PRIZE
      COMPETITIONS.

      $10 for each entry. Please make checks payable to CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. Each fee
      entitles entrant to one copy of the 2009 Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW,
      which will include the winners of these competitions. If you send two entries with $20, we
      will send you the 2009 Summer/Fall issue as well; if you send three entries with $30, we
      will send you the 2009 Summer/Fall issue and the 2010 Winter/Spring issue as well.

      Address:

      Mail entries to: CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Literary Contests, Dept. of English, Mail Code
      4503, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 1000 Faner Drive, Carbondale, IL 62901.
      Please indicate on the outside of the envelope if an entry is "POETRY," "FICTION," or
      "LITERARY NONFICTION."

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2010
          CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW's Annual Literary Contests:
          The 2011 Richard Peterson Poetry Prize,
          Jack Dyer Fiction Prize,
          &
          John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize
          http://craborchardreview.siuc.edu/dyer.html

          $ 1500 prize for Poetry $ 1500 prize for Fiction $ 1500 prize for Literary Nonfiction

          One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three category winners will be published and the finalists offered publication (with a minimum payment of $150) in the Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. The winners and finalists will also be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Website.

          Contest Guidelines — The postmark deadlines for this year's prize competitions are March 1, 2010 through April 30, 2010. Please do not send entries via FedEx, UPS, DHL, Express Mail--we don't want you to spend the extra amount when this is a POSTMARK deadline.

          Entries must be previously unpublished, original work written in English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are not eligible). Name, address, telephone number, email address, and work title (or titles for poetry entries) should appear only on a cover sheet for the entry. The author's name should not appear on any subsequent page. All entries must be postmarked between March 1, 2010 and April 30, 2010. Late entries will be returned unread. Enclose a #10, self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification of winners. Do not include an envelope or postage for return of manuscript since entries will be recycled upon the decision of the final judges and notification of the winners.
          Page Restrictions:

          Poetry entries should consist of 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem. Prose entry length: up to 6000 words for fiction and up to 6500 words for literary nonfiction. One poetry entry, story, or essay per $10 entry; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total of three entries if entering all competitions.

          Entry fee: $10 for each entry. Please make checks payable to CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. Each fee entitles entrant to one copy of the 2011 Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, which will include the winners of these competitions. If you send two entries with $20, we will send you the 2011 Summer/Fall issue as well; if you send three entries with $30, we will send you the 2011 Summer/Fall issue and the 2012 Winter/Spring issue as well.

          Address:

          Mail entries to: CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Literary Contests, Dept. of English, Mail Code 4503, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 1000 Faner Drive, Carbondale, IL 62901. Please indicate on the outside of the envelope if an entry is "POETRY," "FICTION," or "LITERARY NONFICTION."

          We do not at this time accept electronic submissions, but we hope in the future when we have our own server dedicated to submissions to offer this option. We will let you know when this becomes possible, but it is at least a year or more away given funding issues.

          If you don't find the information you're looking for on our website, we can always be reached for information about subscriptions, current guidelines, upcoming themes, or contests by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

          CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW
          Department of English
          Faner Hall 2380 - Mail Code 4503
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2011
            CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW's Annual Literary Contests:
            The 2012 Richard Peterson Poetry Prize,
            Jack Dyer Fiction Prize,
            &
            John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize
            http://craborchardreview.siuc.edu/dyer.html

            $ 2000 prize for Poetry $ 2000 prize for Fiction $ 2000 prize for Literary Nonfiction

            BELOW ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR THIS YEAR'S LITERARY CONTESTS:

            One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three category winners will be published and the finalists offered publication (with a minimum payment of $200) in the Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. The winners and finalists will also be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Website.

            Contest Guidelines

            The postmark deadlines for this year's prize competitions are March 1, 2011 through May 2, 2011. Please do not send entries via FedEx, UPS, DHL, Express Mail--we don't want you to spend the extra amount when this is a POSTMARK deadline.

            Entries must be previously unpublished, original work written in English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are not eligible). Name, address, telephone number, email address, and work title (or titles for poetry entries) should appear only on a cover sheet for the entry. The author's name should not appear on any subsequent page. All entries must be postmarked between March 1, 2011 and May 2, 2011. Late entries will be returned unread. Enclose a #10, self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification of winners. Do not include an envelope or postage for return of manuscript since entries will be recycled upon the decision of the final judges and notification of the winners.
            Entry Guidelines (there is no theme for the Literary Prize entries; just send your best work): Poetry entries should consist of 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem. Prose entry length: up to 6000 words for fiction and up to 6500 words for literary nonfiction. One poetry entry, story, or essay per $20 entry; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total of three entries if entering all competitions.

            Entry fee: $20 for each entry (remember that a Poetry entry is three poems). Please make checks payable to CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. Each fee entitles entrant to one copy of the 2011 Summer/Fall issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, our special issue "New & Old ~ Re-Visions of The American South," and one copy of the 2012 Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, which will include the winners of these competitions. If you send two entries with $40, we will send you two copies of each issue; if you send three entries with $60, we will send you three copies of each issue. We will be happy to send these additional copies as gift subscriptions or to provide back issues if requested and available. Please let us know what you prefer and provide us with the necessary information.

            Address:

            Mail entries to: CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Literary Contests, Dept. of English, Mail Code 4503, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 1000 Faner Drive, Carbondale, IL 62901. Please indicate on the outside of the envelope if an entry is "POETRY," "FICTION," or "LITERARY NONFICTION."

            We do not at this time accept electronic submissions, but we hope in the future when we have our own server dedicated to submissions to offer this option. We will let you know when this becomes possible, but it is at least a year away given funding issues.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW's Annual Literary Contests:
                The 2013 Richard Peterson Poetry Prize,
                Jack Dyer Fiction Prize,
                &
                John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize
                http://craborchardreview.submishmash.com/submit (online entry link)
                http://craborchardreview.siuc.edu/dyer.html

                $ 2000 prize for Poetry $ 2000 prize for Fiction $ 2000 prize for Literary Nonfiction

                One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three category winners will be published and the finalists offered publication (with a minimum payment of $200) in the Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW. The winners and finalists will also be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Website, http://craborchardreview.siuc.edu/dyer.html

                Contest Guidelines

                The postmark deadlines for this year's prize competitions are March 1, 2012 through May 2, 2012. Please do not send entries via FedEx, UPS, DHL, Express Mail--we don't want you to spend the extra amount when this is a POSTMARK deadline.

                Online entries should be sent through Submittable (there is an additional $2.50 processing fee for online entries, making the entry fee for each online entry $22.50).

                Entries must be previously unpublished, original work written in English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are not eligible). Name, address, telephone number, email address, and work title (or titles for poetry entries) should appear only on a cover sheet for the entry. The author's name should not appear on any subsequent page. All entries must be postmarked or submitted online between March 1, 2012 and May 2, 2012 (online entries will be accepted until 12:00 AM (CDT) on May 2, 2012). Late entries will be returned unread. Enclose a #10, self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification of winners. Do not include an envelope or postage for return of manuscript since entries will be recycled upon the decision of the final judges and notification of the winners.

                Entry Guidelines (there is no theme for the Literary Prize entries; just send your best work):

                Poetry entries should consist of 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem.

                Prose entry length: up to 6000 words for fiction and up to 6500 words for literary nonfiction.

                One poetry entry (3 poems; 100 line limit per poem), one story entry in fiction, or one essay entry in literary nonfiction per $20 postal entry fee/$22.50 online entry fee; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total of three entries if entering all competitions.

                Entry fee: $20 for each postal entry/$22.50 for each online entry (remember that a Poetry entry is 3 poems; 100 line limit per poem).

                Please make checks for postal entries payable to CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW.

                Each fee entitles entrant to one copy of the 2013 Winter/Spring issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, which will include the winners of these competitions, and one copy of the 2013 Summer/Fall issue of CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, our special issue "Prairies, Plains, Mountains, & Deserts." If you send two entries with $40, we will extend your subscription an additional year; if you send three entries with $60, we will extend your subscription two additional years (online entries $22.50 each).

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
[...]

                  Entries must be previously unpublished*, original work written in English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are not eligible). Name, address, telephone number, email address, and work title (or titles for poetry entries) should appear only on a cover sheet for the entry. The author's name should not appear on any subsequent page. All entries must be postmarked or submitted online between March 1, 2012 and May 2, 2012 (online entries will be accepted until 12:00 AM (CDT) on May 2, 2012). Late entries will be returned unread. Postal submissions should enclose a #10, self-addressed, stamped envelope for notification of winners; online submissions will receive notification of the results by email. Do not include an envelope or postage for return of manuscript for postal submissions since entries will be recycled upon the decision of the final judges and notification of the winners.

                  *We have had people ask about what is eligible as unpublished work and at CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW we define "unpublished" as work that has not been published by an online or print publication and is not currently accepted for such publication; we do allow work that has been posted online by the writer (though we will ask that the work be taken down until after the time it is published in CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW) or is available online as part of a thesis or dissertation required for the completion of a degree. Simultaneous submissions are considered for the Annual Literary Contests, but the winning entries must meet the criteria as unpublished work described here.

[...]
                  Please submit your file in .doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt, .pdf, .odt, or .wpf. Single space for poetry and double space for prose. 12-point font, Times New Roman or Times preferred.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                    COR's Annual Literary Contests
                    $2,000 prize in each category

                    https://craborchardreview.submittable.com/submit

                    The Richard Peterson Poetry Prize

                    The Jack Dyer Fiction Prize

                    The John Guyon Literary Nonfiction Prize

                    One winner and two finalists will be chosen in each category. The three
                    category winners will be published and receive a $2,000 prize, and the fi
                    nalists offered publication (with a payment of $500) in the
                    Winter/Spring issue of Crab Orchard Review. The winners and finalists
                    will also be announced in the March/April POETS & WRITERS and on the
                    CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW Website.

                    Contest Guidelines for online entries (visit the Crab Orchard Review
                    website for instructions for postal entries):

                    Online entries should be sent through Submittable (there is an
                    additional $2.50 processing fee for online entries, making the entry fee
                    for each online entry $22.50).

                    Entries must be previously unpublished*, original work written in
                    English by a United States citizen or permanent resident (current
                    students and employees at Southern Illinois University Carbondale are
                    not eligible). The author's name should not appear on any page for
                    online entries.

                    All online entries must be submitted between March 1, 2013 and the end
                    of May 4, 2013 (online entries will be accepted until 11:59:59 PM (CDT)
                    on May 4, 2013). Online submissions will receive notification of the
                    results by email.

[...]

                    fiction, or one essay entry in literary nonfiction per $22.50 online
                    entry fee; a writer may send up to three entries in one genre or a total
                    of three entries if entering all competitions.

                    Entry fee: $22.50 for each online entry (remember that a Poetry entry is
                    3 poems; 100 line limit per poem).

                    Each fee entitles entrant to one copy of the 2014 Winter/Spring issue of
                    CRAB ORCHARD REVIEW, which will include the winners of these
                    competitions, and one copy of the 2014 Summer/Fall issue of CRAB ORCHARD
                    REVIEW, our special issue "The West and Beyond." If you submit two
                    entries, we will extend your subscription an additional year; if you
                    submit three entries, we will extend your subscription two additional
                    years (online entries $22.50 each).