prose/poetry contest: Southern Illinois Writers Guild
- Southern Illinois Writers Guild Contest
Entries are open to all persons over 18 years, or enrolled in post-secondary
1st Place $100; 2nd Place $50; 3rd Place $25, in each category. Honorable
Mentions as determined by judges. Winners will be published in the Writers Voice,
the SIWG anthology, unless authors request otherwise. Winners will be
notified by mail in September, 2008.
Five dollars per entry, maximum of three entries per author. Check or money
order only, no cash. Make checks payable to: John A. Logan College. Entries not
enclosing the fee or following the rules will be discarded.
1. Fiction - Any subject or genre.
Nonfiction - Biography, memoir, article, or essay on any topic.
Poetry - Any style or topic.
(Please, no explicit sex or excessive violence.)
2. Original work of the entrant; unpublished at time of submission.
3. Page limit - Up to eight pages for Fiction and Nonfiction, one or
two pages for Poetry.
4. Format - Standard manuscript format (8-1/2" x 11" paper, typed
and double-spaced, 1" margins,12-point Times New Roman, pages numbered and title
of entry on every page). Poetry may vary margins and spacing as needed.
5. Two copies of each entry.
6. Cover sheet for each entry, with contestant's name, address,
category (Fiction, Nonfiction, or Poetry) and title of entry. Author's name should
appear only on the cover sheet, not the manuscript. Optional - Provide email
address for winner notification; brief bio to include with publication.
7. All winners must supply social security numbers in order to
collect a cash prize. Please do not supply your SSN until you are notified that you
have won a cash prize. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
Judges will be announced
1. Postmarked no later than May 1, 2008.
2. Mail flat, not folded, with sufficient postage. Do not send by
3. Optional - include a SAS postcard for verification that your
entry was received.
4. Send to:
John A. Logan College
Attn: Student Activities C109
SIWG Contest Entry
700 Logan College Rd.
Carterville, IL 62918
Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video
on AOL Living.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]