book contest for African American poets: Lotus Press
- GUIDELINES FOR THE NAOMI LONG MADGETT POETRY
· This competition is open to African
American poets only. If you have already had a
book published by Lotus Press, you are
ineligible. However, inclusion in a Lotus Press
anthology does not disqualify you.
· Any other serious African American
poet, whether previously published or not, may
submit a book length manuscript for
· Poems submitted by another person,
anthologies, or collaborations by more than one
poet are not eligible.
· The poems in the manuscript should
total approximately 60 to 90 pages, exclusive
of a table of contents or other optional
introductory material. Begin each poem on a new
page, no matter how short it may be, and number
· Poems that have been published
individually in periodicals or anthologies are
acceptable, but we will not consider an entire
collection that has been previously published,
whether self‑published or not.
· Manuscripts entered in the Madgett
competition may not be submitted to other
publishers for general consideration but may be
submitted to other competitions as long as you
notify us that you have done so or plan to do so.
If you are notified that your manuscript has won
another competition, you MUST inform us of this
· Send two complete copies of your
manuscript, typed or computer-generated on
white, letter-size paper, with the pages
consecutively numbered, to the address below. Do
not include your name on any of the pages
· Include with each copy a cover sheet
which contains the title of the collection only
and no other information.
· On one separate sheet of paper, list:
(1) the title of the manuscript; (2) your name,
address, telephone number(s) and e‑mail
address, if you have one; and (3) a brief
statement signed with your legal name, indicating
that (a) all the poems in the collection are
original and uncollected (not appearing in a
published volume of your work) and (b) you are an
· Keep a copy of your manuscript. Entries
will not be returned. After the winner has been
selected, all other manuscripts will be
· Enclose a stamped, self-addressed
post card so that we may acknowledge receipt of
· Mail your manuscript to the address
below using first class priority mail.
· Award entries must be received between
January 2 and March 31, 2008. You will be
notified of the winner's and the judges' names no
later than June 1, 2008. The decision of the
judges is final.
· The award winner will receive $500 in
cash and publication of the manuscript by Lotus
Press, Inc. later in 2008.
Mail material to:
LOTUS PRESS, Inc., ATTN: Constance Withers, P.O.
Box 21607, Detroit, MI 48221.
For questions: Phone: (313)
861-1280 EMail: (replace (at) with @)
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://webmail.aol.com
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]