fiction book contest: Sarabande Books

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008
      The Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction
      http://www.sarabandebooks.org/contest/mary_mccarthy_prize.html
      (go to website listed above for entry form)

      The Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction includes a $2,000 cash award,
      publication of a collection of short stories, novellas, or a short novel, and a
      standard royalty contract. See below for page requirements. Also, please note our
      entry fee ($25) and P.O. Box number below.

      Eligibility
      Contest is open to any writer of English who is a citizen of the United
      States. Employees and board members of Sarabande Books, Inc. are not eligible.
      Submissions may include a collection of short stories, one or more novellas, or a
      short novel. All manuscripts are required to be a minimum of 150 pages and are
      not to exceed 250 pages. Works that have previously appeared in magazines or
      in anthologies may be included. Translations and previously self-published
      collections are not eligible. To avoid conflict of interest, students in a
      degree-granting program or close friends of a judge are ineligible to enter the
      contest in the genre for which their friend or teacher is serving as judge.
      Manuscript Format
      Please submit one copy of the manuscript and our required entry form, which
      can be downloaded at
      http://www.sarabandebooks.org/contest/mary_mccarthy_prize.html
      Manuscript must be:
      Anonymous—the author's name or address must not appear anywhere on the
      manuscript (your title page should contain the title only).
      Between 150-250 pages.
      Typed on standard white paper, one side of the page only.
      Paginated consecutively with a table of contents and acknowledgements page (a
      list of publications in which stories or sections of the manuscript
      appeared).
      Bound with a spring clip or placed in a plain file folder. No paper clips or
      staples, please.
      Also, please keep the following in mind:
      Retain a copy of your manuscript. We cannot return manuscripts.
      Submission of more that one manuscript is permissible if each manuscript is
      accompanied by an entry form and handling fee.
      Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. Winner will be given the
      opportunity to make changes before publication.
      Simultaneous submissions to other publishers are permitted, but Sarabande
      Books must be notified immediately if manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
      Finalists will be asked to send additional copies of the work. Winner will be
      notified in early July. Sarabande Books will consider all finalists for
      publication.
      All manuscripts must be accompanied by our entry form which contains all the
      necessary identifying information. Do not send your manuscript without this
      form.

      Submission Information
      There is a $25 handling fee, check made payable to Sarabande Books, Inc.
      Manuscripts must be postmarked between and including January 1 and February
      15.
      Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for notification that manuscript
      has been received.
      Include a self-addressed, stamped, regular business-sized envelope for
      contest results.
      Please send your manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. No boxes please.
      No Federal Express, Overnight Mail, or UPS.
      We strongly advise that you send your manuscript first class.

      Please send entries to:
      The Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction
      Sarabande Books, Inc.
      PO Box 4456
      Louisville KY 40204