poetry book contest: Sarabande Books

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008
      The Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry
      http://www.sarabandebooks.org/contest/k_a_morton_prize.html
      (go to website for entry form)

      The Kathyrn A. Morton Prize in Poetry includes a $2,000 cash award,
      publication of a full-length collection of poetry, and a standard royalty contract.
      Kathryn A. Morton was a published author and devotee of fine literature,
      especially poetry. She received a B.A. from Wellesley College and an M.A. from
      Stanford University, where she studied with Yvor Winters. See below for page
      requirements. Also, please note our entry fee ($25) and P.O. Box number below.
      Eligibility
      Contest is open to any writer of English who is a citizen of the United
      States. Employees and board members of Sarabande Books, Inc. are not eligible.
      Individual poems from the manuscript may have been published previously in
      magazines, chapbooks of less than 48 pages, or anthologies, but the collection as a
      whole must be unpublished. Translations and previously self-published books are
      not eligible. To avoid conflict of interest, students in a degree-granting
      program or close friends of a judge are ineligible to enter the contest in the
      genre for which their friend or teacher is serving as judge.
      Manuscript Format
      Please submit one copy of the manuscript and our required entry form, found
      at
      http://www.sarabandebooks.org/contest/k_a_morton_prize.html
      Manuscripts must be:
      Anonymous—the author's name or address must not appear anywhere on the
      manuscript (your title page should contain the title only).
      A minimum of 48 pages of poetry.
      Typed on standard white paper, one side of the page only.
      Paginated consecutively with a table of contents and acknowledgements page (a
      list of publications in which poems from the manuscript have appeared).
      Bound with a spring clip or placed in a plain file folder. No paper clips or
      staples please.
      Also, please keep the following in mind:
      Retain a copy of your manuscript. We cannot return manuscripts.
      Submission of more that one manuscript is permissible if each manuscript is
      accompanied by an entry form and handling fee.
      Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. Winner will be given the
      opportunity to make changes before publication.
      Simultaneous submissions to other publishers are permitted, but Sarabande
      Books must be notified immediately if manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
      Finalists will be asked to send additional copies of the work. Sarabande
      Books will consider all finalists for publication. Winner will be notified in
      early July.

      All manuscripts must be accompanied by our entry form which contains all the
      necessary identifying information. Do not send your manuscript without this
      form.
      http://www.sarabandebooks.org/contest/k_a_morton_prize.html
      (go to website for entry form)

      Submission Information
      There is a $25 handling fee, check made payable to Sarabande Books, Inc.
      Manuscripts must be postmarked between and including January 1 and February
      15.
      Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for notification that manuscript
      has been received.
      Include a self-addressed, stamped, regular business-sized envelope for
      contest results.
      Please send your manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. No boxes please.
      No Federal Express, Overnight Mail, or UPS.
      We strongly advise that you send your manuscript first class.
      Please send entries to:
      The Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry
      Sarabande Books, Inc.
      PO Box 4456