Survey

  • Bailey Groves
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
      Games Unlimited LLC Survey:
      Games Unlimited
      5001 1st Ave SW #6
      Cedar Rapids, IA, 52404
      (319) 362-2526
      baileygroves@...

      We are looking to opening a new gaming store in Cedar
      Rapids, and are sending out this survey to evaluate what people are
      interested in. Just email the results back to me. Feel free to
      forward it to any other gamers you know. Thank you for your time.

      Let us know your interest in the following (rating 1 through
      10- 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest)
      Trading Card Games-
      Miniature Games-
      Board Games-
      Role Playing Games-
      Paintable miniatures and paints-
      Private gaming rooms with no fee if reserved-
      Private gaming rooms with a minimal fee-
      Private gaming rooms available outside regular store hours-
      Tournaments-
      League Play-
      Specialized game nights-
      Trade-in's for store credit-
      Trade-in's for cash-
      Consignment instead of Trade-in-
      Special orders-
      Prepackaged snacks and drinks (chips, candy, soda, etc)-
      Prepared cold food (sandwiches, etc.)-
      Hot, cooked food (pizza, burgers, etc.)-
      Custom drinks (various coffees, smoothies, fountain drinks,
      etc.)-
      Comics and Graphic Novels-
      DVD's (Popular)-
      DVD's (Specialty; Anime, etc.)-
      Video Games-
      Action figures and collectables-
      Discounts to regular customers-
      Website with complete product listing-
      Online message board for finding gaming groups-
      Free delivery for online or special orders-
      In-store message board for finding gaming groups-
      Newsletter describing new product releases-
      Rentals of games or gaming materials for in-store use-
      Free product demo's-
      Store credit for referrals-
      Gaming supplies (custom dice, gaming mats, card sleeves,
      etc)-
      List the top 3 things that are important to you in a game-
      -
      -
      -
      List the top 3 things that you would like to see in a game
      shop-
      -
      -
      -
      List the top 3 things you would LEAST like to see in a game
      shop-
      -
      -
      -
      Are you Male or Female?

      What age range do you fall into?
      Under 15, 15-18, 18-21, 21-26, 26-31, 31-36, 36-41, 41-46,
      46-51, 56-61, or 61+

      What kinds of games do you currently play?

      How many years have you played?

      What kind of games would you be interested in learning to
      play?

      What games, books, expansions, supplements, etc., do you
      currently own?

      How much do you spend per month in gaming materials?

      Per year?

      What ideal location would you like to see in a store?

      What would be the ideal store hours for you to visit?

      If a store was opened, how regularly would you visit?
      What days?
      What times?

      Would you be interested in a game you had never heard of if
      someone sat down and showed you how to play it?

      Are you currently part of a gaming group that plays
      regularly?
      If so, how often do you meet?
      What type of location do you typically meet at?

      Feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, or
      requests you may have:
    • Josh K. Gants
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
        See answers below:

        1
        5
        > Board Games-
        10
        > Role Playing Games-
        10
        5
        1
        2
        5
        5
        5
        2
        5
        1
        2
        4
        9
        8
        5
        7
        > List the top 3 things that are important to you in a game-
        > -
        Price (more games get bought than actually played, so I tend to shy away
        from the more expensive stuff)
        > -
        Interesting Subject Matter
        > -
        Completeness (I hate buying a game then finding out I have to buy half a
        dozen supplements to make it worthwhile)

        > List the top 3 things that you would like to see in a game
        >shop-
        > -
        A decent amount of inventory (that is fully viewable - no shrink-wrapped
        books). If I can't browse at a store, the store is relatively useless to
        me.
        > -
        Attentive but not intrusive sales staff. I don't want a place where the
        "employees" act like the store is their own personal club. On the other
        hand, I like to browse without being asked "can I help you?" a dozen times.
        > -
        A nice, clean, well-lit, relatively quiet environment to browse/shop in with
        ample parking.

        > List the top 3 things you would LEAST like to see in a game
        >shop-
        > -
        I don't want to see lazy/incompetent sales staff on the floor hanging out
        with their friends playing Warhammer, standing behind the counter yakking
        with their friends about magic cards, sitting behind the counter reading
        comics, or who are too stupid to special order a book for you correctly on
        the first two tries despite the fact you ordered a popular book and helped
        them find all the info in the distributor's catalog when you made the order.
        > -
        Similarly, I do not want a store with a "clubhouse" feel where the store is
        always full with a set of regulars that sit and play Warhammer or Magic or
        whatever all day in the middle of the sales floor forcing you to try and
        step around them just to shop, assuming you can even find a parking spot to
        park in, and are so loud you can't hear yourself think.
        > -
        Most of all, I don't want to see empty shelves with a random hodge podge of
        relatively few products - including sourcebooks for games without the main
        game rule book being sold, etc.

        Or to put it more succinctly, just take a trip to Battlezone to see all the
        things I don't want in a gaming store.

        > Are you Male or Female?

        Male
        > What age range do you fall into?
        > Under 15, 15-18, 18-21, 21-26, 26-31, 31-36, 36-41, 41-46,
        > 46-51, 56-61, or 61+

        26-31
        >What kinds of games do you currently play?

        RPGs and tactical board games (Risk, Axis & Allies, etc)

        >How many years have you played?

        20+

        > What kind of games would you be interested in learning to
        >play?

        Always interested in new RPGs and tactical board games (curious about Cross
        of Iron and Memoir '44 currently). Might be interested in a couple of
        collectible minis games (currently, only A&A War at Sea or Star Wars
        Starship Battles hold any appeal to me - I'd kind of like to try those).

        > What games, books, expansions, supplements, etc., do you
        >currently own?

        For RPGs currently in print, I have books for many of the Palladium Books
        game lines, Star Wars Saga Edition, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Castles &
        Crusades, and Dogs in the Vineyard. For tactical board games, I have
        Axis&Allies and Risk 2210. I also have a few smaller games - such as the
        Zombies boardgame and a couple of those Cheapass Games mini-games.

        > How much do you spend per month in gaming materials?

        Depends. Some months a fair amount, other months nothing.

        >Per year?

        I'd say, on average, just a few hundred. I don't buy any of the collectible
        stuff, just some RPG books here and there and the occasional boardgame.

        > What ideal location would you like to see in a store?

        Ideally, somewhere on the east side of town. But mostly, some location
        where the store is big enough to move around in and there is ample parking.

        > What would be the ideal store hours for you to visit?

        Normal day hours Saturday or Sunday

        > If a store was opened, how regularly would you visit?
        Once every few weeks

        > What days?
        Saturday or Sunday

        > What times?
        During the day

        > Would you be interested in a game you had never heard of if
        >someone sat down and showed you how to play it?

        If the game itself was interesting, sure.

        > Are you currently part of a gaming group that plays
        >regularly?
        Yes

        > If so, how often do you meet?
        Every other week

        > What type of location do you typically meet at?

        Church rec room or someone's house

        > Feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, or
        >requests you may have:

        I'd like to see something a lot more like The Hobby Corner (a retail store)
        and less like Critical Hit Games or Battlezone (a hang out place that
        happens to sell stuff).

        http://liveearth.msn.com
      • Matthew Kearns
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
          We are looking to opening a new gaming store in Cedar
          Rapids, and are sending out this survey to evaluate what people are
          interested in. Just email the results back to me. Feel free to
          forward it to any other gamers you know. Thank you for your time.

          Let us know your interest in the following (rating 1 through
          10- 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest)
          Trading Card Games-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          Miniature Games-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          Board Games-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          Role Playing Games-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Paintable miniatures and paints-[Matthew Kearns] 1
          Private gaming rooms with no fee if reserved-[Matthew Kearns] 7
          Private gaming rooms with a minimal fee-[Matthew Kearns] 7
          Private gaming rooms available outside regular store hours-[Matthew
          Kearns] 10
          Tournaments-[Matthew Kearns] 7
          League Play-[Matthew Kearns] 1
          Specialized game nights-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Trade-in's for store credit-[Matthew Kearns] 8
          Trade-in's for cash-[Matthew Kearns] 8
          Consignment instead of Trade-in-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          Special orders-[Matthew Kearns] 8
          Prepackaged snacks and drinks (chips, candy, soda, etc)-[Matthew Kearns] 7
          Prepared cold food (sandwiches, etc.)-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Hot, cooked food (pizza, burgers, etc.)-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Custom drinks (various coffees, smoothies, fountain drinks,
          etc.)-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Comics and Graphic Novels-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          DVD's (Popular)-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          DVD's (Specialty; Anime, etc.)-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Video Games-[Matthew Kearns] 5
          Action figures and collectables-[Matthew Kearns] 3
          Discounts to regular customers-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Website with complete product listing-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Online message board for finding gaming groups-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Free delivery for online or special orders-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          In-store message board for finding gaming groups-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Newsletter describing new product releases-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Rentals of games or gaming materials for in-store use-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Free product demo's-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Store credit for referrals-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          Gaming supplies (custom dice, gaming mats, card sleeves,
          etc)-[Matthew Kearns] 10
          List the top 3 things that are important to you in a game-
          -[Matthew Kearns] Subject Matter
          - [Matthew Kearns] Presentation
          -[Matthew Kearns] System matching well with the genre/property/etc.
          List the top 3 things that you would like to see in a game
          shop-
          -[Matthew Kearns] Attentive Employees
          -[Matthew Kearns] Clean, well-kept store
          -[Matthew Kearns] Clear delineation between merchandise and gaming area
          List the top 3 things you would LEAST like to see in a game
          shop-
          -[Matthew Kearns] Loud, unruly gamers
          -[Matthew Kearns] Employees not taking care of customers
          -[Matthew Kearns] Little to no variation in available games
          Are you Male or Female?
          [Matthew Kearns] males
          What age range do you fall into?
          Under 15, 15-18, 18-21, 21-26, 26-31, 31-36, 36-41, 41-46,
          46-51, 56-61, or 61+
          [Matthew Kearns] 26-31
          What kinds of games do you currently play?
          [Matthew Kearns] RPGs, sometimes CCGs
          How many years have you played?
          [Matthew Kearns] 15+
          What kind of games would you be interested in learning to
          play?
          [Matthew Kearns] I just couldn't say really as I go on gut-feeling most of
          the time with my games
          What games, books, expansions, supplements, etc., do you
          currently own?
          [Matthew Kearns] Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Mutants & Masterminds,
          Serenity, Star Wars Saga, Call of Cthulhu, DnD 3.5 and there are others I
          simply collect
          How much do you spend per month in gaming materials?
          [Matthew Kearns] It varies based on the games I support and available
          funds
          Per year?
          [Matthew Kearns] about $100
          What ideal location would you like to see in a store?
          [Matthew Kearns] Easy access, not secluded, plenty of parking
          What would be the ideal store hours for you to visit?
          [Matthew Kearns] Until 930 or 10 in evenings on weekdays, maybe just all
          week long
          If a store was opened, how regularly would you visit?[Matthew Kearns] if
          its not on the north end of town, every other week probably unless I were
          playing a game there
          What days? [Matthew Kearns] F, Sat, Sun most likely unless over the
          holidays
          What times?[Matthew Kearns] No set time for me

          Would you be interested in a game you had never heard of if
          someone sat down and showed you how to play it?[Matthew Kearns] It would
          depend on the game, but I would interested in learning new games, sure

          Are you currently part of a gaming group that plays
          regularly?[Matthew Kearns] yes
          If so, how often do you meet? [Matthew Kearns] weekly
          What type of location do you typically meet at?[Matthew Kearns] home (used
          to be at Battlezone)

          Feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, or
          requests you may have:

        • DWilsonIA
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
            Hey y'all, be careful when replying so you don't send your answers to
            the entire group, unless you mean to.

            If you just want to send them to Bailey, I suggest using 'forward'
            instead of 'reply'.

            Thanks.