Hamsphere

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6 10:18 AM
      Is anyone on this Group trying out or using Hamsphere?

      www.hamsphere.com

      If you are, I'm interested in a comparison to CQ100.

      Thanks,

      Joe, N2QOJ
    • conrad johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6 11:32 AM
        I am a member of both 'teams'.
        I find Hamsphere has the old time quick and dirty QSO and so far I have
        not found any nets.  There is also background noise just like in HF.
        The one big difference among CQ100 users and Hamsphers users is that
        non-hams are allowed on Hamsphere - gives these people a chance to talk
        around the world and gain operator experience for getting a ham ticket.

        The qso's on CQ100 last for several minutes up to an hour or more, even
        among first time contacts.

        CQ100 has several nets throughout the day, evening, and weekends.

        There is one net I am a member of called Show and Tell 400.  The 400 because
        we meet on 28.400 Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays.  There are
        several certificates available for working the members - certificates are based
        on SAT member numbers.

        KA0AK and W6ALC are the net gurus and there are several net control stations
        that rotate the duty.

        This net meets at 10:00pm EST on Tuesdays and Saturdays and at 9:00pm on
        Thursdays.

        There is also the Hoot Owl net that meets on 7.242 at 9:30pm EST M-F.

        There are many many more nets but these are two I have the time to get on.

        N4ZQA

      • Jerry Colton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6 12:34 PM

          Hello Joe and Group
           I subscribe to CQ100 as well as Hamsphere. I like both very much. I am the Forum Admin for Hamsphere as well.
          Hamsphere does allow non licensed folks who are radio enthusiasts to operate. This has some good points and bad ones. What I find most rewarding using Hamsphere is seeing folks actually use this program as a tool to learn proper operating skills. In the last month and a half, I know of 4 guys that went on to get their ticket. Hamsphere wasn't responsible for that happening but all said it helped them greatly in learning about ham radio and operating.
          We do get a flurry of "pirates" but have been very fortunate to have tracked them down and suspend their accounts.
          I am most impressed at the way that a large percentage of the non licensed folks conduct themselves. These folks are what are known as 11 meter DXers. Some with years of experience outside of the amateur community.
          There have been several nets but they haven't caught on yet but I suppose they will as soon as the Hamsphere population grows. We did have 1 contest so far and it was a huge success.

          It is a constant battle to keep the trouble makers off the bands but we are very succesful at that as well. Most are just on their free trial period so they are gone, for the most part, after 3 days.
          All in all, it is a terrific program with the real HF feel.

          I certainly don't look at CQ100 and Hamsphere as competitors but as 2 similar VOIP programs promoting Ham radio.... the best hobby in the world!

          73
          Jerry - N1TKO

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6 4:09 PM
            Conrad, Jerry -

            Thanks for that feedback. Very interesting stuff. I began my trial last evening - not much activity. I did hear a couple of QSOs and some "tone" music on one of the bands.

            It's certainly good to have some choices in the area of RF simulated VoIP.

            Benybarr -

            Wow, I was looking for some comparison of the service not the Forum experience.

            You have me very curious. I wonder what you had written to cause such backlash as you describe. I did check the Forum but found nothing there from you. I guess they eradicated your musings.

            I thank you all for your input and I'll post some of my own observations over the next few days.

            Regards,

            Joe, N2QOJ

            --- In CQ100_QsoNet@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <jsammartino@...> wrote:

            > Is anyone on this Group trying out or using Hamsphere?
            >
            > www.hamsphere.com
            >
            > If you are, I'm interested in a comparison to CQ100.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Joe, N2QOJ

          • Eugene Douglas
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14 12:20 PM
              Who are "They"  I don't know anyone by the name of "They" Please give a name!!!!!
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14 6:36 PM
                I don't have a lot of choice living in a high rise with restrictive covenants. No, Hamsphere and CQ 100 are not radio, but they are part of ham culture. Elderly in nursing homes can use the programs.  So they are helpful but not for everyone. The BC band is there for testing your mic level before you tx on the bands. I don't have a problem with it.

                Dave
                KH7DD