Chapter 5 passes unanimously!

  • CPR Steering
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2007
      We just got word that the Chapter 5 proposal was approved unanimously and without changes at today's City Council meeting!  Congratulations and many, many thanks to everyone who drafted the revision, took the time to actually *read* it over and over and suggest improvements, sent letters and made calls to Council to support the revision, made "Chapter 5 Will Save Lives" stickers, and showed up at the meetings November 29 and today.

      Some of you may not have any idea how many changes were made to the proposal as a result of public comment.  Some issues were legal technicalities, some were conflicts with state law or best practice, some were major philosophical issues, and some were spelling and grammar errors.  Probably no one got everything he or she wanted.  But the proposal that went to Council was much, much better because of you folks, so thank you.  And thanks to ACS, the city attorney's office, the health department, and neighborhood services for loaning staff to the process for ten months.

      Most of the significant changes don't kick in until March 1, 2008, so we have a lot of work to do to educate our community on the changes and connect families to the spay/neuter and other resources they need to get into compliance with the laws.  Please stay involved!  This is the end of one battle but the beginning of a sea change in the way San Antonio treats our companion animals.