National Feral Cat Day rally 10/16 1-2pm

  • Laura McKieran
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      Please contact Joel Hailey directly with questions -
      JoelHailey@... or 333-3310.

      ------------------------
      From: JoelHailey@...
      Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:22:34 EDT

      I am organizing a rally in front of City Hall from 1:00-2:00 p.m. on
      Oct. 16 (Tuesday) which is National Feral Cat Day. City Council
      begins considering the proposed animal code the next day. I will
      bring posters proclaiming to City Hall the following themes: (1)
      allowing Trap-Neuter-Return (instead of trap-kill) for feral cat
      colonies, and (2) requiring spay-neuter for outdoor cats and dogs.
      You may of course bring a poster with your own theme if you like.
      Please let me know if you're interested in attending so that I can
      prepare a sufficient number of posters and decide media details.

      City Hall is located downtown at Military Plaza on Flores St. between
      Commerce and Dolorosa. From I-37 you can head west on Commerce, or
      from I-10 you can go east on Dolorosa. The Bexar County Parking
      Garage on Flores, 2 blocks south of City Hall, offers unlimited time
      parking for $2.00. There are also 2-hour parking meters near the
      garage and 2 blocks west of City Hall on Dolorosa (these require
      quarters).

      Please pass this on to your friends and post on your websites.
      Please also consider copying and e-mailing the following letter to
      the city staff along with any other comments you prefer:

      "To: phardberger@..., citymanager@...,
      district1@..., MaryAlice.Cisneros@...,
      district2@..., district3@...,
      district4@..., district5@...,
      vsalazar@..., district6@...,
      district7@..., district8@...,
      Diane.Cibrian@..., district9@...,
      kwolff@..., district10@...,
      John.Clamp@...

      Subject: SUPPORT SPAY-NEUTER & BREEDING LAWS

      Dear Mayor, City Manager, and Council Members,

      As you consider the proposed animal code revision, please support the
      provisions requiring spay-neuter for outdoor cats, intact permits for
      dogs that are not spayed or neutered, and litter permits which
      discourage breeding.

      In 2006, 32,799 dogs and cats were euthanized at the city pound due
      to massive overbreeding. Spay-neuter laws are a reasonable attempt
      to stop reckless overbreeding which results in thousands of homeless
      animals being euthanized. It would protect taxpayers from
      continually "footing the bill" for those causing the animal
      overpopulation crisis which costs the city millions.

      Sincerely,

      ________________________ [your name]

      Thanks much,

      Joel Hailey