Cornwell, Oxfordshire

  • DebraMunn@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 1999
      Hi, Members,

      I'm a new member of this list, as I recently discovered that my 4th GG was Elizabeth Cornwell, b. 18 May 1813 and married 3 April 1838 to Wright Willis, b. 1810 in GA and d. ABT 1856. Elizabeth's parents were Daniel Cornwell and Mary UNKNOWN, and they also had a son named George Cornwell. If anyone has info on this family, please let me know.

      I also wanted to say that I was recently honeymooning in the Cotswolds (I'm a native Texan now living in England, in Brighton), when my husband and I saw a sign pointing to Cornwell in the county of Oxfordshire. I had recently learned of my connection to the Cornwells and asked him to drive us through the small village. Then just last week I was in a library here in Brighton where I found the following reference in "A Dictionary of British Surnames" by P.H. Reaney:

      Cornwell: Roger de Cornwelle
      1161 Eynsham.
      From Cornwell (Oxon). v Cornell

      In case you don't know, "Oxon" is the abbreviation for Oxfordshire, and this little village was apparently the place where the surname originated. Just thought this might interest you if you don't already know it!

      Debra Munn