Re: [CNYBabywearers] Baby Carrier

  • nynanny3@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2011
      Christina-
      Welcome! Congrats! I used a sling, moby and ring sling when my daughter was a newborn. I loved the last two the most. A pocket is good but can be tricky to get a good fit for you and baby.
      That was 13 months ago (tears!!!) I use a woven wrap or an ergo every day. I still use a ring sling for really quick trips (she isn't walking and loves to be on my hip) and I have a mesh RS for the pool.
      I personally think the ergo was the best thing my parents ever bought for me. My husband loves it too. It is hard to find one perfect carrier that works for the first year.
      I would recommend coming to the next meeting. You can try on different carriers and see if you like them. I know people who like a boba or beco better than the ergo. I know some people who use a woven and nothing else. I also know people who swear by a mei tai.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:13 PM, "csorbello11" <cldeangelo@...> wrote:

      Hi All,
      I am new to the group and looking for some advice.
      I am pregnant with my first baby and would like to be a babywearer.
      I am overwhelmed, however, by all of the options for baby carriers out there - slings, soft carriers, etc. The hotsling was recommended to me, but now I am reading about how slings can be unsafe. Is something like the Baby Bjorn better? I'd like to wear my baby right from infancy and want one appropriate for a newborn on up.
      I am hoping some of you won't mind sharing your knowledge, opinions, and insight.
      Looking forward to hearing your input.
      Thanks so much!
      Christina

    • nynanny3@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2011
        Huh! My phone sent before I finished my thought.
        Every body is different, carriers that works for one person/family might not work for you. This is why the meetings are so great you can try it before you buy it. ;)
        I would be happy to meet you and show you my 10 carriers if you can't come to the meeting. Don't feel overwhelmed!
        I used a baby bjorn as the first carrier 6 years ago (as a nanny) I didn't find it comfortable after wearing it for 20 min or less I would be in pain.

        When are you due?
        Talk to you soon!
        Steph

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
          Welcome Christina!

          Steph made some great suggestions.  I usually recommend a ring sling and/or a stretchy wrap (like the Moby) for newborns/new babywearers.  Ring slings are great because they're very easy to learn and use, quick to put on, and easy to adjust for a perfect fit.  Stretchy wraps are great because they offer two-shoulder support and offer a very snuggle-like fit, almost like being swaddled.  A stretchy wrap might take a few tries to get the wrapping technique down, but once you get the hang of it it can be relatively quick.  Also, you can pop the baby in and out without having to redo the wrap job; you can just leave it on.

          If you can make it to our meeting next weekend, you can try out various carriers and use our weighted doll for practice.  If you choose to join Babywearing International, you will have access to our lending library and can even borrow a carrier to have on hand when your baby is born, to try before you buy (not sure when you're due, but you can just take one at the meeting closest to your due date).

          I hope this is helpful!  I'm also happy to meet with moms/dads/caregivers outside of meetings for one-on-one help when needed.

          Faith Rayland
          Volunteer Babywearing Educator
          Co-Founder, Central New York Chapter
          babywearinginternational.org