Re: [CNYBabywearers] babywearing woes...

  • Lisa Jannah Prentiss
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2011
      Hi Karra,

      I just came across this article and thought about you.

      Lisa

      On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Glenda Criss <gmcriss@...> wrote:

      Karra,

      What part of your body hurts?  you could try an SSC to see if that works.  Some people find it very comfortable.  The thing that makes BW so great and yet so frustrating is that everyone finds different things that work.  AND, it can change with your children.  With Aiden, I wore wraps all the time and found them very, very comfortable.  With Caitlin, I found wraps to be quite painful and loved MT carriers.  We can certainly try to trouble shoot at the meeting, but if you can get ahold of a SSC, you might want to try it.  The other thing could be that the brand of carrier you try (less so of woven wraps, but of MT, RS, Pouch, and SSC) make a difference since the dimensions are all different.  So, you could try a different brand of MT, perhaps a bigger bodied or wide strapped MT, for example, and that might work.  If I were you, I'd bring a wrap and a MT to the meeting and we can trouble shoot and then see if you can borrow a SSC.

      Glenda

      On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM, kebattaglia <kebattaglia@...> wrote:

      Hi Ladies!

      So I just don't know what to do or what to try next. Every carrier I have hurts me after like 10-15 min. Even if I re-adjust and try to tie them tighter or a different way.

      I have a moby wrap (that I don't really use anymore)
      Sleeping Baby productions ring sling
      Babyhawk Mei Tai
      Storch woven wrap
      Girasol woven wrap

      I borrowed one of Faith's Didys for a while and still had pain.

      I've mainly been using the wovens and the ring sling. With the wovens I've tried front wrap cross carry, front cross carry, kangaroo, rucksack, double hammock, and secure high back carry. I wear at least once a day and would love the versatility of wearing more...but I usually wrap Samuel and then keep him on for as long as I can take it (usually not more than an hour). I'm pretty sure I'm wrapping tight enough...and I spread the fabric over my back and on my shoulders.

      Is my body just not made to carry babies for long term?? Do I need to try a SSC (haha)?

      I know the meeting is this weekend but with the nice weather this week and my older daughter's recent behavior, I'd love to be able to wear Samuel more than once a day this week.

      Let me know if I've left out any important background information

      Thanks!!
      Karra

      --
      Glenda Criss
      President of the Board of Directors

      --

      Mom Of 7 Lovies

    • faithrayland
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2011
        Karra,

        I agree with everything Glenda wrote. Also, of the carriers you listed, if you're planning to wear for an hour or more I personally would do Double Hammock with a woven wrap. One trick I've discovered to make Double Hammock more comfortable is to make sure the chest pass is SUPER tight, but then once you're ready to make your ruck straps and finish the carry, keep it snug but not too tight. It shouldn't feel like his legs are pinned to your sides, he should be able to settle down into the seat of the "hammocks". As Glenda said, bring your carriers on Sunday and we can help troubleshoot.

        Faith

        --- In CNYBabywearers@yahoogroups.com, Glenda Criss <gmcriss@...> wrote:

        > Karra,
        >
        > What part of your body hurts? you could try an SSC to see if that works.
        > Some people find it very comfortable. The thing that makes BW so great and
        > yet so frustrating is that everyone finds different things that work. AND,
        > it can change with your children. With Aiden, I wore wraps all the time and
        > found them very, very comfortable. With Caitlin, I found wraps to be quite
        > painful and loved MT carriers. We can certainly try to trouble shoot at the
        > meeting, but if you can get ahold of a SSC, you might want to try it. The
        > other thing could be that the brand of carrier you try (less so of woven
        > wraps, but of MT, RS, Pouch, and SSC) make a difference since the dimensions
        > are all different. So, you could try a different brand of MT, perhaps a
        > bigger bodied or wide strapped MT, for example, and that might work. If I
        > were you, I'd bring a wrap and a MT to the meeting and we can trouble shoot
        > and then see if you can borrow a SSC.
        >
        > Glenda
        >
        > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM, kebattaglia <kebattaglia@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi Ladies!
        > >
        > > So I just don't know what to do or what to try next. Every carrier I have
        > > hurts me after like 10-15 min. Even if I re-adjust and try to tie them
        > > tighter or a different way.
        > >
        > > I have a moby wrap (that I don't really use anymore)
        > > Sleeping Baby productions ring sling
        > > Babyhawk Mei Tai
        > > Storch woven wrap
        > > Girasol woven wrap
        > >
        > > I borrowed one of Faith's Didys for a while and still had pain.
        > >
        > > I've mainly been using the wovens and the ring sling. With the wovens I've
        > > tried front wrap cross carry, front cross carry, kangaroo, rucksack, double
        > > hammock, and secure high back carry. I wear at least once a day and would
        > > love the versatility of wearing more...but I usually wrap Samuel and then
        > > keep him on for as long as I can take it (usually not more than an hour).
        > > I'm pretty sure I'm wrapping tight enough...and I spread the fabric over my
        > > back and on my shoulders.
        > >
        > > Is my body just not made to carry babies for long term?? Do I need to try a
        > > SSC (haha)?
        > >
        > > I know the meeting is this weekend but with the nice weather this week and
        > > my older daughter's recent behavior, I'd love to be able to wear Samuel more
        > > than once a day this week.
        > >
        > > Let me know if I've left out any important background information
        > >
        > > Thanks!!
        > > Karra
        > >

        > --
        > Glenda Criss
        > President of the Board of Directors
        > www.babywearinginternational.org

      • kebattaglia
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 5:11 PM
          Thanks for all the responses and it was great to see everyone at the meeting! Just wanted to say thanks!

          I'm trying out a couple things and hopefully I can get this right!!

          Thanks,
          Karra