Job Title: Ecological Restoration Intern
Opportunity location: Golden Gate National Recreation Area
The Site Stewardship Program is seeking a motivated intern to work in a
dynamic community-based habitat restoration program in the Golden Gate
National Recreation Area in the San Francisco bay area.
Site Stewardship is a small office, with 4 permanent employees and 4 to
6 full-time interns. We provide care and restoration of sensitive lands
and species within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area with the
support of local volunteers and education groups. Work sites are in a
variety of coastal habitats north and south of the Golden Gate Bridge
and support three endangered species.
1. Help prioritize, plan, and oversee habitat restoration projects and
2. Conduct on-the-ground habitat restoration including invasive species
control, fence construction, and revegetation.
3. Monitor restoration progress; collect, enter, and manage ecological
4. Help prepare summary reports and revise management plans.
5. Engage local community by leading interpretive hikes, creating
interpretive materials, and corresponding with volunteers.
6. Maintain tools and equipment and other miscellaneous duties.
1. Familiarity with biological and ecological concepts.
2. A love of nature, plants, and enthusiasm for outdoor work and getting
your hands dirty.
3. Strong interest in ecological restoration and endangered species
4. Ability to work well within a team; sense of humor, flexibility, and
collaboration a must!
5. Ability to take on responsibility, work independently, and assume a
leadership role when needed.
6. Great verbal and written communication skills.
7. Basic computer literacy, Microsoft word and excel.
1. Bachelor's degree in biology, botany, environmental science, or
2. Experience conducting habitat restoration or related natural
resources management work.
3. Plant/animal identification skills.
4. Experience with Global Positioning Systems and Geographic Information
5. Experience with Photoshop, Powerpoint, or other visual format
1. We offer free housing in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
2. We offer a stipend of $20/day ($100/week).
3. We offer transportation to work sites.
4. We offer personalized training and marketable work experience.
1. Desired start date: June 1-15 2008, flexible date.
2. Length of position: 6 months to 1 year.
3. Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday, full-time.
For more info, contact:
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to