Ecological Restoration Internship at Golden Gate NRA

  • Spanglet, Harry
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      -----Original Message-----

      Job Title: Ecological Restoration Intern

      Opportunity location: Golden Gate National Recreation Area

      Opportunity Description:

      The Site Stewardship Program is seeking a motivated intern to work in a
      dynamic community-based habitat restoration program in the Golden Gate
      National Recreation Area in the San Francisco bay area.

      Site Stewardship is a small office, with 4 permanent employees and 4 to
      6 full-time interns. We provide care and restoration of sensitive lands
      and species within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area with the
      support of local volunteers and education groups. Work sites are in a
      variety of coastal habitats north and south of the Golden Gate Bridge
      and support three endangered species.

      Duties
      1. Help prioritize, plan, and oversee habitat restoration projects and
      volunteer workdays.
      2. Conduct on-the-ground habitat restoration including invasive species
      control, fence construction, and revegetation.
      3. Monitor restoration progress; collect, enter, and manage ecological
      data.
      4. Help prepare summary reports and revise management plans.
      5. Engage local community by leading interpretive hikes, creating
      interpretive materials, and corresponding with volunteers.
      6. Maintain tools and equipment and other miscellaneous duties.

      Minimum qualifications
      1. Familiarity with biological and ecological concepts.
      2. A love of nature, plants, and enthusiasm for outdoor work and getting
      your hands dirty.
      3. Strong interest in ecological restoration and endangered species
      management.
      4. Ability to work well within a team; sense of humor, flexibility, and
      collaboration a must!
      5. Ability to take on responsibility, work independently, and assume a
      leadership role when needed.
      6. Great verbal and written communication skills.
      7. Basic computer literacy, Microsoft word and excel.

      Desired qualifications
      1. Bachelor's degree in biology, botany, environmental science, or
      related field.
      2. Experience conducting habitat restoration or related natural
      resources management work.
      3. Plant/animal identification skills.
      4. Experience with Global Positioning Systems and Geographic Information
      Systems.
      5. Experience with Photoshop, Powerpoint, or other visual format
      software.

      Compensation:
      1. We offer free housing in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
      2. We offer a stipend of $20/day ($100/week).
      3. We offer transportation to work sites.
      4. We offer personalized training and marketable work experience.

      Terms
      1. Desired start date: June 1-15 2008, flexible date.
      2. Length of position: 6 months to 1 year.
      3. Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday, full-time.

      For more info, contact:

      To apply, send a cover letter and resume to
      ccrooker@...