Re: Importing aluminum extrusion profiles

  • Mikko L.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello Mike,

      you might want to try some other formats. If I don't remember totally
      wrong, Max is a bit weak on importing .dwg's

      As far as I can recall (haven't really used Max for ages, as I have to
      use DEPOCam and Rhino daily at work...), you must convert imported
      vector data into splines before you can extrude them.

      You might also want to check if other import settings have any efect...

      - Mikko

      BTW Rab, can you manage these lists so that you can remove some certain
      email from the list ?
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
        Mike,

        As Mikko says, the extrude modifier works on splines and it's likely
        that the .dxf imported as a mesh.

        Go into the mesh's sub-object mode, face selection and select all the
        faces and use the extrude command under 'edit geometry'

        could you email me the file in question if that doesn't work

        Rab

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "mmeyers1111" <mmeyers1111@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Mikko,

          I can delete emails and users if needed, but fortunately we don't
          seem to have a spam problem as yet.

          Rab

          > - Mikko
          >
          > BTW Rab, can you manage these lists so that you can remove some
          certain
          > email from the list ?
        • mmeyers1111
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
            Rab,

            I'm going to take you up on your offer to import the dwg and dxf files
            that are causing me problems when I try to import them into 3DS MAX
            (v 5.0). I put a 2D dxf, a 2D dwg and a 3D dwg into the the 'mike'
            folder of the group's 'file' section. I have problems importing any
            of those 3 files. I also included a ball screw stl file that
            imported perfectly.

            The dxf,/dwg and igs files come in with problems such as:
            1) Solid circles where holes should be

            2) Significantly misshaped holes

            3) When importing 3D dgw and igs files, I experience the problems
            noted above plus... solids are not accurate and not really 'solid'.
            For example, a solid cylinder will be shown as a solid when viewing
            the top, but if I rotate it, the bottom view displays it like an
            empty glass instead of a solid cylinder.

            4) Many more 'not so good' things, etc., etc...

            In contrast to dwg/dxf and igs file imports, I've had perfect results
            when I have imported stl files. For example, I downloaded and
            imported CNC component models from http://www.nookindustries.com as
            stl files. The ball screw stl file came in perfectly, but I could
            not get the dxf/dwg or igs files to come in without a multitude of
            issues.

            Here are the import settings I used with stl files...
            - 'Weld threshold' = 0.01 with 'Weld' checkbox selected/checked
            - 'Use Threshold' radio button selected
            - 'Smooth angle' = 30.0 and 'Auto-smooth' selected/checked
            - 'Remove double faces' selected/checked
            - 'Unify Normals' selected/checked

            Any insight, hints or assistance will be appreciated. I'm using 3DS
            MAX 5.0 with its defaults for imports.

            Thanks,

            Mike

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              Mike

              15ex3030_2d.dwg is useable but needed some seperating out and welding
              after it imported, I also appled a 2-sided material to it.
              I uploaded a Max file to your folder with it.

              many problems are caused by mesh faces pointing the 'wrong way' so
              the 2-sided material is a quick fix.