Question??

  • Chris Klindt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6 10:30 PM
      Hi All,

      What are you trying to do with the CNC_Toolkit?
      Are you trying to learn the Kit?
      Do you need more information?
      Is the Kit not fulfulling your needs?
      As far as I am concerned, this is a neat Kit. If you would let Rab know what you want in the kit, it could save you thousands in the end to buy stuff you don't need.
      The way I see it, Rab is making the Kit work for what he needs. What do you need?

      Come on, let's see some things made with the Kit. You are on the ground floor with this beta.

      What do you want?

      Chris Klindt
      http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/

      Get away from your computer and go...
      Play some POOL!!!!

    • ozzie34231
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7 4:38 AM
        Hi Chris,
        I aquired the toolkit a few months ago and downloaded a copy of Gmax.
        The combination seems awesome in capability, but also in steepness of
        the learning curve. After a few weeks I just gave up. If I'd had a
        specific use for it I'm sure I'd have persisted. I still find it
        fascinating and joined this group to see what I could learn.

        I've been to your website and find what you're doing to be just as
        awesome. You are inlaying on an object that is not only round, but
        also tapered.

        My guess is that the members of this group break into two parts,
        those that already know what they're doing with the program and are
        using it, and those of us who are too clueless to ask intelligent
        questions.

        I'd like to see you decribe how you do, what you do, in detail with
        pictures and drawings. Since this part of the forum doesn't allow
        pictures or drawings, it would have to be posted in the files section
        like the Mach2 manual. What I'm asking is a lot of work and would
        need to cover how you draw what you want, and then how you use the
        toolkit to generate the code.

        What may seem simple to you, seems like brain surgery to me.
        Are the tiny walls of the cutout for the inlays radial, or straight
        up and down like a keyway. Making the cutout seems mind bogling
        enough, but what about the inlay itself. How is that cut, how do you
        hold it, how is that code generated?

        I understand that what I'm asking is perhaps beyond the scope of the
        forum.

        From my perspective it might be neat to make machine dial that is
        tapered and inlayed, but without a lot of help it's outta sight.

        I hope we get more input to this forum because I think what Rab has
        created is really fantastic.

        Jerry

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Chris Klindt <klickcue@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > What are you trying to do with the CNC_Toolkit?
        > Are you trying to learn the Kit?
        > Do you need more information?
        > Is the Kit not fulfulling your needs?
        > As far as I am concerned, this is a neat Kit. If you would let Rab
        know what you want in the kit, it could save you thousands in the end
        to buy stuff you don't need.
        > The way I see it, Rab is making the Kit work for what he needs.
        What do you need?

        > Come on, let's see some things made with the Kit. You are on the
        ground floor with this beta.

        > What do you want?
        >

        > Chris Klindt
        > http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/
        >
        > Get away from your computer and go...
        > Play some POOL!!!!

      • Chris Klindt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7 6:21 AM
          Hi Jerry,
          That sounds like a good idea.
          I will try and put together some pictures, screen shots, g-code and whatever else so that you can produce an inlay.
          Hum, how about a little wall plaque with your name inlayed and some 3-D relief carvings. That sounds like fun!
          The one thing that is hard is to develope is the toolpath setover contours for the pocket. Rab suggested a drawing application called Xara from http://www.xara.com I export the drawing out as an Adobe Illustrator (.AI) file, import into Xara, contour the pocket which leaves little stepover lines. The Xara file is exported as .AI and imported back into your MAX application.
          I will see what I can do. I can see right now that the e-mail wire to Rab is going to get busy :o).

          Take Care,
          Chris
          ozzie34231 <ozzie@...> wrote:
[...]

          From my perspective it might be neat to make machine dial that is

          wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > What are you trying to do with the CNC_Toolkit?
          > Are you trying to learn the Kit?
          > Do you need more information?
          > Is the Kit not fulfulling your needs?
          > As far as I am concerned, this is a neat Kit. If you would let Rab
          know what you want in the kit, it could save you thousands in the end
          to buy stuff you don't need.
          > The way I see it, Rab is making the Kit work for what he needs.
          What do you need?

          > Come on, let's see some things made with the Kit. You are on the
          ground floor with this beta.

          > What do you want?
          >

          > Chris Klindt
          > http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/
          >
          > Get away from your computer and go...
          > Play some POOL!!!!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8 3:22 PM
            Hi Jerry,

            by all means ask questions that may seem pretty basic,
            I've been using 3DS MAX since the first release and been developing
            the CNC Toolkit for over 3 years so I tend to take a lot of things
            for granted and find it hard to put myself in the shoes of someone
            new to it all.
            I need to work on the documentation and some tutorials, so if anyone
            says 'I got stuck here...' then that'll be where I ought to start.

            Anyway, I cut some vinyl over the weekend for a 4x4 wheel cover using
            the new vinyl cutting function (there's a fix in the next release)
            and a cutter/plotter swivel knife on an mdf vacuum table. Worked just
            as well as our small commercial cutter/plotter. If anyone's
            interested, I'll post more info.

            Also found that my router can easily cut through 5/8" aluminium plate
            using a helix toolpath. Likewise, I can post more on this.

            Regards,

            Rab

            --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "ozzie34231" <ozzie@c...> wrote:
            > Hi Chris,
            > I aquired the toolkit a few months ago and downloaded a copy of
            Gmax.
            > The combination seems awesome in capability, but also in steepness
            of
            > the learning curve. After a few weeks I just gave up. If I'd had a
            > specific use for it I'm sure I'd have persisted. I still find it
            > fascinating and joined this group to see what I could learn.
            >
            > I've been to your website and find what you're doing to be just as
            > awesome. You are inlaying on an object that is not only round, but
            > also tapered.
            >
            > My guess is that the members of this group break into two parts,
            > those that already know what they're doing with the program and are
            > using it, and those of us who are too clueless to ask intelligent
            > questions.
            >
            > I'd like to see you decribe how you do, what you do, in detail with
            > pictures and drawings. Since this part of the forum doesn't allow
            > pictures or drawings, it would have to be posted in the files
            section
            > like the Mach2 manual. What I'm asking is a lot of work and would
            > need to cover how you draw what you want, and then how you use the
            > toolkit to generate the code.
            >
            > What may seem simple to you, seems like brain surgery to me.
            > Are the tiny walls of the cutout for the inlays radial, or straight
            > up and down like a keyway. Making the cutout seems mind bogling
            > enough, but what about the inlay itself. How is that cut, how do
            you
            > hold it, how is that code generated?
            >
            > I understand that what I'm asking is perhaps beyond the scope of
            the
            > forum.
            >
            > From my perspective it might be neat to make machine dial that is
            > tapered and inlayed, but without a lot of help it's outta sight.
            >
            > I hope we get more input to this forum because I think what Rab has
            > created is really fantastic.
            >
            > Jerry
          • James Stevens
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9 8:24 AM
              Rab,

              Definitely an interest in a vinyl cutting function. I would also be interested in the type of knife you've successfully used (a home built one or a commercial one) and any other details about your setup.

              To take full advantage of your toolkit, I think the full 5 axes are necessary. I saw a video of your setup and it absolutely stimulated me. I thought I saw that the 5th axis was a satellite dish motor with mount from All Electronics? I currently have the Taig CNC version and would love to add the extra 2 axes!

              Thanks for your great work on this and any other details you can provide.

              James

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9 3:25 PM
                James,

                For the vinyl I used a standard blade holder similar to the ones on
                this page (I've never dealt with them, but it was the first page with
                decent photos that came up on a quick google search and it looks like
                you could get a holder for about $50);
                http://www.enduragloss.com/Merchant/Cutters/blades_holders.htm
                this was held in an offcut of aluminium angle mounted along with a
                little bit of weight on a small free floating linear bearing where
                the router normaly sits on the Z-axis. The blade protrudes a tiny
                amount from the holder which rests on the vinyl with just enough
                weight to make it cut. I'll take some photos next time I have it set
                up.

                For your Taig I'd probably suggest the Sherline CNC-ready rotary
                tables, as they're better than the satellite positioners, although
                heavier and a lot more expensive.

                Rab

                --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "James Stevens" <jstevens@c...>
                wrote:
                > Rab,
                >
                > Definitely an interest in a vinyl cutting function. I would also
                be interested in the type of knife you've successfully used (a home
                built one or a commercial one) and any other details about your setup.

                > To take full advantage of your toolkit, I think the full 5 axes are
                necessary. I saw a video of your setup and it absolutely stimulated
                me. I thought I saw that the 5th axis was a satellite dish motor
                with mount from All Electronics? I currently have the Taig CNC
                version and would love to add the extra 2 axes!

                > Thanks for your great work on this and any other details you can
                provide.

                > James
              • James Stevens
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11 7:46 AM
                  Rab,

                  Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be checking out the holders and
                  cutters when you make the mods to your g-code engine.

                  So are you suggesting the Sherline for both the 4th and 5th axis? I can
                  certainly understand the 4th axis as it would be mounted on the bed and thus
                  the weight and rigidity wouldn't be an issue. It appears from your website
                  that you are using the Sherline for both. Since I have the same Taig, if
                  it's not an issue for you I would deduce that it shouldn't be an issue for
                  me.

                  Boy, this is quite exciting. Thanks for your help.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 11 8:03 AM
                    Hi James,

                    I made a rotary unit for my A-axis using a spare Taig headstock,
                    Tony Jeffree has a good page on this type of assembly at;
                    http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/divheadmk2.html
                    but I'd probably use two Sherline units if making up another mill for
                    sake of convenience.

                    I had expected to require a counterweight or spring assembly on the Z-
                    Axis to cope with the extra weight of the B-axis rotary table, but it
                    so far hasn't been necessary.

                    The mechanics of converting a Taig or similar mill to 5-axis is
                    really pretty straight forward and not all that expensive.