Re: Machine configuration for Trunion type machine

  • billwainwright352
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2013
      Yes A and C axes rotate the workpiece. When you ask have you run all of the versions are you referring to the menu choices for machine configurations? For my test I made a hemisphere and projected some concentric circles down onto it, I chose the xyzac configuration and generated the gcoge for it. If the xyzac configuration was configured for a table table style setup what I would expect to see happen is the hemisphere tip to the side on the A axis and then the C axis cut the circular path, the Y and Z axis would have to move to compensate for A axis movements, but there should be no reason for the X axis to move. What I saw was both X and Y axis moving. If the cnctoolkit script needs to be edited to make it work for a table table style setup I think I may need some help understanding where in the script I need to hake changes.

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mike@...> wrote:

      > Are you talking about where both A and C axes rotate the workpiece? I know there's an xyzac where the A rotates the workpiece. You may have to go into the code, save-as another file version & change it so the C rotates the toolpath like the A. But have you run all of the versions to check, because there may be one already. Just run it in Gmax, create a simple toolpath (5 axis) & run the animation to see if it rotates the workpiece.
      > Cheers!
      > -Calvino
      >
      > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, dmauch@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I too am in need of a trunion Based XYZAC configuration. Any chance Rab or someone else is working on that?
      > > Dan mauch
      > >
      > > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wainwright <billwainwright352@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > >  Has anyone got cnctoolkit to work in a xyzac configuration using a trunnion with a rotary table mounted to it?
      > > >
      > > > I tried for hours and could not get gcode that worked with the kinematics of my 4th and 5th axis. It is my
      > > >
      > > > understanding that you only need to worry about the ABC offsets if you are using a head head type machine,
      > > >
      > > > is this correct?.It seems like you would still have to account for the distance from axis center of the B or A rotary
      > > >
      > > > axis to the table top of your C axis. I looked at the manual, especially chapter 7, but could not make sense of
      > > > how to use the offsets and the zero point.

    • danmauch
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 21, 2013
        Here is a video on my set using software generated by a friend but it is high priced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF67CGlEVK4
        If you fast forward to about 2 minutes you can ship the part about my controls.
        My machine operates like Bill's post describes the motion and the need for a trunion script.

        Dan

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013

          Here is a better trunnion video of my 5 axis setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0zMushHRc

          The narrative was directed to a friend that wrote the code but he did not use the cnc_tool_kit. The problem with the tool kit is that the plugin was written for a heaqd mounted 4/5th axis and wouldn't work with a trunnion type system as in the video. Here is hoping someone would be willing to modify the plugin for use with a trunnion.

          Dan Mauch

          www.camtronics-cnc

          dmauch@...

        • Terry Wellman
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013
            Dan,

            That's very cool! I may have missed it in the audio or somewhere else but did you make the trunnion table or was it a purchased item? If made, will you have plans available?

            Happy Holidays,
            Terry Wellman

            On Dec 24, 2013, at 12:20 PM, dmauch@... wrote:

            Here is a better trunnion video of my 5 axis setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0zMushHRc

            The narrative was directed to a friend that wrote the code but he did not use the cnc_tool_kit. The problem with the tool kit is that the plugin was written for a heaqd mounted 4/5th axis and wouldn't work with a trunnion type system as in the video. Here is hoping someone would be willing to modify the plugin for use with a trunnion.

            Dan Mauch

            www.camtronics-cnc

            dmauch@...

          • vmax549
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2013

              Dan I think I see in the script where you can setup and define the 4th and 5th axis as to what type you have . Not sure yet of his definitions but working on it.

              It would be easier for the original programmer as HE understands what it is that is required to make it work.

              Just a thought, (;-) TP

            • danmauch
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 25, 2013

                Yes Rab  could probably fix in it 5 minutes but I don't think he visits this forum very much. Thanks for taking an interest in this.

                I'm sure a lot of people will move to this type 4/5th axis.

                Dan

              • danmauch
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 25, 2013

                   I bought it off of EBAY . They have two types the one in my video is the better one. The taller one has practically no torque when machining wood at a diameter of 1.5"

                  Dan Mauch

                • Terry Wellman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 25, 2013
                    Do you recall the seller's name? Is he manufacturing these on a regular basis?

                    Merry Christmas,
                    Terry Wellman

                    On Dec 25, 2013, at 10:59 AM, <dmauch@...> wrote:

                     I bought it off of EBAY . They have two types the one in my video is the better one. The taller one has practically no torque when machining wood at a diameter of 1.5"

                    Dan Mauch

                  • macalvino
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2013
                      I'm pretty sure one of the old versions of the script had the XYZA or XYZAC working this way, I remember seeing it in the animated preview, but cannot remember which version it was.  Are the older versions of the script still on the site?  check them.  Cheers!

                      --Calvino