ToolKit in Grasshopper/Rhino

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
      I posted a GH file:
      GenericToolpathGenerationPlusProjection.gh

      with Yves's latest generic toolpath defintion & added some vector calcs, the header, closer, & combined into G-code.

      There is also a Rhino File called:
      03-103RibBlocksCncCut.3dm

      that has referenced geometry & will generate toolpath lines & show head/head vectors machine head/head xyz location points.

      Also, issue if I use a Brep (3d solid) as my model to carve, then it tries to project the lines to all surfaces at once. So I just decomposed the solid & have to select each surface - I'll have to figure out something where it'll only project onto first surface in a given direction (vector).

      Also, I could not get the file writer to work for some reason. Maybe something simple.
      Cheers!
      --Mike.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
        I know it's just you & I at the moment Yves, but just in case someone else wants to jump in . . .
        Have to get some sleep, I'll feel better after.

        We could drop some of this thread into the Grasshopper forum, what do you think? Maybe we need to get some more of the ToolKit components completed first? The key is to use the ToolKit as the outline for the methods & components we need in the GH def. We could probably get some help there animating the tool.

        I'm thinking that this is a work in progress at this point & we can clean it up & make it more clear & easy to use once we get it working better.

        I'll have to test that g-code & cut air with my machine to see if it works.

        Forge ahead!
        Cheers!

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mike@...> wrote:

        > I posted a GH file:
        > GenericToolpathGenerationPlusProjection.gh
        >
        > with Yves's latest generic toolpath defintion & added some vector calcs, the header, closer, & combined into G-code.
        >
        > There is also a Rhino File called:
        > 03-103RibBlocksCncCut.3dm
        >
        > that has referenced geometry & will generate toolpath lines & show head/head vectors machine head/head xyz location points.
        >
        > Also, issue if I use a Brep (3d solid) as my model to carve, then it tries to project the lines to all surfaces at once. So I just decomposed the solid & have to select each surface - I'll have to figure out something where it'll only project onto first surface in a given direction (vector).
        >
        > Also, I could not get the file writer to work for some reason. Maybe something simple.
        > Cheers!
        > --Mike.

      • Yves Gauvreau
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2013
          Michael,

          I have tried in GH to project the generic toolpath on some relatively
          complex geometry and at first look if the toolpath is pretty dense, it takes
          forever (not really good) and it's not even subdivide yet. I haven't look at
          your GH file yet (but I will) and I'm not sure at all if doing projection a
          la CNC Toolkit is the way to go because Rhino and GMax are pretty different
          beast. Say we use those generic toolpath any way, ounce projected, we'll
          have to figure out a mean to clean out the unwanted vertex as we have to do
          with the kit, Hum!

          I've been looking at the kit to see how he did it and I was happy to see the
          method I used is pretty much equivalent to what I did, that is, first rotate
          an axis by +- 90 degrees. Another thing I tried is to use a large number of
          normal lines and GH seems to handle this quite easily. This suggest to me we
          will need a more efficient mean to generate those normal lines then starting
          from generic toolpath and projecting it on a part. Also, we will have to
          figure out a mean to create a multi pass toolpath otherwise, all of this
          work won't of much use in practice.

          Before I go on, I'll a look at your work.

          Thanks,

          Yves

          PS. As for posting this on GH forum, I would wait a little more, just like
          you said.

          --- In <mailto:CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com> CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com,