Re: Tool path for 5 axis plasma

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi Mark,

      I sure would like to come up to Chicago to see your machine. Unfortunately I live in south Alabama near Florida. It will be very difficult to take time off to make that long trip. Yes I do think we do have some things in common. I am an engineer and design metal buildings which includes all structural columns and rafters, and secondary members (panels, girts, purlins). I have been designing metal building for about 6 years now. Before that I designed precast buildings for about 10 years.

      You must do some kind of manufacturing if you are using a cnc plasma cutter. I am wondering your relationship between detailing and operating a plasma machine???

      So you probably come from the AutoCAD side of the world like me. I am great at using AutoCAD and it is very frustrating learning GMAX. It is amazing that the same company, Autodesk, wrote both softwares. GMAX does remind me of the old AutoCAD 2000 in that it crashes often and unexpectantly. You have to save and save often!!!!

      Maybe you can teach me about plasma cutting and learning GMAX/cnc_toolkit. I have read Danny's Tutorial a couple of times and did my best to work through his examples. Some of them I just could not get through and had to skip to the next example. Now I am reading this entire forum from the first message to the last. I am now up to message 300. I have learned a few things and I am sure I will be a lot more knowledgeable after I read all of the messages. Maybe I will quit asking stupid questions.

      It greatly saddens me though as I am reading old post because there use to be a lot of involvement with this forum in the old days. I can tell those guys were fired up about cnc_toolkit and really helped each other learn. They shared so many more files and info to understand toolkit. I would say about 50% of the links are dead now when you click on them. I think there is still enough info in the old post that I should be able to get up and running with toolkit. Legends like Danny and Graham stopped posting. Graham's two videos are outdated and no new instructional videos have been made (maybe there are more videos but I cannot find them). I believe I have figured how to reproduce Grahams work by reading Danny's Tutorial. I have offered to make new videos for newbies wanting to learn toolkit but no interest was shown.... :-(

      What is interesting to me is Rab cast his jewelry in molds. Who would ever thought you make jewelry with molds (it does make sense). This is very similar to what I want to do. Except I want pour concrete into molds. My goal is to make intricate concrete molds for fire place mantels and counter tops. I want to make the 'positive mold' from wood or plaster (this is the throw away piece) and then make a negative mold with rubber using the 'positive mold'. Then I will use the rubber mold to pour the concrete into to produce very complex shapes.

      Anyway please lets stay in touch and help me learn. I look forward to meeting other members on this forum and will be asking questions as I go. I don't think the response will be as good as in the old days but I am going to give it my best effort. Hopefully soon I can give some answers to help others with this awesome toolkit program. It is very interesting what others have used toolkit for.

      Thanks

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote:

      > Matt,
      > I'm assuming you detail precast for buildings. I'm a steel detailer mostly
      > doing BIM now. We have lots in common. I'm having a new plasma built for us
      > with a drill on it so the esab won't be available until the new one is
      > installed toward Fall or winter. We're using it currently so any time you
      > want to see it, let me know. We are north of Chicago 40 miles.
      >
      > Mark
      > On Apr 17, 2013 10:37 PM, "Matt" <precastguy@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hey Mark,
      > > Yes I am very interested in your old plasma cutter. I got a foam cutter if
      > > you like. Drop me an email if you are interested. Thanks for asking!
      > > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, mark hubrich <meistro57@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey Matt, you want to buy my old plasma? It's a Esab Sabre 3000. The
      > > > cutting bed is I think 16x24. It would be the perfect CNC project. You
      > > need
      > > > a 460v source though. If I don't get rid of it, I'll probably end up
      > > making
      > > > a large foam cutter or something.

      > > how
      > > torch
      > > a cnc
      > > you
      > > because I
      > > gmax
      > > see

      > > forum can
      > > out
      > > learning

      > > Project
      > > both
      > > thoughts
      > > surface,
      > > the

      > > info.

      > > that
      > > you
      > > beveled
      > > so
      > > have
      > > times

      > > has

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
        Hi Matt,
        I'm just finishing up my 5 axis plasma router & am planning on using my 5 axis & the toolkit for things just like what you're talking about. I'm an architect/builder and started out building what I design because nobody else wanted to build what I designed. you can see my work here: www.calvinodesign.com. So, made my first 3 axis machine about 4 1/2 years ago & have done some pretty fun & interesting things with it. Did a big 5 axis machine for Univ. Arkansas' Digital Fab Lab in 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDiVESUeNU&uid=cOn4dlC3OWUPcabYBjcTbw&lr=1), & now have just about finished my 5 axis machine.

        This is what prompted this question is this collaboration project with a professor of mine from UF Gainesville that I'm working on now:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29svcFibhOI&list=UUcOn4dlC3OWUPcabYBjcTbw&index=1

        I have found that you can in fact use one surface to generate toolpath & the other to define the normals for the angle of the A/C head. ON this project, I think I may have a couple of bad surfaces & so it will not generate the path right. What needs to happen with this in 5 axis is to generate the toolpath along the detailed surface, but get the normals from the "blanket" - simplified surface.

        The other thing that I have trouble with is that with 4.30L, the post processor for XYZAC will not generate any negative values for the A axis & so the C has to flip around 180deg in some instances, where if it would just generate a -A value, it would not have to flip around in the middle of the toolpath.

        I have modified the script a little to work with my machine & get an option for just changing the length of the bit from the collet & a couple other things, but I think I really need to understand Quaterninons and a little more of spatial angle calculations to give more options about how it generates angles for paths.

        What I do is to make my models and drawings in Rhino (I used to use AutoCad for everything - 3d & 2d - but Rhino is much better at modeling & manipulating.

        Not sure where we go from here, but maybe we can generate enough activity to get some more interest going with the CNCtoolkit. I think it's an amazing plug-in that Rab & Danny have made here, So Thanks a ton Rab & Danny for your efforts, & I hope we can continue.

        Cheers all!
        -Mike Calvino

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
          If that link for the current project video is not working, it's here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qwu1oUVJYo&feature=youtu.be
          also can be found at http://www.youtube.com/calvinoarchitect.

          For plasma, I'm working on using the two surfaces again to cut beveled edges, there is a "Tangent Mode" option in the toolkit under "Angle Control" that will be key here.

          Cheers!

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
            Wow Mike, brother you are blowing my mind!!!

            Sorry I cannot get to post till after I get home from work and wind down a bit after eaten supper.

            I seen your videos. I wish I had words to describe my feelings. You are now in your process where I want to be.

            First thoughts are you have a power machine to cut styrofoam but.....My dream has to been make very complex decorative concrete pieces. (I don't want to get technical and maybe I should talk to you in email). I worked about 10 years designing Architectural Concrete and some structural concrete. You being an architect you probably know what I am talking about with Architectural Concrete. This is the precast concrete that is used for cladding on all sorts of buildings.

            For about 6 years now or more I been wanting to make very complex concrete pieces. This concrete needs to be cast in rubber molds. You know for intricate molds you have to cast concrete in a flexible medium that will give when you strip the concrete out. I was very ignorant when I first started out and bought a cnc hot wire machine to cut styrofoam. Styrofoam works ok but not good enough for fine detail plus the cuts are linear (when cutting with my hot wire). As I can tell from your cuts, the finished foam is course after you machine it.

            Anyway to make a short story even longer, I decided I needed a cnc machine to cut my positive molds and after much research I figured I needed a 5-axis cnc machine. Being a poor person there is no way I could buy a machine to do what I wanted to do. So I ended up on this site by Rab and Danny's site as well. Unfortunately I was a little to late for this forum. This board used to be very active. I am not sure why the interest died down. I have been reading the post from the very beginning and now I am up to about the 1000th message. I am doing this so I can learn everything I can. If I could have gotten on the forum a few years back there would have been a lot more posters who happily answered questions and with lots of excitement.

            Please lets stay in touch. My knowledge is limited with CNC and is even more limited with artist type modeling. But I not giving up and will be a pro at it eventually. I have figured out how to make splines, project them on an object and create a tool path with Gmax/toolkit. I am now going back to Danny's website "cnc4free" and read once again on generating 3D bas relief.

            Oh BTW....I was thinking exactly like you from what you sayed in your post. I am going to build my machine to be an XYZAC. I will cut the top 180 degree half and then rotate it around the Y-axis (B) and do the other 180 degree plane.