V-Carving Uneven Surfaces

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
      I've just written up a blog posting on a recent project carving a commemorative plaque for a local malt whisky bar using an old and uneven lid from a whisky cask. Normally I'd just machine flatten the surface and v-carve it, however that would have spoiled the aged look and feel of the wood. The level of height difference here would have meant some letters being cut too deep and others not cut at all using the original v-cut toolpath.
      There's a description of this project and how to match a CNC toolpath to an uneven surface using some free, open-source plugin scripts I developed (CNC Toolkit and Wrapper) for 3DS MAX and GMAX.
      The method is equally useful for other 4 and 5-axis CNC machining projects.
      Hope you find it useful;
      http://cnc-toolkit.blogspot.com/

      Rab
    • Matt Bean
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2011
        That looks awesome! I did not know you could digitize with cnc toolkit. Got so much to learn. Thank very much for sharing this piece of art.

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "rainnea" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > I've just written up a blog posting on a recent project carving a commemorative plaque for a local malt whisky bar using an old and uneven lid from a whisky cask. Normally I'd just machine flatten the surface and v-carve it, however that would have spoiled the aged look and feel of the wood. The level of height difference here would have meant some letters being cut too deep and others not cut at all using the original v-cut toolpath.
        > There's a description of this project and how to match a CNC toolpath to an uneven surface using some free, open-source plugin scripts I developed (CNC Toolkit and Wrapper) for 3DS MAX and GMAX.
        > The method is equally useful for other 4 and 5-axis CNC machining projects.
        > Hope you find it useful;
        > http://cnc-toolkit.blogspot.com/
        >
        > Rab

      • Orbay Akgun
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2011
          Hi everybody,

          I have a project to make a 3 axis cnc machine with siemens controller unit. I wonder whether it is possible to give compansetion of mechanical irregularities of mechanics part by cnc controller and increase the accuracy of the machine.

          Thank you very much in advance

          Orbay