Re: [CNC_Toolkit] Gmax initialization

  • fly_boy_bc
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
      Thank you Dave and Danny,

      I actually found that same thread just a moment after I posted my question but thank you for the answers anyway. I have been having a great experience with fellow CNCer's being so helpful.

      Danny, you will be glad to know I have been fighting my way past my case of extreme newbeeism. I may feel comfortable telling people that I can program a 3D shape soon! When I can do that AND create an acceptable 3 and 4 axis toolpath for it I plan on writing up a one or two paragraph "intro for total noobs". I think this may be very helpful to other new CNCer's because I will have all of the concepts that gave me the most trouble FRESH in my mind. Gmax is NOT easy to learn!

      How different is AutoCAD? And what is the difference between AutoCAD,AutoDESK and Gmax? I understood Gmax to be a subset of AutoDESK?

      Once I can use Gmax can I say with any truthfulness that I can use AutoCAD? (Yes I know it will be very different but does it work on the same "concepts"?) Do I just have to learn a few differences or is the basic approach very different?

      I knew NOTHING about CAD/CAM/CNC and 3D modeling before I started. I have made enough progress that I feel comfortable saying "I know ALMOST nothing about CAD/CAM/CNC and 3D modeling now" but I can draw simple shapes and I am starting to get a handle on the jargon. I have been absorbing code by osmosis (not really study just observe and note) and it seems simple enough. I am just glad I have some machining experience or this would be TOO much all at once!

      Anyway thanks for the assistance and keep a candle burning as I seem to be slowly "moving in" to my workshop and the wife is starting to complain that I need a haircut and is asking where all her coffee cups have gone to. I may come up for air in the spring of 2011.

      Gary B in BC trying CNC

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "yohoodi" <yohoodi@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > When gmax tells you to start it with the -h switch what this means is fairly simple.
      >
      > 1. go to you windows start menu.
      >
      > 2. Find the 'Run' option
      >
      > 3. Enter c:\gmax\gmax.exe -h
      >
      > 4. Choose an alternative screen render option..
      >
      > The gmax -h startup option is NOT the same as the MSDOS or windows command line /h switch.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Danny
      >

      > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, dprice@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I am a first time responder so I apologize in advance if I am doing this
      > > wrong.
      > >
      > > Gary - I am no GMAX expert, but google gave me the following link that
      > > looks like it has a solution for you:
      > > http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/PostList/intThreadID/20593
      > >
      > > For more help try googling "GMAX Interactive 3D renderer initialization
      > > Failed."
      > >
      > > Hope this helps!
      > >
      > > -Dave P
      > > (in the midst of a home-build 3-axis machine while trying to learn
      > > something about CNC)
      > >
      > > > Hello, I have been trying to start Gmax but I keep getting the same error.
      > > >
      > > > "Interactive 3D renderer initialization Failed. Please check your device
      > > > settings by using the -H command line option. "
      > > >
      > > > wha? Command line? I am running windows 2k and the dos command line option
      > > > chagnges a files attributes from hidden to not hidden PERIOD it does NOT
      > > > tell you anything about device settings.
      > > >
      > > > What the heck is this error about??
      > > >
      > > > Gary B in BC with Taig 4 axis mill, Mach3 and CNC4free.org

    • fly_boy_bc
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
        Am I missing something or is the tutorial about generating Gcode from the "gunstock" sample so old that MANY of the directions given are just WRONG with the current releases of both Toolkit AND Gmax??

        It gives directions that I simply do not understand like

        "Adjust the Zero Point position
        Move the Zero Point up say 4""

        Don't know what that is or where to change it or why.

        "Choose Vector Calculations Method
        Choose `Use Reference Surface' and select the part if it's not already showing in the Reference Surface pick box."

        I can find no "reference surface pick box" or anywhere to Choose `Use Reference Surface'

        "Export Toolpath
        Select `4-Axis: XYZA' under `Export Options'"

        The only place I see to select XYZA is in the "machine type" section of toolkit. When I "config" for XYZA at this point in the tutorial it TRASHES the display. I can't seem to find a "export options" anyplace.

        I was able to generate a toolpath in XYZ mode but of course it was weird and wrong because the rest of the configuration was for 4 axis.

        I know I will get it eventually but right now I just want a drink!

        I was determined to get this "basic tutorial" under my belt and see if I could start generating code from my own drawings but I think the tutorial needs to be updated.

        Or am I blind and stupid as well as frustrated?

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
          That tutorial is pretty old and the Toolkit has changed quite a bit, however the principles are still the same so it should be useful.

          > "Adjust the Zero Point position
          > Move the Zero Point up say 4""
          > Don't know what that is or where to change it or why.
          - see the big red cross in the scene called ZeroPoint

          > I can find no "reference surface pick box" or anywhere to Choose `Use Reference Surface'
          - under 'Angle Control'

          > The only place I see to select XYZA is in the "machine type" section of toolkit. When I "config" for XYZA at this point in the tutorial it TRASHES the display. I can't seem to find a "export options" anyplace.
          - 'Config' replaced 'Machine Type' - it just sets up the scene and sets which post-processor to use.
          - sounds like you may have a problem with your video card, it's drivers or GMAX's display settings.

          hope that helps,