Re: Round pockets

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
      do you have pictures of the type of part you'd like to cut ?
      there's probably several approaches to this, if you can give more information on what you're making then you'll likely get more useful suggestions,
      Rab

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...> wrote:

      > I'm just trying to come up with a general purpose solution for certain types
      > of cuts. I will have need of a circular pocket with slanted sides, and one
      > with straight sides but concentric rippled rings on the bottom. I just
      > think it would be better in some cases to be able to make a lot of little
      > pie shaped cuts using a rotary table that is perpendicular to the Z-axis.
      > That's the C-axis, right? I hope to set up my work table with both an
      > A-axis and a C-axis. I doubt that I'll ever want to use both at once, but I
      > want to be able to generate gcode for either when I want to. Can
      > CNC_toolkit do that?
      > Perhaps the real question is: what kind of setup do I need to cut both the
      > inside and outside of the piece in the pictures in one operation? Or do I
      > need to cut the outside and then turn it over to cut the inside?
    • Mark Mickelsen
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        Here's a couple of views of a drawing of one thing I'd like to cut. It's
        approx. 1-1/2" in dia. and I want to make it out of polycarbonate.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
          When I say I would like to cut this in one operation, I mean I would like to
          be able to cut this in one setup on the machine. I don't know it it's
          possible or not, but it would be nice.

          On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Mark Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...>wrote:

          > Here's a couple of views of a drawing of one thing I'd like to cut. It's
          > approx. 1-1/2" in dia. and I want to make it out of polycarbonate.
          >

          > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:18 AM, rainnea <yahoo@...> wrote:
          >

          >> do you have pictures of the type of part you'd like to cut ?
          >> there's probably several approaches to this, if you can give more
          >> information on what you're making then you'll likely get more useful
          >> suggestions,
          >> Rab
          >>

          >> --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com <CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com>, Mark
          >> Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I'm just trying to come up with a general purpose solution for certain
          >> types
          >> > of cuts. I will have need of a circular pocket with slanted sides, and
          >> one
          >> > with straight sides but concentric rippled rings on the bottom. I just
          >> > think it would be better in some cases to be able to make a lot of
          >> little
          >> > pie shaped cuts using a rotary table that is perpendicular to the
          >> Z-axis.
          >> > That's the C-axis, right? I hope to set up my work table with both an
          >> > A-axis and a C-axis. I doubt that I'll ever want to use both at once,
          >> but I
          >> > want to be able to generate gcode for either when I want to. Can
          >> > CNC_toolkit do that?
          >> > Perhaps the real question is: what kind of setup do I need to cut both
          >> the
          >> > inside and outside of the piece in the pictures in one operation? Or do
          >> > need to cut the outside and then turn it over to cut the inside?

        • Haitham hamdy
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
            hi

            yes, thanks a lot

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
              no image is showing up on your message, could you provide a link,

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                Let me explain a little more what my problem is. I have both Cut2D and
                Cut3D. Cut2D will generate gcode to cut the round objects very nicely and
                accurately except it won't handle the slanted sides of the pockets. Cut3D
                will handle the slanted sides of the object but only with rasterized style
                parallel cuts. I believe that the CNC_toolkit will do both; handle the
                slanted sides of the object (or whatever its shape is) and do it with do it
                with cuts appropriate to the shape of the object (in this case, circular
                cuts around the object). But I don't know CNC_toolkit well enough to know
                for sure yet. I used to think I was relatively intelligent, but when it
                comes to the CNC_toolkit, I have a real road block to understanding the
                approach and learning it. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the capability is
                there, if I can just wrap my brain around it. Wish me luck and any help you
                can give will be greatly appreciated.
                Mark

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                  I don't have a website, so I don't know how to give you a link directly into
                  my computer. I'm attaching the images to this message again. Can you still
                  not see them?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Hi Mark,
                    You can create your own folder in the 'Photos' section of this Yahoo group and upload your files there.
                    I received the photos to my own email and the parts look pretty straightforward. Maybe the most straight forward method would be the use a trunnion table. Do you have a mill already or building one to make these ?
                    Rab

                    --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...> wrote:

                    > I don't have a website, so I don't know how to give you a link directly into
                    > my computer. I'm attaching the images to this message again. Can you still
                    > not see them?
                  • Mark Mickelsen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                      I already have a small mill, a Fireball MX-90. It runs very nicely, limited
                      only by my know-how and its size. I'm building a larger one at this time
                      and I'm leaving plenty of room to add extras such as an A-axis and a rotary
                      work table in the C-axis. It has a fixed bridge and a moving work table, as
                      John Hansford convinced me that this configuration is slightly more stable
                      than a moving bridge. I'll be posting pictures as thing progress.

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                        May also be worth thinking about lathing these parts ?
                        Rab

                        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Mark Mickelsen <msmickelsen@...> wrote:

                        > I already have a small mill, a Fireball MX-90. It runs very nicely, limited
                        > only by my know-how and its size. I'm building a larger one at this time
                        > and I'm leaving plenty of room to add extras such as an A-axis and a rotary
                        > work table in the C-axis. It has a fixed bridge and a moving work table, as
                        > John Hansford convinced me that this configuration is slightly more stable
                        > than a moving bridge. I'll be posting pictures as thing progress.
                        >
                        > Mark
                      • Mark Mickelsen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                          This is true. Unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, and for the amount of
                          "round work" that I do, I can't justify buying one. Besides, I'm sure that
                          if I can just learn how to use it correctly, the CNC_toolkit will do this
                          type of thing for me very nicely.