Happy New Year Everyone !

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
      Can we start it with a discussion on CNC ?

      We're snowed in and the water supply is off - my first project of the year is the retrofit of the CNC lathe so I can make some pipe couplers and adapters to bypass the burst water filters.
      Does anyone know if the threading problem in Mach has been fixed now ?

      Rab
      www.cnc-toolkit.com
    • gcode fi (hanermo)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
        Somewhat, yes and no.

        It depends on how much variation you get in spindle speed.
        If you have little variation, it should work fine.
        And the issues are different with SS, with servo spindles and with
        normal spindles (I now need to have both), and with the PP driver.

        And on whether you are using an SS (like me, Daniel and Hood).
        I think Steve B. is moving on to emc maybe..

        Conclusion;
        If you have a powerful spindle motor, it should work fine.
        Otherwise, so-so, afaik.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thanks for the info.
          The first parts will be cut in plastic so should be ok ?
          However, at least I now know to look out for issues if doing heavier cuts in stainless.
          Is the smooth stepper still under ongoing development ? Last I looked there still seemed to be some unresolved issues...
          Rab

          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "gcode fi (hanermo)" <yahoog@...> wrote:

          > Somewhat, yes and no.
          >
          > It depends on how much variation you get in spindle speed.
          > If you have little variation, it should work fine.
          > And the issues are different with SS, with servo spindles and with
          > normal spindles (I now need to have both), and with the PP driver.
          >
          > And on whether you are using an SS (like me, Daniel and Hood).
          > I think Steve B. is moving on to emc maybe..
          >
          > Conclusion;
          > If you have a powerful spindle motor, it should work fine.
          > Otherwise, so-so, afaik.

        • gcode fi (hanermo)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
            Greg is working on the SS plugin, and there has been progress.

            We may get (he said) a version with RunAsSpindle() in january.
            I have a development version of a lathe with 7 axis, and I must have
            runasspindle or swapaxis, or alternatively to go to multiple-interface
            solutions.
            This would mean a modbus controlled set of spindles, and only one
            servo-spindle.

            My lathe(s) will be commercial, I will be selling them, and they will be
            relatively expensive, in the 30k€ range for a 12x24.
            On the other hand, they can do work similar to a 500k horizontal turning
            center (only 1.5 Hp instead of 30 hp), so ...

            Essentially, for me the lathe is a dual-spindle machine, one opposite
            the other, able to make a propeller in one setting.
            Or a car wheel, including compound, convex and concave curves, with
            milled/drilled and tapped holes, not orthogonal with the lathe z-axis.
            The secondary spindle is in effect a live tool, against a servo-indexed
            main spindle.

            Low precision, at 30.000 counts/rev, but about 0.02 mm precision (worst
            case) on the edge of a 200 mm D workpiece.
            You should have no problems with plastic, or cutting threads at low
            impact/load rates, afaik.

            In my case, using a servo-spindle, I expect 0.00 mm measurable error, as
            the servos will fault at 128 * 1/3 or 0.0012 mm.
            Only happens where there are issues with the SS, all of which it has
            been possible to work around.

            I am using treadmill motors with hi-res 10.000 count encoders, at 3:1
            for 30.000 counts/rev.
            So I must use a SS, no way around.
            I am currently limited by the 100 kHz encoder rate of usdigital to 550 rpm.

            I may do a small 7x with the same functionality, to take to shows.
            Should generate some interest at shows ...
            Ready maybe feb/march.

            rainnea wrote:

            > Thanks for the info.
            > The first parts will be cut in plastic so should be ok ?
            > However, at least I now know to look out for issues if doing heavier
            > cuts in stainless.
            > Is the smooth stepper still under ongoing development ? Last I looked
            > there still seemed to be some unresolved issues...
            > Rab
            >
            > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com>, "gcode fi (hanermo)"
            > <yahoog@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Somewhat, yes and no.
            > >
            > > It depends on how much variation you get in spindle speed.
            > > If you have little variation, it should work fine.
            > > And the issues are different with SS, with servo spindles and with
            > > normal spindles (I now need to have both), and with the PP driver.
            > >
            > > And on whether you are using an SS (like me, Daniel and Hood).
            > > I think Steve B. is moving on to emc maybe..
            > >
            > > Conclusion;
            > > If you have a powerful spindle motor, it should work fine.
            > > Otherwise, so-so, afaik.

          • diazden
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
              Im programming now a mori-seiki nl2500 with 2 spindles , 12 position
              turret (each side ) plus live tooling , 6 axis (x,z,y,b,c1,c2,)
              the tool changer is so fast that if you could clamp a part in the
              toolchanger , and a tool in the chuck , you could turn on it , the spindles
              and live tooling are direct driven (you can't hear it at 4000 rpm )
              what a machine.........
              mariano

              gcode fi (hanermo) wrote:
> [...]
              >> Is the smooth stepper still under ongoing development ? Last I looked
              >> there still seemed to be some unresolved issues...
              >> Rab
              >>
              >> --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com>, "gcode fi (hanermo)"
              >> <yahoog@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Somewhat, yes and no.
              >>>
              >>> It depends on how much variation you get in spindle speed.
              >>> If you have little variation, it should work fine.
              >>> And the issues are different with SS, with servo spindles and with
              >>> normal spindles (I now need to have both), and with the PP driver.
              >>>
              >>> And on whether you are using an SS (like me, Daniel and Hood).
              >>> I think Steve B. is moving on to emc maybe..
              >>>
              >>> Conclusion;
              >>> If you have a powerful spindle motor, it should work fine.
              >>> Otherwise, so-so, afaik.

              > Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.13900).

              No virus found in this outgoing message
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
                Sounds fun,
                Rab