Whats the difference between an Editable spline and a toolpath.???

  • Siwel Leinad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2009
      Hello Rab. All..

      Rab, I've been experimenting with spline displacement as a faster way of creating toolpaths from certain types of mesh detail... i.e if a bitmap will displace a mesh to make a given shape then the same process will deform a "toolkit" spline of the right specification into a shape corresponding to the mesh..

      great so far.. works well with little problem and is very fast in comparison to spline projection... however, I hit a bottleneck when it comes to converting the shaped spline into a toolpath. the shape to toolpath process duplicates the shape... which takes time. I think if I could nominate the existing shape as the toolpath instead, then all i'd need to do is post-process it...

      I've added rapid, plunge and retract segments to the deformed spline... adjusted material ID's to suit.. and applied the same materials as if the shape-to-toolpath process had performed these functions... I've checked to ensure the manually created version is identical in every respect to the "toolkit-generated" version of the same "path".. I can't get the toolkit to post-process the "built" version of the path.. so obviously I'm missing something. I get the "please select a toolpath" error message....

      I think if I can get this to work it will considerably speed up toolpath generation for displaced mesh forms in 3,4 and 5 axis work...

      any help would be appreciated..

      all the best

      Danny
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2009
        Hi Danny,

        That's a really good method of working,
        A direct spline to toolpath conversion function would be very useful for this and also for the likes of exporting toolpaths that have been imported for editing.
        It shouldn't be too hard to add.
        If you like, I can send the source code and give you a call to discuss the best way of implementing.

        all the best,
        Rab

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "Siwel Leinad" <yohoodi@...> wrote:

        > Hello Rab. All..
        >
        > Rab, I've been experimenting with spline displacement as a faster way of creating toolpaths from certain types of mesh detail... i.e if a bitmap will displace a mesh to make a given shape then the same process will deform a "toolkit" spline of the right specification into a shape corresponding to the mesh..
        >
        > great so far.. works well with little problem and is very fast in comparison to spline projection... however, I hit a bottleneck when it comes to converting the shaped spline into a toolpath. the shape to toolpath process duplicates the shape... which takes time. I think if I could nominate the existing shape as the toolpath instead, then all i'd need to do is post-process it...
        >
        > I've added rapid, plunge and retract segments to the deformed spline... adjusted material ID's to suit.. and applied the same materials as if the shape-to-toolpath process had performed these functions... I've checked to ensure the manually created version is identical in every respect to the "toolkit-generated" version of the same "path".. I can't get the toolkit to post-process the "built" version of the path.. so obviously I'm missing something. I get the "please select a toolpath" error message....
        >
        > I think if I can get this to work it will considerably speed up toolpath generation for displaced mesh forms in 3,4 and 5 axis work...
        >
        > any help would be appreciated..
        >
        > all the best
        >
        > Danny

      • Siwel Leinad
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2009
          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "rainnea" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          Hi Rab,

          Happy to say I've got the manual aspect of this sorted now... My mistake was to weld the feed and retract segments... so now I can just post-process the displaced spline directly....

          would be a great addition to the toolkit I think.. not sure my maxscripting skills would be up to it... would be more than happy to chat about it... I'll give you a ring over the next few days or so..

          Danny