Addknot error

  • middyeasy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
      Im playing around with importing gcode from cut3d into the cnctoolkit
      and i get the add knot error on import with all versions higher then
      3.18. I see in a group search this bug has been mentioned before. Did
      it ever get addressed ?
      Also any luck on the new version that supports the xyzbc out of the
      box?
      And would it be possible to see the preview animation for that step up?

      My 5 axis machine is about to done and its time to get really serious
      about generating some useable 5axis xyzbc code for testing.
      Thanks!
      Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hi Ken,

        The GCode input does indeed need fixed.
        I'll probably re-write it to handle Cut3D's standard GCode post
        processor export.
        Which post processor from Cut3D are you using ?

        I'm doing some coding just now on a high speed method of working with
        bitmap displaced planes having chatted with Danny about these.

        I'll work on the import and XYZBC testing asap.

        best regards,
        Rab

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "middyeasy" <middyeasy@...> wrote:

        > Im playing around with importing gcode from cut3d into the
        cnctoolkit
        > and i get the add knot error on import with all versions higher
        then
        > 3.18. I see in a group search this bug has been mentioned before.
        Did
        > it ever get addressed ?
        > Also any luck on the new version that supports the xyzbc out of the
        > box?
        > And would it be possible to see the preview animation for that step
        up?

        > My 5 axis machine is about to done and its time to get really
        serious
        > about generating some useable 5axis xyzbc code for testing.
        > Thanks!
        > Ken

      • Ken McClain
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          Well cut3d has a ton of post processors as I sure you aware of. I've been using mach3 mm but I wasn't sure if perhaps the error with knots was with that ij mode. I tried a few others but had the same result. I was thinking that perhaps cut3d would make a nice toolpath that i could import into cnctoolkit and then edit and make a 5axis path out of it. You know just try and develop a quick easy toolpathing method. You should get with them and combine there ui and graphics sim engine and make a fool proof system for 5 axis coding. Ive also been experimenting with using earlier versions like 3.18 (?) that supports waterline splining then saving the resulting spline and then using the latest beta for its capabilities. The bitmaping sounds interesting. I really appreciate your hard work and I'll post my findings for an easier toolpathing I. Your board.

          Best Regards,
          Ken

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 7, 2008, at 7:52 AM, "rainnea" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          Hi Ken,

          The GCode input does indeed need fixed.
          I'll probably re-write it to handle Cut3D's standard GCode post
          processor export.
          Which post processor from Cut3D are you using ?

          I'm doing some coding just now on a high speed method of working with
          bitmap displaced planes having chatted with Danny about these.

          I'll work on the import and XYZBC testing asap.

          best regards,
          Rab

          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "middyeasy" <middyeasy@...> wrote:

          > Im playing around with importing gcode from cut3d into the
          cnctoolkit
          > and i get the add knot error on import with all versions higher
          then
          > 3.18. I see in a group search this bug has been mentioned before.
          Did
          > it ever get addressed ?
          > Also any luck on the new version that supports the xyzbc out of the
          > box?
          > And would it be possible to see the preview animation for that step
          up?

          > My 5 axis machine is about to done and its time to get really
          serious
          > about generating some useable 5axis xyzbc code for testing.
          > Thanks!
          > Ken

        • Siwel Leinad
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2008
            Hi Rab, Everyone,

            Import of Cut3D or CamBam Toolpaths into 3DSMAX/gmax using the toolkit
            is NOT difficult...

            just need to stick to some fairly simple procedures.

            ALWAYS Use CNC_Toolkit 4.03 beta.. not 3.xx or anything other than 4.03

            Vectric Apps.. use the MACH3 ATC MM Post processor... NOT curves or
            arcs just bog standard point to point gcode. Keep the file content to
            a single type of toolpath.. i.e the finishing path.. not all the paths
            in one file. All have this processor.. and code imports from them
            all.. no problem..

            CamBam... have to check the output from CAMBAM a bit.. I've posted
            details of this at the CamBam forum....

            CNC_toolkit imports the output of the Inkscape Gcode plugin No problemo...

            General Notes:
            ==============

            It can take a bit of time to pull the code in.. depends on the
            complexity of the toolpath.. suggest starting with something simple of
            fairly large stepover value until you see how a successful result works..

            Can be a good idea to have "Task Manager" open to the "Performance"
            tab.. so you can see that the CPU is still active.. this is generally
            a good way to monitor CNC_Toolkit activity.

            Overly complex toolpaths are probably the cause of MOST problems...
            can seem like MAX/gmax has locked up.. but will usually just be a case
            of heavy processing.. That's why task manager is a good monitor of
            progress ... you can see the dynamic nature of the CPU usage..
            indicating the activity in the MAX/gmax session...

            Hope this helps....

            Danny..

            P.S. Rab.. should be sending you some snail mail early next week...