Re: [CNC_Toolkit] Re: Need help wiring Univelop 5axis controller - steppers

  • hannu
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      36 V is quite good, depending completely on your steppers.
      The best compromise depends on the inductance and nominal voltage of
      your steppers - you should run about 20x nominal voltage, i.e. if you
      have 1.9 v steppers then 20x that is 38 v and then 36 is a great choice.
      You should not run more than max 25 x nominal voltage.

      So, to pick motors, look for low voltage and as much current as your
      drives and budget allow.
      In this case, 2.5 amp motors driven at 36 volts - you would want to use
      motors that are under rated 2.5 amps at 2.5 V nominal, better if less.
      The difference between 36 V and 56 on modern, qood, square-bodies
      motors will be around 2-300 rpm;
      at 36 v you might get 1000 rpm max speed
      at 56 v you might get 1200 rpm.

      These types and levels of motors, in nema 34 size for a router, will be
      around 50-100$ each, at around 2-3 Nm in torque.

      Reliability depends on your acceleration profile only (and shielding).
      As long as you don´t overload you motor leading to lost steps, they will
      be fine.
      All new, modern steppers will run for a very long time, when correctly
      used, and are extremely reliable. Don´t buy old-style round-bodied used
      motors !

      Colin Doughty wrote:

      > Hi Rab,
      >
      > Do you think 36 volts DC to run the stepper motors is good enough for
      > acceptable and reliable performance? I am using 56 volts DC and I am
      > getting great performance with high rapids.
      >
      > Colin
      >
      > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com>, "rainnea" <yahoo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Rick,
      > >
      > > I have one of the same controllers on order so should be able to
      > help
      > > you when it arrives.
      > >
      > > In the meantime, see;
      > > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45721
      > <http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45721>
      > >
      > > Rab
      > >

      > > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:CNC_Toolkit%40yahoogroups.com>, "el.rieger" <elrieger@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I recently purchased a Univelop Comp. Tech. LLC 5axis controller
      > > and
      > > > driver kit on ebay and they have no website and the manual is
      > very
      > > > basic
      > > > (no wiring diagrams)
      > > >
      > > > specs i got:
      > > >
      > > > max 2.5AMP@36VDC max 90 watts out power per axis
      > > > Full adjustable stepper motor current.
      > > > 1KV, 10 Mbps high speed Optocoupler for full elimination to
      > protect
      > > > Computer and driver board. Step Current(r) Technology included:
      > > Step
      > > > Current technology is used to decrease the current upto 1/2, when
      > > > motors are in idle
      > > >
      > > > Power supply connection instructions i got:
      > > >
      > > > Connect suitable power supply at input outlet on front of
      > controller
      > > > +7v and Gnd is connected with power supply with >+7v and 1amp
      > > > +12v and Gnd is connected with power supply with >+12v and 1-6amp
      > > > 12-36vDC @ 2-6amp switching power supply recommended
      > > >
      > > > I am unsure how to set this up because i have both +7v and +12v
      > > > connection points on the driver boards
      > > >
      > > > I am planning on running 5 stepper motors with this system and i
      > > > would like to know the maximum motor voltage and amps i could run
      > > > with this system?
      > > > What motors should i buy?
      > > >
      > > > And also how the power supply needs to be wired?
      > > > What power supply should i buy?
      > > >
      > > > I could really use some help!
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Rick

    • el.rieger
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        Awesome!
        I could really use some help considering this is my first attempt at
        electronics (i have designed pneumatic machines in the past).
        I saw the pics of your DIY 5axis machines and i was hooked!
        So maybe you could post some pics or diagrams of the wiring once you
        get yours worked out?
        Also i would like all the specs for your 5axis head, did you make all
        the components? if not where can i find them?
        Thanks!
        rick

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
          My controller has just arrived although it could be a week or so
          before I find time for testing.

          The manual may not be very good but a quick look at the board shows:

          The +7V input is the 'control' supply which is then regulated on
          board (L7805CV chip) to 5V so you don't have to worry about getting a
          7V supply as I reakon that it should handle an unregulated input of
          anything from 7V upto 12V ok (the chip can handle more but might then
          need heatsinking?)

          The 12V input goes to the driver chip (TA8435H,see http://www.toshiba-
          components.com/applications/homeappliances/asspmotorcont/Data/TA8435H.
          pdf ) and may claim upto 36V but I note that the capacitors on this
          side are only rated to 35V so I'd probably use a 24V unregulated
          supply or a max of 32V if regulated.

          The 2.5A current is peak rating (1.5A average)

          Overall, I'd say the kit is very good value and should drive most any
          size 23 steppers and smaller 34's quite happily but hopefully some of
          the other members will jump in with some comments.

          I'll let you know how they run on one of my systems.

          Rab

          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "el.rieger" <elrieger@...> wrote:

          > I recently purchased a Univelop Comp. Tech. LLC 5axis controller
          and
          > driver kit on ebay and they have no website and the manual is very
          > basic
          > (no wiring diagrams)
          >
          > specs i got:
          >
          > max 2.5AMP@36VDC max 90 watts out power per axis
          > Full adjustable stepper motor current.
          > 1KV, 10 Mbps high speed Optocoupler for full elimination to protect
          > Computer and driver board. Step Current(r) Technology included:
          Step
          > Current technology is used to decrease the current upto 1/2, when
          > motors are in idle
          >
          > Power supply connection instructions i got:
          >
          > Connect suitable power supply at input outlet on front of controller
          > +7v and Gnd is connected with power supply with >+7v and 1amp
          > +12v and Gnd is connected with power supply with >+12v and 1-6amp
          > 12-36vDC @ 2-6amp switching power supply recommended
          >
          > I am unsure how to set this up because i have both +7v and +12v
          > connection points on the driver boards
          >
          > I am planning on running 5 stepper motors with this system and i
          > would like to know the maximum motor voltage and amps i could run
          > with this system?
          > What motors should i buy?
          >
          > And also how the power supply needs to be wired?
          > What power supply should i buy?
          >
          > I could really use some help!
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rick

        • el.rieger
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
            C00l!
            I could really use someone with experience to help me through this.
            I have decided to order 5 X Nema23 8 wire dual shaft stepper motors
            282 oz-in, wired bipolar(series) uses 2.1amps ,is this too much?
            Since you said it should be 1.5A average.
            Also someone else recommended i use 2 power supplies one for the
            motors and one for the controller logic, what do you recomend?
            And i noticed on the driver boards there are two power connection
            points one says 12v and one 7v, does this mean that i have to connect
            power to each of them (one for the logig and one for the steppers)?
            Please post some pics once you get yours wired?

          • el.rieger
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
              So i was just wondering if anyone can post or email me some pictures
              or diagrams of a wired 5axis univelop cnc controller?

              would like to see how all the driver boards and controller are
              correctly connected and powered?

              just want to get it right so i dont fry anything!