Re: Gun Stock/Turbine Blade Tutorials

  • guzakaka
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Jim,

      I followed the link and am impressed with the work you've done. I to
      have a Digital Tool machine and converted to Mach software with
      Geckos. I designed and had built a 4th axis but mine is limited to
      about 40" in length. Can you give some hints as to how you drive your
      4th axis and motor size?

      I am the guy who gave Rab the gunstock tutorial so you can see at the
      present I don't have a need for a larger 4th, but the day is coming.

      Have you considered making a laminate of composite, honeycomb,
      composite then carving and recovering with composite? Super light
      weight blade and strong.

      Mike

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "peters220" <peters220@...> wrote:

      > Hi Greg, My name is Jim Peters. I use "Bladecalc" by Andy Little. A
      > couple of years ago when I first started Rab and Andy were a great
      > help. Bladecalc generates a dxf drawing from inputs selected by the
      > user such as, blade diameter, TSR, target wind speed. This drawing
      is
      > then processed by CNCToolkit to create the toolpath. Here is a link
      > on another board to some pictures and a drawing.
      > http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/2/2/03059/10452 If you
      have
      > any specific questions I will be glad to try to answer them.
      > JP --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "gawnca" <gregaw@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Rab,
      > >
      > > Well, it generates a lot of numbers but I didn't see a file. How
      > > would you input these figures and get a finished drawing?
      > >
      > > Greg
      > >
      > > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "rainnea" <yahoo@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There's a program called BladeCalc that should generate the
      files
      > for
      > > > you.
      > > >
      > > > Rab

      > turbine

    • peters220
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Greg, If you are using Bladecalc from Warloc or Hugh's spread
        sheet I don't think that they will provide enough information for CNC
        work. Andy Little's site is down right now due to a high volume of
        email spam. If you are interested in buying Andy's Bladecalc I will
        try to contact him. Several years ago he charged me $30.00. Well
        worth it. He even modified it as per instructions from Rab and
        suggestions from me. If you have a cad program you can download the
        drawing from my files area here.
        http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/1803/finish100.dxf You
        can see how complicated it is.

      • peters220
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2007
          Hi Mike, Thanks for the tutorial. It helped me a lot. I use Geckos
          also. I am going to switch to Mach as soon as I am convinced that I
          can make a "production" blade. If you look at the pictures you can
          just see the belt and the top half of a 36 tooth sprocket. The motor
          below it has a 10 tooth sprocket. The motor is this
          http://clickautomation.com/PDF/items/MAE%20Express%20NEMA%2034%20Step%
          20Motors.pdf The 1" shaft goes through two pillow block bearings.
          Yes I have considered what you have suggested. I am working with wood
          until I am sure that I can produce a "production" blade. It took 15
          tries before I was able to make a usable blade. I have two done. One
          to go.
          JP --- In
          CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "guzakaka" <nonna01@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > I followed the link and am impressed with the work you've done. I
          > have a Digital Tool machine and converted to Mach software with
          > Geckos. I designed and had built a 4th axis but mine is limited to
          > about 40" in length. Can you give some hints as to how you drive
          your
          > 4th axis and motor size?
          >
          > I am the guy who gave Rab the gunstock tutorial so you can see at
          the
          > present I don't have a need for a larger 4th, but the day is coming.
          >
          > Have you considered making a laminate of composite, honeycomb,
          > composite then carving and recovering with composite? Super light
          > weight blade and strong.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "peters220" <peters220@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Greg, My name is Jim Peters. I use "Bladecalc" by Andy Little.
          > > couple of years ago when I first started Rab and Andy were a
          great
          > > help. Bladecalc generates a dxf drawing from inputs selected by
          the
          > > user such as, blade diameter, TSR, target wind speed. This
          drawing
          > is
          > > then processed by CNCToolkit to create the toolpath. Here is a
          link
          > > on another board to some pictures and a drawing.
          > > http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/2/2/03059/10452 If you
          > have
          > > any specific questions I will be glad to try to answer them.
          > > JP --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "gawnca" <gregaw@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks Rab,
          > > >
          > > > Well, it generates a lot of numbers but I didn't see a file.
          How
          > > > would you input these figures and get a finished drawing?
          > > >
          > > > Greg

          > files
          > > for

          > > turbine

        • gawnca
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2007
            Jim,

            I think if I knew what I was doing they may work but they are very
            bulky and no file is generated.

            Did Andy have a demo version or was it a buy it or not. Sounds
            interesting. I'm building a CNC machine like Rab's 5 axis machine
            only I hope to add in the 6th axis as a turn table or lathe.

            Greg