emails to Rab

  • Graham Stabler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 6:31 AM
      I'm sending emails from another email account to you, don't know if
      they are getting through.

      Graham
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 6:52 AM
        Hi Graham,

        I was away for the weekend and just got home last night, the last
        email I got from you was on the ball reducers 'gearbox'.

        Here's the place that make those double ended spindles that I use on
        the 5-axis mill:
        http://www.eltesrl.com/inglese/tmpe0b.htm

        Regards,
        Rab

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stabler" <eexgs@...> wrote:

        > I'm sending emails from another email account to you, don't know if
        > they are getting through.
        >
        > Graham

      • Graham Stabler
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 8:27 AM
          that's OK, no rush in replying anyway, as long as you are getting them.

          Awesome spindle, did you buy it new?

          Graham

          Graham

          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "rainnea" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hi Graham,
          >
          > I was away for the weekend and just got home last night, the last
          > email I got from you was on the ball reducers 'gearbox'.
          >
          > Here's the place that make those double ended spindles that I use on
          > the 5-axis mill:
          > http://www.eltesrl.com/inglese/tmpe0b.htm
          >
          > Regards,
          > Rab
          >
          > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stabler" <eexgs@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm sending emails from another email account to you, don't know if
          > > they are getting through.
          > >
          > > Graham

        • Heidi Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 8:40 AM
            Rba [ or anyone] do you have a good link for smallish servo's that come w/ really tight gearheads [ 0 backlash] for building a 5 axis head? I've come across a couple, but I'm never sure about the backlash. It would also need an encoder and be able to put out several hundred oz of torque at the end of the gearhead. I noticed in some of your pic's that you are using a stepper? I'm wondering how thats working for you? Do you find your head is stiff enough? [does it deflect under heavy cuts] Where did you get your components ie really small gears and what not? I've check Boston gear but most of their stuff [ that I could find ] was either brass or to big..
            I want to mount a 3 hps VFD spindle into a 5 axis head and be able to cut at several hundred IPM, yet not have any head deflection, so this is going to take a fairly stiff design, and strong motor's to take the forces of the cut.

            Jarrett [designing my 4/5 Axis head..]

          • Heidi Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 8:53 AM
              Sorry about the spelling on your name in that previous message Rab. My fingers get going faster than my brain I think..

              Jarrett

            • ballendo
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2 5:40 PM
                Jarrett,

                IMO you should be looking for--surplus--harmonic drives. At the load
                and speed and HP you're discussing, most any other apporach is gonna
                be a disappointment.

                Ballendo

                --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Johnson <hjjohnson@...>
                wrote:

                > Rba [ or anyone] do you have a good link for smallish servo's that
                come w/ really tight gearheads [ 0 backlash] for building a 5 axis
                head? I've come across a couple, but I'm never sure about the
                backlash. It would also need an encoder and be able to put out
                several hundred oz of torque at the end of the gearhead. I noticed
                in some of your pic's that you are using a stepper? I'm wondering
                how thats working for you? Do you find your head is stiff enough?
                [does it deflect under heavy cuts] Where did you get your
                components ie really small gears and what not? I've check Boston
                gear but most of their stuff [ that I could find ] was either brass
                or to big..
                > I want to mount a 3 hps VFD spindle into a 5 axis head and be able
                to cut at several hundred IPM, yet not have any head deflection, so
                this is going to take a fairly stiff design, and strong motor's to
                take the forces of the cut.

                > Jarrett [designing my 4/5 Axis head..]

              • Jarrett & Heidi Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2 8:54 PM
                  Ballendo, can you expond on the harmonic drive? I've heard of them but know nothing about them. Any good websites to read up on them? Can they be driven by any typical step and direction servo or stepper driver?

                  Thanks

                  wrote:

                  > Rba [ or anyone] do you have a good link for smallish servo's that
                  come w/ really tight gearheads [ 0 backlash] for building a 5 axis
                  head? I've come across a couple, but I'm never sure about the
                  backlash. It would also need an encoder and be able to put out
                  several hundred oz of torque at the end of the gearhead. I noticed
                  in some of your pic's that you are using a stepper? I'm wondering
                  how thats working for you? Do you find your head is stiff enough?
                  [does it deflect under heavy cuts] Where did you get your
                  components ie really small gears and what not? I've check Boston
                  gear but most of their stuff [ that I could find ] was either brass
                  or to big..
                  > I want to mount a 3 hps VFD spindle into a 5 axis head and be able
                  to cut at several hundred IPM, yet not have any head deflection, so
                  this is going to take a fairly stiff design, and strong motor's to
                  take the forces of the cut.

                  > Jarrett [designing my 4/5 Axis head..]

                  Autodesk viz 3ds max

                • ballendo
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2 11:38 PM
                    Here's a decent resource:

                    http://www.harmonicdrive.net/

                    Ballendo

                    --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, Jarrett & Heidi Johnson
                    <hjjohnson@...> wrote:

                    > Ballendo, can you expond on the harmonic drive? I've heard of them
                    but know nothing about them. Any good websites to read up on them?
                    Can they be driven by any typical step and direction servo or
                    stepper driver?

                    > Thanks
                    > Jarrett!

                  • Graham Stabler
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3 1:28 AM
                      <hjjohnson@...> wrote:

                      Can they be driven by any typical step and direction servo or stepper
                      driver?

                      Yes they are a "gearbox" and don't care what makes there input turn.

                      Graham