Re: Sat rotary drive Nema23 motor mounting questions

  • hodarthestrange
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      That sounds kinda permanet. I would like to be able to change motors
      out to a larger one if needed or replace the motor if it goes bad
      without alot of trouble.
      Any other suggestions out there.

      Donny

      > Neither; it is heat-shrunk onto the adapter. Put the pinion in the
      > oven at 550 degrees, and it grows. Put it on the adapter, and it
      > shrinks. You only get one chance<G>
      >
      > >Does your motors have a flat on the shaft?
      >
      > Yes. The stepper end of the adapter is larger diameter and has a
      > setscrew to affix the pinion/adapter assembly to the stepper shaft.
      >
      > Ballendo

    • nattyone960
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@...> wrote:

        > Donny,
        >
        > Excellent questions. I made an adapter that fits over the end of
        the
        > stepper shaft and duplicates--and improves fit with--the existing
        > recess in the small gear. It's a precision machined part to be sure.
        > (and IMO needs to be to get the results these sat units are capable
        > of.) The motors themselves in my retrofit--size23--are sitting on
        > 1/4" thick plates which allows the gear mesh to be adjusted and
        each
        > motor to be fully supported and solidly locked down.
        >
        > I think a size 34 motor would present more problems than it solves.
        > If the torque of the unit with your motors is not enough; you'll
        > likely need to switch to a worm drive style unit.
        >
        > The sat unit retrofits and the worm drive units i've designed and
        > proofed are being readied for release in April. I'll post more on
        > that next week after the new site at www.cncresource.com is up and
        > running...
        >
        > Ballendo

        Good I will keep watching this.
        I will be trying to adapt a Sat Postioner to Rotary as well.
      • ballendo
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
          Hello,

          The Pinion is heatshrunk to the Adapter. The adapter is setscrewed
          to the motor. Hence, no problem with changing motors...

          Ballendo

          --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "hodarthestrange"
          <hodarthestrange@...> wrote:

          > That sounds kinda permanet. I would like to be able to change
          motors
          > out to a larger one if needed or replace the motor if it goes bad
          > without alot of trouble.
          > Any other suggestions out there.
          >
          > Donny
          >

          > > Neither; it is heat-shrunk onto the adapter. Put the pinion in
          the
          > > oven at 550 degrees, and it grows. Put it on the adapter, and it
          > > shrinks. You only get one chance<G>
          > >
          > > >Does your motors have a flat on the shaft?
          > >
          > > Yes. The stepper end of the adapter is larger diameter and has a
          > > setscrew to affix the pinion/adapter assembly to the stepper
          shaft.

          > > Ballendo

        • hodarthestrange
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
            Ahh. Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes i'm not the sharpest pencil
            in the box.

            Donny