Re: Table legs.

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Allan,

      You can make a roughing toolpath by using a positive figure in
      the 'Cut Depth' box.

      However, what I'd normally do is just create one toolpath for
      roughing and finishing.
      Zero the Z-axis as normal, then reset the zero on the Z-axis higher
      (make a note of how much by) so that the toolpath only takes a
      reasonable bite on the first pass, then lower the Z and re-zero for a
      2nd roughing pass, etc. then take the Z back to the original Zero
      height for the finishing pass. I find this quite a flexible method of
      working as it enables me to alter the cut depths without redong a
      toolpath. You can also use the G92 command to automate these passes.

      If you can post some photos or files then I can advise on the most
      efficient method of cutting

      Depending on the shape of the legs, would you be able to use the side
      of the cutter ?

      Rab

      --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "allan good" <allan@t...> wrote:
      > Hi Rab: I am a geriatric woodworker trying to use CNC ToolKit to
      produce
      > Cabriole table and chair legs. I can see that once I have a
      satisfactory
      > model it is fairly strightforward to produce a 4 axis tool path.
      The thing
      > that worries me is the depth of cut that the router will have to
      make in
      > some parts of the stock. I would normally expect to make a number
      of rough
      > cut passes followed by a final finish cut to achieve this.
      Would it be
      > necessary to make separate drawing for each cut and convert this to
      a tool
      > path or is there some alternative method lurking within CNC
      ToolKit.
      > Allan
    • allan good
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Thanks Rab. for the posting. I carried on playing with CNC ToolKit and
        decided that I could probably do roughing and finishing tool paths by
        projecting the helix down to various positions above the surface, convert
        each of these to a separate toolpath and then mill each toolpath. The
        method tou suggest looks easier. I think we are all looking forward to
        comprehensive documentation on CNC ToolKit but it is amazing what one can
        discover by continually trying things.
        Allan

        > You can make a roughing toolpath by using a positive figure in
        > the 'Cut Depth' box.
        >
        > However, what I'd normally do is just create one toolpath for
        > roughing and finishing.
        > Zero the Z-axis as normal, then reset the zero on the Z-axis higher
        > (make a note of how much by) so that the toolpath only takes a
        > reasonable bite on the first pass, then lower the Z and re-zero for a
        > 2nd roughing pass, etc. then take the Z back to the original Zero
        > height for the finishing pass. I find this quite a flexible method of
        > working as it enables me to alter the cut depths without redong a
        > toolpath. You can also use the G92 command to automate these passes.
        >
        > If you can post some photos or files then I can advise on the most
        > efficient method of cutting
        >
        > Depending on the shape of the legs, would you be able to use the side
        > of the cutter ?
        >
        > Rab
        >

        > --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "allan good" <allan@t...> wrote:
        > > Hi Rab: I am a geriatric woodworker trying to use CNC ToolKit to
        > produce
        > > Cabriole table and chair legs. I can see that once I have a
        > satisfactory
        > > model it is fairly strightforward to produce a 4 axis tool path.
        > The thing
        > > that worries me is the depth of cut that the router will have to
        > make in
        > > some parts of the stock. I would normally expect to make a number
        > of rough
        > > cut passes followed by a final finish cut to achieve this.
        > Would it be
        > > necessary to make separate drawing for each cut and convert this to
        > a tool
        > > path or is there some alternative method lurking within CNC
        > ToolKit.
        > > Allan

        > Hobbies and crafts Autodesk viz

        Service.