4th axis projection errors

  • d_masterton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
      I have been finding some small bugs/errors in cnctoolkit when I try to
      project a spline all the way around a cone/cylinder.
      It projects the spline perfectly but when it comes to process the cut
      file cnctoolkit makes rapid plane movemnets through the object rather
      than returning to a safe height.
      I have tried increasing the RP height but this makes no difference,
      also thought that the mesh might have some bad welds in it but this
      proved fruitless as well.
      The only way I have been able to get the file to work is by splitting
      the line into sections that are no more than 1/4 of the overall
      diameter.

      The second error I have been getting is in the HPGL file output, when
      reimported into our CAM software using an ISO generic 4TH axis
      processor it seems to flip the symetry of the cut file, it is
      relatively easy to fix but annoying none the less.

      Any thoughts on the above most welcome.
      Drummond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005
        Hi Drummond,

        This is the rapid moves between cuts ?
        The toolpath goes from the Tool Clearance height at the end of one
        cut to the Tool Clearance at the start of the next.
        If you're cutting on a round object going from the end of a cut on
        one side to the start of a cut on the opposite side of the object,
        the toolpath appears to go through the object. However because the Z
        is raised to Tool Clearance, the tool actually clears the work as the
        workpiece is rotated around the A-Axis.
        Send me a test file if you'd like me to take a look.

        What CAM software are you importing the HPGL into ? Would a button to
        flip the A-axis values +/- upon export fix it for you ?

        Rab

        --- In CNC_Toolkit@yahoogroups.com, "d_masterton" <drummond@f...>