Child Nutrition Reauthorization/Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307)

  • Christopher Waters
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2010
      Attn:  Rep. Barbara Lee

      Rep. Lee,

      This is my ragtag family team, pictured in the photo here:

      I know we can always trust you to make the decisions that matter most to us ... just letting you know how important this issue is to us, as with so many of your constituents here in Oakland!

      Thank you!

      Christopher Waters

      Unsubscribe - Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
      Community Food Security Coalition Policy Program
      November 29, 2010

      Photo by Christopher Waters  Tell Congress: Vote YES for Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids!

      TODAY is the deadline to contribute to the CFSC photo petition!

      House Leadership has indicated that the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307) is on the legislative calendar this week and is likely to come up for a vote THIS WEDNESDAY! Over the Thanksgiving holiday, people all across the country submitted photos to CFSC's photo petition, calling on Congress to ensure that our children have regular access to healthy meals.

      Haven't submitted yours yet?
      You still have time!

      Unanimously passed by the Senate and supported by more than 1,700 national, state and local organizations
      , this bill makes important improvements to our nation's school food programs. With one in four children at risk of hunger, and one in three obese or overweight, we can’t afford not to act.  Tell Congress NOW IS THE TIME to step up to the plate for kids! Here's how you can help:

      Submit your photo for Child Nutrition - Deadline is TODAY!

      Thanks to all those who have already submitted their pictures. If you haven't yet, follow these steps:
      1. Make a sign urging Congress to pass the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.
      2. Take a photo with your sign!
      3. Spread the word! Get your kids, friends and family members involved, too.
      4. Email your photo(s) with your name and location (city, state) to photopetition@... by MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!**
      We will compile everyone’s photos and deliver the petition to Congress before the House vote this week. Not sure what your sign should say? Need advice on taking a great picture? Click here for our photo petition guide.

      Call your Representative - Deadline Wednesday, December 1st!

      Now that the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307) is on the Congressional calendar for a vote this Wednesday, tell your Representative you expect them to vote yes! You can get your Representative's name and direct number at Congress.org (just enter your zip code). Or, call the Capitol Switchboard, provide your Representative's name and be directly connected to their office: (202) 225-3121.   Once connected, ask to speak to the staff member who works on child nutrition.

      Script:  "I am a constituent of ________ and I am calling to ask him/her to vote YES for the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307) when it comes to the floor for a vote this week. Unless Congress sends the bill to the President now, supporters will have to start over in the new Congess. We must not make our children wait any longer."

      Questions? Please contact the CFSC Policy Office.

      **Note: If your file is too large to send via email, or you have multiple photos, email photopetition@..., and we will provide you with further instructions to share your photos with us.

      Thank you for your help!

      Community Food Security Coalition
      Washington, D.C. Office
      202-543-8602

      Community Food Security Coalition
      110 Maryland Ave. NE Suite 307 Washington, DC 20002
      (202) 543-8602 |
      www.FoodSecurity.org

      The Community Food Security Coalition (CFSC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3), North American organization dedicated to building strong, sustainable, local and regional food systems that ensure access to affordable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate food for all people at all times. We seek to develop self-reliance among all communities in obtaining their food and to create a system of growing, manufacturing, processing, making available, and selling food that is regionally based and grounded in the principles of justice, democracy, and sustainability.

      Creative Commons License

      Forward this email to a friend