Meeting notes

  • Patrick Zak
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2012
    Below and attached are meeting notes from our last Dads Club meeting.  Please review. A number of us have volunteered for various activities -- make sure you check to see what you have signed on for!  Also, if I got anything wrong or did not include you, please forgive / correct me.

    Patrick

    Dads’ Club Notes – 2/1/11
    Present: Rick, Kag, Andrew, Kenton, Mike N, Chris J, Kevin, Charlie, Roy, Paul, Craig, Tom K, Steve, Christopher F, Kent, Chad, Carroll, Patrick,
    Movie Night, Game Night, Outings
    The January movie night went very well.  Kids and staff were not charged and there was a good turnout.  The overall cost was modest at roughly $85. Not having any popcorn was a disappointment, however.
    The group discussed possible As and Warriors outings and decided to keep investigating the possibilities of getting reduced cots tickets for an outing.
    The group decided to have a game night in March.
    Ø  Carroll to work with administration on setting a date
    Ø  Chris J to work on getting free food from Safeway.
    Ø  The group will figure out additional details once the date is set
    RDA Report
    Chris J gets quite a few requests from people as to how they can help out with the school.  The dads’ club should keep an eye out for opportunities.  These might include volunteering at the library, handing out sports equipment, or a parent patrol in the morning.
    Project Peace
    Project Peace,  a work day at Claremont, will occur on Saturday Feb 11th from 9am to noon.  Project Peace needs volunteers.
    The dads club agreed to show up to help paint graffiti on the buildings.  Note, since the meeting, the administration has agreed to paint the graffiti.  Dads are still needed at the event.  One possible task would be to build a shed.
    Ø  Kag will make a poster / task list for the event
    Ø  Dads should show up to the event to help out
    Science Night
    February 16th is Science Night.  The school needs volunteers to help man stations as well as to help set up / other duties.
    Ø  Carroll, Patrick, Charlie, Paul, Mike and Tom K agreed to help run stations
    Ø  Patrick to put Tom K on the dads club list
    Ø  Carroll to give Kag info on Science night.
    Ø  Kag will work with the art teacher to create posters
    Ø  Other dads should come help set up / clean up if they are available

    Pancake Breakfast
    The Pancake Breakfast will be April 21st.  The group decided that one of the goals for this year’s breakfast would be for it to be more inclusive and diverse.  The group will investigate ways to make this happen including potentially giving tickets to teachers to hand out to deserving kids. We should consider having a 4th seating in order to raise additional funds, especially if we are giving away more tickets.
    Ø  Carroll to determine how many posters (including laminated), flyers and tickets we will need. The RDA needs 100 posters.
    Ø  Charlie to investigate free night at the SF Hilton as a raffle item.
    Ø  Kag to look into free tickets to six flags as a raffle item.
    Ø  Chris J to discuss 4th seating with Masons.
    Ø  Kag to develop posters, handbills and tickets
    Ø  Carroll to set up sales website
    Ø  Kevin to draft article for the Rockridge News
    Ø  Patrick to coordinate sales at Chabot
    Ø  Christopher F to coordinate sales at Peralta
    Ø  Charlie to coordinate sales at Kaiser
    Ø  Chris J to coordinate sales to merchants
    Ø  Patrick to deliver tickets to merchants
    Ø  Kevin to recruit band to play at event
    Ø  Kag to oversee effort to get arts shown at the event
    Ø  Kevin and Roy to publicize the event including posting save the date events at various schools (Kevin to write and Roy to post)
    Volunteers are needed to help sell tickets, put up posters, and oversee ticket sales at Claremont and other feeder schools.
    Per Chris J, the RDA will pay $120 for posters and related materials.
    Ride for a Reason
    May 12th is Ride for a Reason, Claremont’s second largest fundraiser.  Assistance is needed to man rest stops.  The dads club agreed to oversee two rest stops.
    Ø  Chris, Patrick, Carroll and Roy (who needs to double check) will help man rest stops
    Other
    Donations are needed of sports equipment, especially footballs and basketballs.  If dads have any gently used equipment, please donate to the school.  Contact Patrick for more info.
    Itoco would like to start a school store where kids can redeem their caught in the act bucks.  Peralta and Edna Brewer have similar programs.  Dads club should work on figuring out how we can assist with this.
    Peralta is seeking donations of wine for its auction.  They were very supportive of Claremont’s wine raffle and we should reciprocate. If you have a bottle or two to donate, contact Kag
    Next Meeting
    The dads club will go out after Science Night.  Most likely to the Conga Lounge on College Ave.
    Ø  Kent to check out the Conga Lounge to see if the space will work.

  • Christopher Frost
    Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2012

      LRPG, a neighborhood group that was formed to support local public schools, is looking for short-term storage space. Last year, and again this year, it is their intention to split proceeds from the sale between Peralta and Claremont .

      Below is a paste-in (cross post) from other yahoo group.

      Hello wonderful community!

      We have been graced by donations of a 1 car garage from a Peralta Family AND one from a Claremont Family - yay public schools!  Anyhow, for this yard sale to be a continued success, we could really use one more storage area - approximately the size of a 1-car garage.  Bigger is always fine, but I know the neighborhood, and am keenly aware of the lack of empty 2 car garages and basements.  SO if you are looking to an early spring cleaning event to help us out, please consider it.  Even if you just have 1/2 of a garage to loan us.  Again, it would be only for the month of April and this is definitely an event that the ENTIRE community benefits from.

      Thank you for any consideration or leads in this matter.

      -heather & nicole - your yard sale committee -- grillmeyer@...

    • paul kagiwada
      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2012
        Hi All,

        Just dropping a note to let you know that anyone can bid online for some of the Peralta auction items. See below for link and some highlighted items. Feel free to pass on to any other Claremont (or non-Claremont) folks you think might be interested. The online auction closes on Monday, February 27.

        And if any of you are auction junkies, you can buy tickets online for the live auction on March 3 at the Uptown.

        Cheers,
        Kag

        Have you seen all the incredible things up for bid in Peralta's Online Auction?

        Have you told your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers that they can bid, too?

        Some items don't have any bids yet, and you could score quite a deal. For example, these would be great for the whole family, or your out-of-town visitors:
        • Alameda County Fair, with a VIP box for watching the horse races
        • Cartoon Art Museum
        • Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda
        • Bay cruise on the Red & White Fleet
        • Old Faithful Geyser in Calistoga
        • Pier 39 pack with tickets for a boat ride, the carousel, the aquarium and more!
        • Raging Waters in San Jose
        • Studio Grow
        • The Jungle in Concord
        • The Tech Museum in San Jose
        • The Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa
        • Museum of the African Diaspora (MOAD)
        • Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
        • Walt Disney Family Museum
        Thinking ahead, check out discounts to summer camps at
        • Luna Dance Institute
        • Camp Kala
        • Camp Kee Tov
        • Girls on the Go
        Take a whole group for wine tastings and tours at
        • Byington Vineyards
        • Peju Province Winery
        • The Winery SF on Treasure Island
        Get tickets to
        • Ashkenaz
        • La Pena
        • Magic Theater
        • Marin Shakespeare
        • Marin Theatre Co.
        • Oakland East Bay Symphony
        • Oregon Shakespeare Festival
        • Aurora Theater
        • Shotgun Players Theater
        • West Edge Opera
        • a Cal Football game at the remodeled stadium
        Sign up for classes for you or your kids at
        • Bay Mountain Martial Arts
        • Danspace
        • Funky Door Yoga
        • Emeryville Martial Arts
        • Fuse Fitness
        • Shawl-Anderson Dance Center
        • Studio Naga
        • Soja Martial Arts
        Treat yourself to
        • Acupressure Massage
        • Acupuncture
        • Breema Bodywork
        • Chiropractic
        • Deluxe Facial
        • Electrolysis
        • Haircuts at several different salons
        And don't miss out on these:
        • 3 Month Family Membership to the Downtown Oakland YMCA
        • Skiing at Tahoe Donner or Bear Valley Lodge (both of which are good through next winter)

      • Paul Kagiwada
        Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2014
          Thanks to all the dads who showed up tonight. We were quick but we got a lot done. As usual, these notes are brief, incomplete, and quite possibly erroneous so feel free to amend or correct anything.

          In attendance were Kag, Kent Reno, Nate Laskin, John Spaveck, Christopher Frost, Morris Dye, Andrew Stern, Patrick Zak, Chris Jackson, Sam Evison, Brian Rice, Mike Mages, and Paul Vetter.

          - Chris Jackson reported on an increase in bad behavior by Claremont students on the Ave. The Richardsons seem to be on it, but you can always ask them what you can do to support them. This does two things: it lets them know that you are concerned with what is going on but it also gives them the opportunity to engage you in the solution.

          - Mike put the call out for volunteers for Ride for a Reason, particularly for rest stop 1 and truck driving. Talk to Mike or Christopher Frost if you want to help out.

          - Brian reported on the state of music at Claremont. Sounds like we are getting close to securing a full time music teacher for next year. There is some desire to continue the after school music beyond spring break (the time we currently have funding for). Brian is looking into doing a stripped down Play-a-thon at BART and also playing at a Grill and Chill. The Spring Concert is April 10 and folks may be needed to set up the room. Brian could definitely use some help organizing all these events if you or you kid is interested in music.

          - March 26th is the after school Dads Day. We’re still figuring things out. Christopher Frost is going to talk with Ares Jordan this week to solidify plans. Right now, we are hoping to get a good showing of dads at the school from about 2:30 until 6:00. Please do what you can to be there. This is our big chance to connect with some of these kids. Pending what Ares says, we will do activities from about 3:00-4:30 and serve food from 4:30 to 5:30. We will serve hot dogs, chip and drinks. If anyone wants to make some slaw or anything else, it’s always appreciated.

          I think we will at least have some kind of sports/games outside or in the gym and board games in the cafeteria. In addition, other ideas were:
          - chalk art
          - make a video
          - photo booth
          - limbo contest
          - turf battle (or some kind of dance contest)
          - stomp rockets

          Dads committed to being there are: Kag, Kent, Nate, John, Christopher, Andrew, and Patrick. We need more help! Please let me know ASAP if you can be there. Especially if you want to take on one of the above activities or another activity of your own devising.

          - Pancake Breakfast is April 26. Posters and tickets will be available soon. Kag will distribute honor tickets to administration and teacher to give out to deserving students. Please consider taking one morning to sell tickets at your feeder school if you still have elementary age kids. We don’t expect to sell a lot this way but it’s just good to get the word out there. Patrick is handling the 7th grade raffle. He is also working with the garden teacher to sell plant starts at the event. Brian is looking into getting some music on the second floor. Looks like chorus and strings are a strong possibility.

          That’s all I can remember right now.

          Cheers,
          Kag