Re: [CMRI_Users] Re: Mac to SMINI via USB-RS485: Howdy!

  • Donald Wood
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 5 4:47 PM
      Digi Key used to let you look at the spec sheets but last time I tried, they were no longer available.

      I do know I checked out different sources for the chips and the Mouser was good for 64 nodes and Jameco is surplus so I do not trust what they would ship. Therefore the only supplier of 128 node capable was Digi key sales. I also assume that if the number of nodes is going to be limited to under 32 then using the same MAX chip of lesser capability would work fine. Again that is an assumption and all nodes should have identical chips. Let me dig a little and see if I can get the current load of the chip. Mixing chips may cause data transmission errors. Any engineers out there have an opinion

      Best

      Don

    • Donald Wood
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 12, 2006
        Paul Dobbs I believe has the conversion card for their MAC system and James Pond is using a USB to RS422 cable to connect 2 SMINI nodes. Since the cable diagram I responded to can be either RS232 or with the change to the wire in the cable it becomes RS422, then I would say you probably are safe without it. On the other side, if you ever wanted to connect an IBM PC to the railroad, then the conversion card is needed and the connection would be easily transferred.

        Don