IBEC in a 32 bit system

  • Earl T. Hackett, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Here's an odd question. An IBEC board can be plugged into any ISA slot. However, if you operate under a 32 bit Windows system, will it function properly? There is a BASIC available for the 32 bit environment with all the PEEK, POKE, and in ASM capability you want, but will the 32 bit operating system throw a fit at this legacy 16 bit board. I'm beginning a major recoding project and it seemed like a reasonable time to port all my code up to the next level - assuming the hardware will function.

    • Alex Shepherd
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        > Here's an odd question. An IBEC board can be plugged into
        > any ISA slot. However, if you operate under a 32 bit Windows
        > system, will it function properly?

        Have a look at this bit of software:

        http://darkface.pp.se/~spleen/lsd/awkiawki/index.cgi/GiveIO

        There are others like it as well that allow User Level (as opposed to System
        Level) programs to directly access hardware on a Protected Mode Windows OS.

        Cheers

        Alex Shepherd
      • Donald Wood
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          I have found that the IBEC will work fine in port mode but not memory map under 32 bit systems booted from a DOS disk. The last two systems I sent out I had to set them as port mapped to test the card. I used to use my 486 to test until it died. Maybe I can resurrect the dead

          Have fun
          Don

        • Earl T. Hackett, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            Does that mean you were running DOS on a machine capable of 32 bit operation? Right now have the board in a 486 that has run Windows 95, but was deliveres with WFWG 3.1. The BASIC language I'm looking at actually operates under the Windows 95 or higher systems. I have ISA slots in some of my machines, but I don't know what will happen if I try to access a board in one of them while operating under a 32 bit Windows system.
            I have found that the IBEC will work fine in port mode but not memory map under 32 bit systems booted from a DOS disk. The last two systems I sent out I had to set them as port mapped to test the card. I used to use my 486 to test until it died. Maybe I can resurrect the dead

            Have fun
            Don

            Ho scale model train Ho model trains G scale model train

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
              I guess the "key" question here is WHICH operating system do you plan to
              run this program on. From your findings so far, you will most likely be in
              luck if you run your application under Win95/Win98/ME. However, if you try
              running it under a true 32-bit OS, like WinNT, Win2000 or WinXP, then my
              gut-feel is that you will not fare well since direct access to the ISA
              hardware will be blocked. Microsoft removed support for user-mode
              applicatons containing direct BIOS-level hardware routines from the 32-bit
              versions of Windows. With WinNT, Win2000 or WinXP you now have to use a
              kernel-mode device driver that has "exposed" interfaces for your
              application to call in order to talk to the your hardware.

              Scott

              Does that mean you were running DOS on a machine capable of 32 bit
              operation?  Right now have the board in a 486 that has run Windows 95, but
              was deliveres with WFWG 3.1.  The BASIC language I'm looking at actually
              operates under the Windows 95 or higher systems.  I have ISA slots in some
              of my machines, but I don't know what will happen if I try to access a
              board in one of them while operating under a 32 bit Windows system.<BR>
                ----- Original Message ----- <BR>
                I have found that the IBEC will work fine in port mode but not memory map
              under 32 bit systems booted from a DOS disk. The last two systems I sent
              out I had to set them as port mapped to test the card. I used to use my 486
              to test until it died. Maybe I can resurrect the dead <BR>
              <BR>
                Have fun<BR>
                Don<BR>
              <BR>
                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
                      Ho scale model train  Ho model trains  G scale model train  <BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
                    <BR>
                  c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service. <BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
              <BR>
              </tt>

              <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

              <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
              <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
              <ul>
              <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CMRI_Users">CMRI_Users</a>" on the
              web.<br> </tt>
              <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
              to:<br> <a
              href="mailto:CMRI_Users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">CMR
              <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
              href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
              </ul>
              <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

              <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Earl T. Hackett, Jr.