Re: Newbie Questions

  • quanahmoon
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 29, 2012
      Hey der Newbie:

      Yes you can connect an interlocking or ctc panel to a simulation program using CMRI and TD3.

      I have done it to restore an old NYC ctc panel (Toledo-Elkhart) and another gentleman is restoring an old C&O panel.

      See the "NYC ctc panel restored" album in the Photos folder on this site for pictures of my application.

      I use Train Dispatcher 3.5 to run the simulation. It has an input/output handler that can receive inputs from pushbuttons/rotary switches etc and send outputs to turn on occupancy lights and move switch position indicators.

      I also used VB6 to write a "translator" to pass information between TDS and CMRI. Eric Schwarz on this site had some good inputs on that.

      CMRI then makes all the connections to and from the panel and levers. Right now I also use VB6 to enter the ctc controls but I will be integrating the original pushbutton machine used by the dispatcher to control switches and signals.

      The application is very flexible and u can add all sorts of bells and whistles. For example my "layout" will generate relay clicks when u press the code button, and since I have pictures of each interlocking it will show you the actual signal aspects that would be displayed at each location.

      The end result is an extraordinarily accurate simulation of actual ctc. I contacted a former dispatcher that used the machine at Conrail and his recollections essentially matched what I see on the panels.

      Good luck,

      Gregg

      PS: I'm told the guys at Harris Tower used a very complicated industrial controlled instead of CMRI; this seemed like overkill to me plus there's more CMRI gurus on this site than u can shake a stick at who can help troubleshoot.

      --- In CMRI_Users@yahoogroups.com, "westdetroit" <jpervafb7575@...> wrote:

      > Hi all. First a little "background" information about myself and what and why I'm trying to accomplish.
      >
      > I am a, now retired, block operators' son. My dad hired out on the NYC then worked for PC and then of course Conrail. What I want to accomplish is "simulating" my personal favorite location that my dad worked at to the best of my knowledge (memory basically). I will be using ctcparts.com as I like the idea of the metal parts versus plastic. Being that I'm totally new to actually creating a ctc replica I need help getting pointed in the right direction. I want to create two machines with a total of nine interlockings. Eight of them is actually on one machine while the other is the "home" interlocking. The "home" machine will be a more "typical" older style ctc machine with the "flip" switches, or toggle switches. The other machine will have push buttons for six of the nine interlockings and rotary style switches for the remaing two interlockings. These WILL NOT be hooked up to a model layout. Instead, it will be hooked up to a computer to "simulate" the train movements.
      >
      > My first question is, where should I begin?
      >
      > Second, I have Train Dispatcher 3. Can I use this program to simulate the train movements or is there a different or better program to use?
      >
      > Thank you for any help. This is all I have for now. I loook forward to any responses.

    • westdetroit
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2012
        Thank you Gregg. I will keep this email message for future reference. I was suppose to get half of an inheritance and was going to use some of that money to order the CTC machines and everything that I needed but now I have a butthead relative that's going to make things difficult so now I'm not sure if I'll have enough once all is said and done. But at least I know it's possible and have a better idea of what I need. Thank you all for the responses. Take care. Hopefully things work out so I can still do this. :(