Re: Kanab Creek in April /May 2009

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
      Please post to the calendar until we get a better way to do signups?

      Susan

      --- In CMG@yahoogroups.com, rob smith <lechassuer@...> wrote:

      > There is a particular week long backpack trip off the North Rim of
      the Grand Canyon, that I have done a few times.  It has been eight
      years of so since my last trip there, so I am heading back.  I
      consider it the hands down best week long trip in the Grand Canyon.
      It is also the best week long trip I have done period, and I know
      many that have adventured more than I that say the same.

      > It combines spectacular waterfalls, hanging gardens, narrow
      serpentine canyoneering, more than ten miles along the Colorado
      river, and the day out is a steep one where water scarcity and
      temperature dictate that only the hardy need apply.   Most of it is
      cross country, lots of boulder hopping, narrow paths many feet above
      the River and a passage through Deer Creek Falls that is memorable
      both for its sublime beauty and its slender,-face-the wall-drop-
      down -to the creek-adventure.  It can be snowing at the top of the
      North Rim, even down to the intermediate plateau and 90 degrees and
      brutally hot at the river, all within 24 hours.

      > I would like to schedule the trip before or after Spring Break to
      avoid permit procuring difficulties.  The trip size will be eight
      maximum.  I will fish around for a couple of weeks and find the week
      to go for interested parties and then when I decide on a week a call
      for seriously interested parties will go out and a check made out to
      me for for forty dollars to cover the permit fees will be how you
      sign up.  First check-first served as long as your fitness and
      backpacking/moutnaineering resume is suitable.  Remember, we will be
      carrying food for a week and up to four quarts of water on some
      stretches so good conditioning is important, that you are not left
      to have your bones bleach in the sun, to become a chochkey in some
      designers home decor.

      > Robert Smith
      > Please respond with "reply all" as I seldom can keep up reading
      replies in the digest format and I have included my personal email
      in the address bar.