Kanab Creek in April /May 2009

  • rob smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008

      There is a particular week long backpack trip off the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, that I have done a few times.  It has been eight years of so since my last trip there, so I am heading back.  I consider it the hands down best week long trip in the Grand Canyon.  It is also the best week long trip I have done period, and I know many that have adventured more than I that say the same.

      It combines spectacular waterfalls, hanging gardens, narrow serpentine canyoneering, more than ten miles along the Colorado river, and the day out is a steep one where water scarcity and temperature dictate that only the hardy need apply.   Most of it is cross country, lots of boulder hopping, narrow paths many feet above the River and a passage through Deer Creek Falls that is memorable both for its sublime beauty and its slender,-face-the wall-drop-down -to the creek-adventure.  It can be snowing at the top of the North Rim, even down to the intermediate plateau and 90 degrees and brutally hot at the river, all within 24 hours.

      I would like to schedule the trip before or after Spring Break to avoid permit procuring difficulties.  The trip size will be eight maximum.  I will fish around for a couple of weeks and find the week to go for interested parties and then when I decide on a week a call for seriously interested parties will go out and a check made out to me for for forty dollars to cover the permit fees will be how you sign up.  First check-first served as long as your fitness and backpacking/moutnaineering resume is suitable.  Remember, we will be carrying food for a week and up to four quarts of water on some stretches so good conditioning is important, that you are not left to have your bones bleach in the sun, to become a chochkey in some designers home decor.

      Robert Smith
      Please respond with "reply all" as I seldom can keep up reading replies in the digest format and I have included my personal email in the address bar.

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
        Please post to the calendar until we get a better way to do signups?

        Susan