Re: CMG: Family camping

  • Justin M. Lewis
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
      I'm not sure I get what you're looking for?  I've never been to a campground where the campsites aren't all dirt and rock.  I don't think you're going to find a grassy campsite.  Maybe a campsite near grassy areas?  You can try Tuolumne Meadows.  It's pretty flat, with a little river nearby.  Or Yosemite Valley is pretty family friendly.  Again, a little river nearby, and restaurants, and all that kind of stuff in the valley.

      There are lots of parks right around the bay area, big basin, and the like, if you use google maps you can see them all along the coast, and up in the hills.

      Or, Pinnacles.  That campground used to be privately owned, it might be more what you're looking for?

      I'm not sure it's possible to take kids that young camping and have them not run around, and get dirty.

      On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM, John Street <streetly@...> wrote:

      Can anyone recommend a good place for camping with small children/toddlers near the Bay Area? I am on a quest to find the ideal spot: safe, grassy, easy access. We recently drove to Sequoia (5 hours each way) to find our campsite heavily laden in carbon dust from the fire pit's years of heavy use. The little one was covered in the stuff. Worse yet our camp sat on the edge of a cliff overlooking a beautiful river, which had some kind of mystic pull on our 1-yr old wanderer. We pulled up stakes and headed home after 24 hours. BUT my wife has agreed to give camping another try if I can find the right spot. Any help?

      Thanks,
      John Street
      415.377.7767

    • michael Palmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
        Hi John, I have a friend who has taken his daughter camping since she was toddler.  In and near the bay area are
        Anthony Chabot regoinal park on Redwood Road and Mt. Diablo State Park both in the east bay,
        Samuel P. Taylor State Park on Sir Francis Drake in Marin,
        Mt. Tam has 2 campgrounds sort of near the main road though.
        For his daughter's first back packing trip they went to Point Reyes (close enough to carry her part of the way).
        Near Morgan Hill is Henry Coe State Park.
        I think there is camping but not sure, check out Big Basin State Park (beautiful).
        Ranging further out but still easy drive, there are a lot of state parks starting in Solono County and up into Mendocino. Try Armstrong Woods and Hendy Woods.
        Getting dirty is half the fun, the other half is taking a swim to wash it off.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
            It's Jenkins Reservoir.
            Great single track mtn biking there too.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
              The East Bay Regional Park District has a very nice campground at Anthony Chabot Regional Park. It's well above the lake so you don't have to worry about water issues. The walk-in sites are particularly nice.

              You could also try Gerstel Campground at Salt Point State Park. It's a beautiful campground where the sites surround a central grassy area (which I understand you want). Hard to get into though, especially during abalone season.

              Rob
            • Garrick Meeker

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2008
                  My four children and I just returned from a trip to Big Sur.  We stayed at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.  It was very beautiful -- but watch out for poison oak!  Showers there were pretty decent (making the dirt a little less frustrating).  Many of the trails were closed due to the fires, but you couldn't see anything burned from our camp site.  We also drove south along the coast and found Pfeiffer beach where there was a wonderful sand wall to climb.  Further south was McWay Falls, as well.  On the way home, there were plenty of places to stop along the beach and enjoy the view, including Point Lobos (great place to hike, take pictures and enjoy the wildlife)

                  It was quite chilly, but the kids had a wonderful time!  I highly recommend it!

                  We've also gone to Big Basin, which is very pretty, and Calaveras Big Trees.  Yosemite is also quite nice, but the camp sites are rather close together, and reservations are difficult.

                  Susan Puetz

                  "Each indecision brings its own delays and days are lost lamenting over lost days... What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power, and genius in it."

                   Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
                  1749-1832, Poet, Novelist and Scientist