Thompson and Gilbert Ice climbs August 9&10

  • lechassuer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2008
      A 3 mile approach on Saturday leads to our camp where we will drop our packs and pick
      up our ice gear and head for the AI 2-3 right hand couloir of Thompson. Three pitches of
      ice up the Harrington Couloir puts us on the ridge where we make a scramble to the top.
      After enjoying some time on the summit, we walk down the ridge a bit past our ascent
      route to the rap anchors on Knudtson Couloir. 3 short raps pursue back on the
      permanent snowfield above camp.

      Sunday we will get an alpine start, bring your headlamps, where we will be climbing the
      Gilbert couloir. A thousand feet of AI 3 efficient climbing will put us at the base of the
      5.6 chimney where will use a standard rock rack to two inches to gain the summit ridge a
      scramble to the top. The descent is along the east ridge with some class 4 down climbing
      to the rap anchors. 4 raps puts us back on the snow field. This is an alpine adventure
      that uses the range of skills and requires reasonable efficiency in ice climbing, rope
      management, rapping, and mountain walking. The party size on the Gilbert climb is
      limited to six. The Thompson climb can take 12. A short walk down to camp and three
      miles, much of it on trail, back to the cars.

      Contact Robert Smith at lechassuer@... to sign up
      ref; SP Parker, Eastern Sierra Ice
    • Miguel Forjan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
        Hey Rob,
        I was up in the Thompson/Gilbert area on June 28th.  The Knudtson couloir is melted and not worth it.  The Smrz might be a possibility but it looked like it was all neve just like the Harrignton.  We climbed the Moynier couloir and it had ice.

        Here are my pics from June 28, 2008:

        http://picasaweb.google.com/maforjan/MoynierCouloir

        Regards,

        --Miguel Forjan

[...]