Sill Trip 5/2/08 - trip report (very short)

  • Tom Cronin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2008
      Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on Saturday.  Weather was poor Sunday morning.  Snow above 3rd Lake covers the trail.

      Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tombcronin/Sill2008

      Tom

    • Philip C. Klein
      Message 2 of 13 , May 5, 2008
        The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine creek was
        actually built for Lon Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
        architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChaneyHighSierraHouseFrontView.jpg

        Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.

        TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake covers the trail.

        TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tombcronin/Sill2008

        TC> Tom
      • desmo0341
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2008
          Gear related question.

          I noticed in the photos you both were using a Bivy. What is the
          advantage/disadvantage of each using a bivy as opposed to sahring a
          tent, or using light 1 person tents?

          --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "Philip C. Klein" <philklein@...> wrote:

          > The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine
          creek was
          > actually built for Lon Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
          > architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChaneyHighSierraHouseFrontView.jpg
          >

          > Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.
          >

          > TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on
          Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake
          covers the trail.

          > TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tombcronin/Sill2008
          >
          > TC> Tom

        • Tom Cronin
          Message 4 of 13 , May 6, 2008
            My 2 cents: bivy's are lighter.  Disadvantage is condensation, coffin like environment, no one to provide motivation to get up in the early morning.  Tom

            desmo0341 <desmo0341@...> wrote:
            Gear related question.

            I noticed in the photos you both were using a Bivy. What is the
            advantage/disadvant age of each using a bivy as opposed to sahring a
            tent, or using light 1 person tents?

            --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups. com, "Philip C. Klein" <philklein@. ..> wrote:

            > The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine
            creek was
            > actually built for Lon Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
            > architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Image:ChaneyHigh SierraHouseFront View.jpg
            >

            > Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.
            >

            > TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on
            Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake
            covers the trail.

            > TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb. google.com/ tombcronin/ Sill2008
            >
            > TC> Tom

          • Serge Melle
            Message 5 of 13 , May 6, 2008
              My inexperienced take on this was that being so light, a bivy could be carried with you on the summit hike as well, and in case of sudden storms, accidents, and other unexpected events that could prevent a return to mid-altitude camp you have a shelter with you that can enhance overnight survival in case you need to hunker down (ie: high winds, very cold, white-out, etc).  Does that make sense?

              desmo0341 <desmo0341@comcast. net> wrote:
              Gear related question.

              I noticed in the photos you both were using a Bivy. What is the
              advantage/disadvant age of each using a bivy as opposed to sahring a
              tent, or using light 1 person tents?

              --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups. com, "Philip C. Klein" <philklein@. ..> wrote:

              > The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine
              creek was
              > actually built for Lon Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
              > architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Image:ChaneyHigh SierraHouseFront View.jpg
              >

              > Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.
              >

              > TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on
              Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake
              covers the trail.

              > TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb. google.com/ tombcronin/ Sill2008
              >
              > TC> Tom

            • Tom Cronin
              Message 6 of 13 , May 6, 2008
                Yes.  Hypothermia is preventable.  Tom

              • desmo0341@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 13 , May 6, 2008
                  I believe one of those in the picture is a BD lightsaber, the other a OR Alpine, not sure?

                  Do the experienced people here have a recommendation for a bivy? I think I want to try going bivy. They look much more advanced the plain Goretex shell we used in the corps. I always like the cozy feeling of wrapping up in it and digging myself into the earth.
                  From: Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...>
                  > Yes. Hypothermia is preventable. Tom
                  >
                  > Serge Melle <icyfrostyday@...> wrote: My inexperienced take on
                  > this was that being so light, a bivy could be carried with you on the summit
                  > hike as well, and in case of sudden storms, accidents, and other unexpected
                  > events that could prevent a return to mid-altitude camp you have a shelter with
                  > you that can enhance overnight survival in case you need to hunker down (ie:
                  > high winds, very cold, white-out, etc). Does that make sense?
                  >

                  > Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
                  > My 2 cents: bivy's are lighter. Disadvantage is condensation, coffin like
                  > environment, no one to provide motivation to get up in the early morning. Tom
                  >
                  > desmo0341 <desmo0341@...> wrote: Gear related question.
                  >
                  > I noticed in the photos you both were using a Bivy. What is the
                  > advantage/disadvantage of each using a bivy as opposed to sahring a
                  > tent, or using light 1 person tents?
                  >
                  > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "Philip C. Klein" <philklein@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine
                  > creek was
                  > > actually built for Lon Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
                  > > architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.
                  > >
                  > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChaneyHighSierraHouseFrontView.jpg
                  > >

                  > > Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.
                  > >

                  > > TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on
                  > Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake
                  > covers the trail.
                  > >
                  > > TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tombcronin/Sill2008
                  > >
                  > > TC> Tom
                  > >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                • Justin M. Lewis
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 6, 2008
                    REI currently has the OR Alpine bivy on sale:

                    I just bought one, it's nice, but, I haven't figured out how to have the screen closed, but still keep the waterproof covering open.

                    It fits my 4 season, long thermarest, and leaves me with enough room to roll around inside my sleeping bag.  Probably not enough space to dress and undress, and dry off clothes, and whatnot, like you'd be able to do in a tent.

                    I'm not sure I'd enjoy the bivy thing if I knew there was going to be a lot of bad weather.

                    Justin

                    From: Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...>

                    desmo0341 <desmo0341@...> wrote:
                    Gear related question.

                    I noticed in the photos you both were using a Bivy. What is the
                    advantage/disadvantage of each using a bivy as opposed to sahring a
                    tent, or using light 1 person tents?

                    --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "Philip C. Klein" <philklein@...> wrote:

                    > The large stone ranger "cabin" we passed on the way up Big Pine
                    creek was
                    > actually built for Lo! n Chaney, the silent Hollywood star by a name
                    > architect. Here is a URL for a picture and a short description.
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChaneyHighSierraHouseFrontView.jpg
                    >

                    > Nice base camp to go climbing in the Sierras.
                    >

                    > TC> Out of five people, in two parties, two climbed the U-notch on
                    Saturday. Weather was poor Sunday morning. Snow above 3rd Lake
                    covers the trail.

                    > TC> Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tombcronin/Sill2008
                    >
                    > TC> Tom

                  • rob smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 6, 2008
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/bowhoop2/UNotch

                      Some pictures of the trip to the Palisades and up the
                      U Notch.

                      The ice is in shape now! Both the V-Notch and the U
                      Notch have lots of exposed water ice. The U notch is
                      90% and the V Notch at least 75% of the vertical
                      distance.

                      Rob
                    • Susan
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 7, 2008
                        On gore-tex bivys:  They are heavier, no warmer than and marginally more storm protection than a 5 oz emergency bivy.  I use the 5 oz sack overnight frequently, usually with down jacket + pad, no sleeping bag.  Summers, I like my cheap 3 pound, two man tent for multiple days and wake up dry and happy in the morning.  Winters I use MH EV-2 or 4-man Bibler bombshelter.  Reluctance (of men) to share tents is a weird CMC thing that I've never experienced among climbers before.

                        Susan
                      • desmo0341@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 7, 2008
                          Not just a CMC thing, the last 2 backpacking trips I went on, I ended up sharing a tent with females I didnt know. No guys on the trip wanted to share. I am all for splitting pack weight/volume up. (especially since my tents are heavy)

                          I have never used a bivy with the poles around the head area, curious to try one out.

                          -branden
                          From: Susan <susan@...>
                          > On gore-tex bivys: They are heavier, no warmer than and marginally more storm
                          > protection than a 5 oz emergency bivy. I use the 5 oz sack overnight
                          > frequently, usually with down jacket + pad, no sleeping bag. Summers, I like my
                          > cheap 3 pound, two man tent for multiple days and wake up dry and happy in the
                          > morning. Winters I use MH EV-2 or 4-man Bibler bombshelter. Reluctance (of
                          > men) to share tents is a weird CMC thing that I've never experienced among
                          > climbers before.
                          >
                          > Susan
                        • Clem Noname
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 7, 2008
                            I have an OR Aurora bivy. I only use it at altitude. The inside will fill with water vapor when you are in it so you need to have cold dry air outside the bivy to transfer the water vapor through the membrane.

                            The OR Aurora is very functional, but there is that in a coffin feeling. To give myself more room, I use a pad outside the bivy. You can use a pad inside, but it does take up room.
                            I only use the bivy when I am going to spend the night, but never for multiple nights.
                            For multiple nights, I would rather use a tent.

                            One last note about the OR bivys, the opening is awkward to get in and out of. There are other bivy sacks that open up to the side. I like that better because you can open up the sack and have someplace dry to sit while you put on your boots. With the OR, you have to sit on the outside of the bag or the small spot where the opening is at the head of the bag.
                            That is the one inconvenience with OR bags. On the plus side, they are light and tough.

                            From: Susan <susan@chateauchaos. com>
                            > On gore-tex bivys: They are heavier, no warmer than and marginally more storm
                            > protection than a 5 oz emergency bivy. I use the 5 oz sack overnight
                            > frequently, usually with down jacket + pad, no sleeping bag. Summers, I like my
                            > cheap 3 pound, two man tent for multiple days and wake up dry and happy in the
                            > morning. Winters I use MH EV-2 or 4-man Bibler bombshelter. Reluctance (of
                            > men) to share tents is a weird CMC thing that I've never experienced among
                            > climbers before.
                            >
                            > Susan

                          • desmo0341
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                              Thanks again for all the input. I think I will order a BD lightsaber
                              today. I think I like the design of getting in and out better than
                              the OR.