RE: Re: Shasta - Casaval Ridge - Update #1

  • desmo0341
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2003
    • Philip C. Klein
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9 9:37 AM
        Tom,

        Sorry for the delay in responding but I am still interested in going.

        I have a sturdy 2 man tent that I can bring and if I do, I will have
        space for another in the tent.

        I would prefer to get a ride if someone has space. I am in Lafayette,
        next to Walnut Creek. I can meet people for a pickup in the East Bay.
        I am flexible as to time.

        According to the Shasta ranger website, the upper mountain is
        relatively bare and the lower mountain is snowy. I am thinking of
        bringing skis for the lower mountain; anyone else bringing them or
        snowshoes as the snow if probably not yet compacted. What protection
        will be needed for the upper part of the route?

        The website also said that a summit permit is now $20.

        - Phil Klein

        TC> Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to carpool or can offer transportation. If you need
        TC> equipment or tent space please advise.

        TC> My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be ready to go early Saturday morning say around 7:00
        TC> am. We will establish a high camp around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early start, i.e. 3:00 am, Sunday to summit and return home.

        TC> Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and have space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in my tent and need a blank.

        TC> Disclaimer. Please be aware that this is not a guided climb. Each person is ultimately responsible for their own safety. Being a large group we should be able to take turns breaking trail,
        TC> help each other set up camp, and share equipment, but everyone should be able to survive a night in the open on their own if they have to. The route has some steep sections that require self
        TC> arrest skills and a spot or two may warrant a rope. You will need to be proficient with crampons, ice axe etc.

        TC> Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots, sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag, food, spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants,
        TC> jacket, trekking poles, pickets, rope, screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp, GPS, map, compass, whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is responsible for getting a self
        TC> issue permit at the trail head which used to be $15. I hope to form our group into teams of four or so people for the climb.

        TC> By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a final go/no go decision.

        TC> I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!

        TC> Sincerely,

        TC> Tom Cronin
        TC> 925-207-5325 cell
      • Rick Abbott

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10 7:32 PM
            Hi Rick, not sure how I had your name but not to worry.  Hope to see you on a trip sometime though!  bye for now, Tom

            Rick Abbott <abbsfam@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Buddy Betts
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11 4:37 PM
              I'm still interested in going, but can't yet commit 100% (hopefully soon!).

              I'll be leaving Friday afternoon from Redwood City, but if someone else wants
              company in their car I'm good with splitting gas too. Don't have a 4-season
              tent, so hopefully someone has a space available. Can offer up an extra
              mountaineering ice axe if someone needs one.

              Cheers!

              -Buddy

              --- Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:

              > Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta
              > Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to carpool
              > or can offer transportation. If you need equipment or tent space please
              > advise.
              >
              > My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday
              > April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be ready to go
              > early Saturday morning say around 7:00 am. We will establish a high camp
              > around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early start, i.e. 3:00 am,
              > Sunday to summit and return home.
              >
              > Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and have
              > space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in my tent
              > and need a blank.
              >
              > Disclaimer. Please be aware that this is not a guided climb. Each person
              > is ultimately responsible for their own safety. Being a large group we
              > should be able to take turns breaking trail, help each other set up camp, and
              > share equipment, but everyone should be able to survive a night in the open
              > on their own if they have to. The route has some steep sections that require
              > self arrest skills and a spot or two may warrant a rope. You will need to be
              > proficient with crampons, ice axe etc.
              >
              > Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots,
              > sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag, food,
              > spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants, jacket, trekking poles, pickets, rope,
              > screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp, GPS, map, compass,
              > whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is responsible for getting a
              > self issue permit at the trail head which used to be $15. I hope to form our
              > group into teams of four or so people for the climb.
              >
              > By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a
              > final go/no go decision.
              >
              > I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Tom Cronin
              > 925-207-5325 cell
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Total Access, No Cost.

              http://www.flickr.com/gift/
            • Gary Meyer
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11 5:40 PM
                Tom,

                Count me in for Casaval Ridge. I will be leaving San Francisco between 4 and 6 pm on Friday. I was planning on heading up on my own,  but if someone needs a ride I can take 1 person comfortably.

                Gear I can share with the group includes a shovel and a stove. I have a 3-season, 2-person tent I am planning to bring. It has been up Avalanche Gulch twice, but on the ridge it might be better to leave it behind and stay in someone's 4-season if there is room.

                Do you think we'll need snow shoes on the approach?

                Looking forward to meeting everyone...and the ridge.

                Gary

                Rick Abbott <abbsfam@sonic. net> wrote:
[...]

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

              • Jeffrey Ho
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11 7:04 PM

                  Hi Gary,

                  If you have room in the car, I hope to share the ride up.

                  I live in Brisbane and can meet you at your place.

                  Thanks.

                  Jeff

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 13 9:16 AM
                    Jeff,

                    That's cool. I'm happy to give you a ride if your flexible around departure time. I'm thinking now about leaving a little earlier to try to set up camp Friday while it's still light, but I'm working Friday morning and don't know exactly what time I'll get free. I'm hoping to leave between 1 and 2.

                    Do you happen to have a 4-season tent?

                    Gary
                    615 Hyde St. Apt 24
                    235-1815 cell

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 13 2:24 PM
                    • Philip C. Klein
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 14 3:05 PM
                        Tom and Casaval Group-

                        Is there an car opening from the SF Bay Area to Shasta? I would like
                        to car pool and I am free to leave at any time Friday and can meet
                        people outside of the east bay where I live. If I drive, I will probably leave late morning and make a stop
                        for a hour or so in Sacramento.

                        As to equipment, I have:
                        - 4 season, 2 man tent- no other occupant as of yet. Will sleep in
                        another's tent if that works out.
                        - 60m, 8.5mm dry rope
                        - pickets, rock hardware, deadman, ice screws- I plan right now to
                        bring 2 pickets, deadman and a few larger stoppers with biners and
                        webbing.
                        - avalanche transceiver (not digital) and shovel- who else is bringing beacons?
                        - 70cm mountaineering axe. Will bring a 55cm BD cobra hammer but will
                        probably leave at the car.
                        - AT skis. Sounds like there is a lot of snow down low. I plan to
                        drop them off at the base of the ridge
                        - Stove I have a MSR Whisperlite Int'l and pots. Others may have
                        better stoves. Do we have cooking teams, food allocations?
                        - GPS- basic
                        - Crampons- I will bring 12pt step in crampons. I can bring older
                        strap on crampons if someone has big feet and doesn't mind crampons
                        that probably need sharpening.

                        - Phil Klein

                        B> Tom Cronin <tombcronin@yahoo. com> wrote:
                        B> Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta
                        B> Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to
                        B> carpool or can offer transportation. If you need equipment or tent
                        B> space please advise.

                        B> My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on
                        B> Friday April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be
                        B> ready to go early Saturday morning say around 7:00 am. We will
                        B> establish a high camp around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early
                        B> start, i.e. 3:00 am, Sunday to summit and return home.

                        B> Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and
                        B> have space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in
                        B> my tent and need a blank.

                        ***

                        B> Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots,
                        B> sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag,
                        B> food, spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants, jacket, trekking poles,
                        B> pickets, rope, screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp,
                        B> GPS, map, compass, whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is
                        B> responsible for getting a self issue permit at the trail head which used
                        B> to be $15. I hope to form our group into teams of four or so people for
                        B> the climb.

                        B> By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a
                        B> final go/no go decision.

                        B> I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!

                        B> Sincerely,

                        B> Tom Cronin
                        B> 925-207-5325 cell
                      • Tom Cronin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 15 12:55 PM
                          Hi Micky, thanks for the e-mail.  I certainly do have concerns.  Looks like we will have some weather if we go and it will be more technical.  At this point I think it is still okay to go but it will not necessarily be an easy climb.  More to follow, Tom

                          Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                          Hey Tom,

                          I'm not sure if you've seen it yet but there is a posting with some great photos of Casaval Ridge from last weekend:

                          The last comment on the thread concludes with:

                          I wouldn't do Casaval right now, personally- from the looks of the photos, all the steep parts with exposure seem to be nothing but wind-blasted, snow- & ice-covered talus... not my idea of a good time, anyway...
                          It is only one opinion but does it raise any concern?  In your opinion do the current conditions increase the technical nature of the climb that in turn lowers the likliehood of summitting?
                          Thanks,
                          Micky

                          On 4/14/08, Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
                          Good!  I will send out another message in a day or so, Tom

                          Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                          Tom,

                          Ok - I can now commit to being there!

                          I'm sure there will be some more e-mail contact before the weekend but I'm looking forward to meeting up with you in the parking lot Friday night/Sat morning.

                          Thanks,
                          Micky

                          On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
                          Hi Micky,  Hope to see you in a week!  Tom

                          Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                          Tom,

                          I'm 85% sure I will be driving from Orange County with my girlfriend Alysa (she will not be doing the climb) leaving on Friday around noon.  We might have room for a 3rd but plan on staying through Tuesday to get some skiing in.

                          I plan on bringing a bivy sack for the night on the ridge.  I have the following for communal use:

                          White gas stove
                          9mmx60m rope
                          2 pickets
                          2 ice screws
                          2 motorola radios
                          1 shovel

                          I plan on skiing in and carrying the skis up to the camp on the ridge if conditions are favorable for it.

                          I will confirm (hopefully not decline) early next week.

                          -Micky

                          On 4/10/08, WILLIAM DUONOLA <williedee@...> wrote:
                          Hi Tom,

                          I'm coming up with Paul Galvin from the L.A. Area and we will be leaving Thursday night or early Friday morning.  I am trying to rent a white gas stove (as I only have butane), get a 4 season tent which I will share with Paul and am also bringing my bivy.  I have all gear you suggested with the exception of pickets and radios (Paul has a GPS).  I have a 60 meter 10.2 mm rope that is not coated and would prefer if we can borrow a lighter weight dry rope if anyone has one.   In case needed, I will throw in the car,  6 - 22 cm ice screws, ice tools, V thread tool, 10 mm webbing,  2 rappel rings with throw away carabiners, a 22 ft. 8 mm cordelette, crevasse rescue prusiks, snowshoes.

                          Take Care,
                          Will Duonola

[...]

                          between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

                        • Philip C. Klein
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 15 5:02 PM
                            My concern is not some much technical difficultly but that Shasta is a
                            volcano and the rock is lousy. When it is covered with snow, you do
                            not have to deal with the talus and loose rock. Without the snow, it
                            becomes a decidedly less pleasant climb.

                            From the climbing route conditions page of the ranger webpage:

                            "Casaval is in OK shape but some climbers are traversing to finish
                            on the West Face route above 12,500 ft. Due to exposed loose rock
                            patches, several detours below the ridge crest are being used.. . . "

                            Someone should call the rangers on the phone and get a more detailed
                            description of the route's condition.

                            - Phil Klein