RE: Re: Shasta - Casaval Ridge - Update #1

  • desmo0341
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2003
    • Serge Melle
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 8 3:59 PM
        Update from my side:

        I am still finalizing plans to go (75% sure right now).  If I do go I will be doing the beginner route though (Avalanche Gulch) however, so will not be part of the Casaval group.  Plan is for a friend & I to leave Bay area Thursday eve, start the hike up on Friday morning, set up camp at 50:50 (or Helen Lake) around 10k-ft on Friday eve, ascent hike starting around 3-4AM on Saturday.  Then we come down and either do a 2nd night on mountain (plan) or if early enough hike back down to Bunny Flats.  If we do 2nd night at altitude then we'd hike down Sunday morning.  Either way we'd be driving back to Bay area Sunday.

        If anybody is interested in this option I can take one more person in my vehicle (maybe two, but then minimal gear only so we can fit it all in roof-rack).

        I will rent a 4-season tent, and maybe snow-shoes.  Otherwise will have all the rest of the gear on Tom's list but will skip the rope/harness and other climbing gear.

        Finally I just spoke to one of the rangers:

        -   Lots of snow below tree-line: snow-camping at Bunny Flats, 6-8’ of snow on the ground
        -   Very little snow above the tree-line (ie: on mountain) due to high winds throughout winter
        -   No avalanche conditions along A. Gulch route: little fresh snow, older snow stablized
        -   Some of the rock starting to expose, at Helen Lake and Red Banks.
        -  East chimney is exposed
        -  Casaval ridge has lots of rock exposed
        -   Otherwise snow starts softening around 11AM, re-freezes at night
        -   High pressure system this coming weekend will provide clear, ideal conditions
        -   Next week expectation is for very warm weather, so may impact snow conditions
        -   Need to check again next week to see how things are for weekend of April 19-20.

        Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
        Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20.  Also, indicate if you want to carpool or can offer transportation.  If you need equipment or tent space please advise.

        My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night.  I am going to be ready to go early Saturday morning say around 7:00 am.  We will establish a high camp around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early start, i.e. 3:00 am, Sunday to summit and return home.

        Example reply:  I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and have space for blank people in my car.  I have room for blank people in my tent and need a blank.

        Disclaimer.  Please be aware that this is not a guided climb.  Each person is ultimately responsible for their own safety.  Being a large group we should be able to take turns breaking trail, help each other set up camp, and share equipment, but everyone should be able to survive a night in the open on their own if they have to.  The route has some steep sections that require self arrest skills and a spot or two may warrant a rope.  You will need to be proficient with crampons, ice axe etc.

        Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots, sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag, food, spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants, jacket, trekking poles, pickets, rope, screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp, GPS, map, compass, whistle, radios, cell phone, etc.  Each person is responsible for getting a self issue permit at the trail head which used to be $15.  I hope to form our group into teams of four or so people for the climb.

        By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a final go/no go decision.

        I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!

        Sincerely,

        Tom Cronin
        925-207-5325 cell

      • Philip C. Klein
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9 9:37 AM
          Tom,

          Sorry for the delay in responding but I am still interested in going.

          I have a sturdy 2 man tent that I can bring and if I do, I will have
          space for another in the tent.

          I would prefer to get a ride if someone has space. I am in Lafayette,
          next to Walnut Creek. I can meet people for a pickup in the East Bay.
          I am flexible as to time.

          According to the Shasta ranger website, the upper mountain is
          relatively bare and the lower mountain is snowy. I am thinking of
          bringing skis for the lower mountain; anyone else bringing them or
          snowshoes as the snow if probably not yet compacted. What protection
          will be needed for the upper part of the route?

          The website also said that a summit permit is now $20.

          - Phil Klein

          TC> Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to carpool or can offer transportation. If you need
          TC> equipment or tent space please advise.

          TC> My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be ready to go early Saturday morning say around 7:00
          TC> am. We will establish a high camp around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early start, i.e. 3:00 am, Sunday to summit and return home.

          TC> Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and have space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in my tent and need a blank.

          TC> Disclaimer. Please be aware that this is not a guided climb. Each person is ultimately responsible for their own safety. Being a large group we should be able to take turns breaking trail,
          TC> help each other set up camp, and share equipment, but everyone should be able to survive a night in the open on their own if they have to. The route has some steep sections that require self
          TC> arrest skills and a spot or two may warrant a rope. You will need to be proficient with crampons, ice axe etc.

          TC> Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots, sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag, food, spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants,
          TC> jacket, trekking poles, pickets, rope, screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp, GPS, map, compass, whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is responsible for getting a self
          TC> issue permit at the trail head which used to be $15. I hope to form our group into teams of four or so people for the climb.

          TC> By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a final go/no go decision.

          TC> I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!

          TC> Sincerely,

          TC> Tom Cronin
          TC> 925-207-5325 cell
        • Rick Abbott
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10 7:14 PM
            Tom, I don't remember signing up but if you have me on your list I won't be able to make it Rick

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 10 7:32 PM
              Hi Rick, not sure how I had your name but not to worry.  Hope to see you on a trip sometime though!  bye for now, Tom

              Rick Abbott <abbsfam@...> wrote:
[...]

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Buddy Betts
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11 4:37 PM
                I'm still interested in going, but can't yet commit 100% (hopefully soon!).

                I'll be leaving Friday afternoon from Redwood City, but if someone else wants
                company in their car I'm good with splitting gas too. Don't have a 4-season
                tent, so hopefully someone has a space available. Can offer up an extra
                mountaineering ice axe if someone needs one.

                Cheers!

                -Buddy

                --- Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:

                > Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta
                > Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to carpool
                > or can offer transportation. If you need equipment or tent space please
                > advise.
                >
                > My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday
                > April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be ready to go
                > early Saturday morning say around 7:00 am. We will establish a high camp
                > around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early start, i.e. 3:00 am,
                > Sunday to summit and return home.
                >
                > Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and have
                > space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in my tent
                > and need a blank.
                >
                > Disclaimer. Please be aware that this is not a guided climb. Each person
                > is ultimately responsible for their own safety. Being a large group we
                > should be able to take turns breaking trail, help each other set up camp, and
                > share equipment, but everyone should be able to survive a night in the open
                > on their own if they have to. The route has some steep sections that require
                > self arrest skills and a spot or two may warrant a rope. You will need to be
                > proficient with crampons, ice axe etc.
                >
                > Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots,
                > sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag, food,
                > spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants, jacket, trekking poles, pickets, rope,
                > screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp, GPS, map, compass,
                > whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is responsible for getting a
                > self issue permit at the trail head which used to be $15. I hope to form our
                > group into teams of four or so people for the climb.
                >
                > By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a
                > final go/no go decision.
                >
                > I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Tom Cronin
                > 925-207-5325 cell
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Total Access, No Cost.

                http://www.flickr.com/gift/
              • Gary Meyer
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11 5:40 PM
                  Tom,

                  Count me in for Casaval Ridge. I will be leaving San Francisco between 4 and 6 pm on Friday. I was planning on heading up on my own,  but if someone needs a ride I can take 1 person comfortably.

                  Gear I can share with the group includes a shovel and a stove. I have a 3-season, 2-person tent I am planning to bring. It has been up Avalanche Gulch twice, but on the ridge it might be better to leave it behind and stay in someone's 4-season if there is room.

                  Do you think we'll need snow shoes on the approach?

                  Looking forward to meeting everyone...and the ridge.

                  Gary

                  Rick Abbott <abbsfam@sonic. net> wrote:
[...]

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                • Jeffrey Ho
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11 7:04 PM

                    Hi Gary,

                    If you have room in the car, I hope to share the ride up.

                    I live in Brisbane and can meet you at your place.

                    Thanks.

                    Jeff

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 13 9:16 AM
                      Jeff,

                      That's cool. I'm happy to give you a ride if your flexible around departure time. I'm thinking now about leaving a little earlier to try to set up camp Friday while it's still light, but I'm working Friday morning and don't know exactly what time I'll get free. I'm hoping to leave between 1 and 2.

                      Do you happen to have a 4-season tent?

                      Gary
                      615 Hyde St. Apt 24
                      235-1815 cell

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 13 2:24 PM
                      • Philip C. Klein
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 14 3:05 PM
                          Tom and Casaval Group-

                          Is there an car opening from the SF Bay Area to Shasta? I would like
                          to car pool and I am free to leave at any time Friday and can meet
                          people outside of the east bay where I live. If I drive, I will probably leave late morning and make a stop
                          for a hour or so in Sacramento.

                          As to equipment, I have:
                          - 4 season, 2 man tent- no other occupant as of yet. Will sleep in
                          another's tent if that works out.
                          - 60m, 8.5mm dry rope
                          - pickets, rock hardware, deadman, ice screws- I plan right now to
                          bring 2 pickets, deadman and a few larger stoppers with biners and
                          webbing.
                          - avalanche transceiver (not digital) and shovel- who else is bringing beacons?
                          - 70cm mountaineering axe. Will bring a 55cm BD cobra hammer but will
                          probably leave at the car.
                          - AT skis. Sounds like there is a lot of snow down low. I plan to
                          drop them off at the base of the ridge
                          - Stove I have a MSR Whisperlite Int'l and pots. Others may have
                          better stoves. Do we have cooking teams, food allocations?
                          - GPS- basic
                          - Crampons- I will bring 12pt step in crampons. I can bring older
                          strap on crampons if someone has big feet and doesn't mind crampons
                          that probably need sharpening.

                          - Phil Klein

                          B> Tom Cronin <tombcronin@yahoo. com> wrote:
                          B> Please confirm if you are still planning on attending the CMC Mt. Shasta
                          B> Casaval Ridge climb on April 19 - 20. Also, indicate if you want to
                          B> carpool or can offer transportation. If you need equipment or tent
                          B> space please advise.

                          B> My current personal plan is to leave the Bay Area early afternoon on
                          B> Friday April 18 and camp at Bunny Flat Friday night. I am going to be
                          B> ready to go early Saturday morning say around 7:00 am. We will
                          B> establish a high camp around 9,800' Saturday night and then get an early
                          B> start, i.e. 3:00 am, Sunday to summit and return home.

                          B> Example reply: I will be driving from blank leaving at blank time and
                          B> have space for blank people in my car. I have room for blank people in
                          B> my tent and need a blank.

                          ***

                          B> Equipment: Here are some suggestions: Helmet, harness, crampons, boots,
                          B> sunglasses, sunscreen, gaiters, stove, shovel, tent, pad, sleeping bag,
                          B> food, spoon, hat, gloves, waterproof pants, jacket, trekking poles,
                          B> pickets, rope, screws, carabiners, slings, nalgene bottles, headlamp,
                          B> GPS, map, compass, whistle, radios, cell phone, etc. Each person is
                          B> responsible for getting a self issue permit at the trail head which used
                          B> to be $15. I hope to form our group into teams of four or so people for
                          B> the climb.

                          B> By April 16 we should have an accurate weather report and we can make a
                          B> final go/no go decision.

                          B> I am looking forward to this climb enjoying everyone's company!

                          B> Sincerely,

                          B> Tom Cronin
                          B> 925-207-5325 cell
                        • Tom Cronin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 15 12:55 PM
                            Hi Micky, thanks for the e-mail.  I certainly do have concerns.  Looks like we will have some weather if we go and it will be more technical.  At this point I think it is still okay to go but it will not necessarily be an easy climb.  More to follow, Tom

                            Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                            Hey Tom,

                            I'm not sure if you've seen it yet but there is a posting with some great photos of Casaval Ridge from last weekend:

                            The last comment on the thread concludes with:

                            I wouldn't do Casaval right now, personally- from the looks of the photos, all the steep parts with exposure seem to be nothing but wind-blasted, snow- & ice-covered talus... not my idea of a good time, anyway...
                            It is only one opinion but does it raise any concern?  In your opinion do the current conditions increase the technical nature of the climb that in turn lowers the likliehood of summitting?
                            Thanks,
                            Micky

                            On 4/14/08, Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
                            Good!  I will send out another message in a day or so, Tom

                            Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                            Tom,

                            Ok - I can now commit to being there!

                            I'm sure there will be some more e-mail contact before the weekend but I'm looking forward to meeting up with you in the parking lot Friday night/Sat morning.

                            Thanks,
                            Micky

                            On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:
                            Hi Micky,  Hope to see you in a week!  Tom

                            Micky Bazydlo <mickybazydlo@...> wrote:
                            Tom,

                            I'm 85% sure I will be driving from Orange County with my girlfriend Alysa (she will not be doing the climb) leaving on Friday around noon.  We might have room for a 3rd but plan on staying through Tuesday to get some skiing in.

                            I plan on bringing a bivy sack for the night on the ridge.  I have the following for communal use:

                            White gas stove
                            9mmx60m rope
                            2 pickets
                            2 ice screws
                            2 motorola radios
                            1 shovel

                            I plan on skiing in and carrying the skis up to the camp on the ridge if conditions are favorable for it.

                            I will confirm (hopefully not decline) early next week.

                            -Micky

                            On 4/10/08, WILLIAM DUONOLA <williedee@...> wrote:
                            Hi Tom,

                            I'm coming up with Paul Galvin from the L.A. Area and we will be leaving Thursday night or early Friday morning.  I am trying to rent a white gas stove (as I only have butane), get a 4 season tent which I will share with Paul and am also bringing my bivy.  I have all gear you suggested with the exception of pickets and radios (Paul has a GPS).  I have a 60 meter 10.2 mm rope that is not coated and would prefer if we can borrow a lighter weight dry rope if anyone has one.   In case needed, I will throw in the car,  6 - 22 cm ice screws, ice tools, V thread tool, 10 mm webbing,  2 rappel rings with throw away carabiners, a 22 ft. 8 mm cordelette, crevasse rescue prusiks, snowshoes.

                            Take Care,
                            Will Duonola

[...]

                            between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

                          • Philip C. Klein
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 15 5:02 PM
                              My concern is not some much technical difficultly but that Shasta is a
                              volcano and the rock is lousy. When it is covered with snow, you do
                              not have to deal with the talus and loose rock. Without the snow, it
                              becomes a decidedly less pleasant climb.

                              From the climbing route conditions page of the ranger webpage:

                              "Casaval is in OK shape but some climbers are traversing to finish
                              on the West Face route above 12,500 ft. Due to exposed loose rock
                              patches, several detours below the ridge crest are being used.. . . "

                              Someone should call the rangers on the phone and get a more detailed
                              description of the route's condition.

                              - Phil Klein